Waking up

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
Hi

Does anyone else wake up feeling extremely tired even though you have had a good nights sleep. I woke up Thursday felt like absolute s###. Tired for the rest of the day. And Friday I got up feeling tired again went to the foot doctor and went on to my volunteer group. I got home approximately 1pm and by 1:15 I had fallen a sleep and woke up 4 hours later. And my mouth felt so dry and my lips were so dry I could pick what I can only call dry skin of my lips. Has anyone else had this type of thing

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What was your blood levels running at on this day? The dry lips and mouth are usually an indicator that they were high and this can cause tiredness.

Other things can also cause it though...

pileobunnies

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it's not your glucose being too high, there could be other causes. This could also be sleep apnea. It too would cause tiredness and dry mouth.

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
Hi donnellysdogs I have never taken my blood levels as I was told I didn't need to coz I'm Type2. And my Hb1Ac was a good indication.

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
Hi pileobunnies I spoke to my doctor about this and he said with my Hb1Ac being fine that this wasn't the cause. And he asked me a few questions about sleep apnea and o scored 2 or 3 so it was ruled out.

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
Hello cyclist just my usually diet. Nothing different but I get this dry mouth every now and again but the tiredness is always there. Sometimes I feel like I have energy and I feel good in my self but when o have the dry mouth it does seem to bring me down or co-insides with it

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You have been told standard NHS advice to type 2's.. No need to test...

What was your last hba1c?

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I find I to get very tired about midday and it appears to be when my BG is at its highest but they never reach duble figures
After a 20 min sleep I'm fine again

Reactions: 2 people

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
Donnellysdogs it was 7.2. I had my last Hba1c last week and awaiting new results.

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
Jay1jay1 I can sleep for 4 hours or more and still feel tired

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
'No need to test' seems to be quite standard advice for type 2's but it's well worth getting a testing kit so that you can see for yourself whether high BG is the cause of this tiredness. Perhaps also try lowering your carbs for a few days to see if you see any improvement.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Donnellysdogs it was 7.2. I had my last Hba1c last week and awaiting new results.

With an hba1c of 7.2... That is not fine. It proves that you need to get a machine and strips and do some testing..

I'm not type 2 so hopefully other type 2's will come along and give advice and what the hba1c should be for a "fine" diabetic.

It sounds to me as youare being fobbed off as a lot of type 2's are.. "No need to test"....

Tiredness can also be from inactivity as well as an illness. Can be jyst from not opening up windows and getting fresh air and having daily exercise.

Reactions: 2 people

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
Hi Natalie1974. Yes I do need to test. I did do the carbs thing and didn't change anything.

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
Yes donnellysdogs I will be getting a machine. I do go to the gym 3 times a week but it's hard when you finish work at 8pm, 9pm, 10pm or 11pm

TrinMonroe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you definitely need to get a tester and keep an eye on your blood sugar levels through out the day...the hb1c test is an overall result and it sounds to me like your levels are spiking.
Have you been tested for iron deficiency? I felt like you and i now have B12 injections every 5 weeks and its honestly like someone has recharged my batteries. I think you need to ask your doctor to be tested for this.
Test your sugars before a meal and 1-2 hours after for a week and then you will see where your sugars are spiking. You may need to change your diet to adjust to your bodies needs and/or maybe some meds?
Good luck :)

Reactions: 4 people

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
Hi TrinMonroe. I am ordering a meter The SD CodeFree Blood Glucose Monitoring System has been recommended. My iron levels are fine I had this and every other test you can image whilst I was in hospital for pulmonary embolisms on my lungs. That was 6 weeks ago. It's not the weather this has happened in the winter. Felt a bit groggy this morning but not as tired.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi TrinMonroe. I am ordering a meter The SD CodeFree Blood Glucose Monitoring System has been recommended. My iron levels are fine I had this and every other test you can image whilst I was in hospital for pulmonary embolisms on my lungs. That was 6 weeks ago. It's not the weather this has happened in the winter. Felt a bit groggy this morning but not as tired.

Being diabetic, did they undertake any finger prick blood tests when you were in hospital?

TrinMonroe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you drinking enough fluids? Being dehydrated can make you feel tired and slugish too,

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Alan, Welcome to the Forum, some really good advice from the other posters. The HbA1c test is only an average over a 3 month period, you need to know what your bg is doing before and after each meal. If you have been feeling very tired (and you have been checked for everything else) it is probably due to a spike in your bg levels.

I found in the beginning that although I cut my carbs quite a lot, if I ate too much this would spike my bg and I would feel very tired and fall asleep, so portion size is also important.

Have a good look round the site and ask questions, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here to help.

Good luck

Marilyn