Hypos and eyes

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all - just wondering if anyone feels eye pain with a hypo? I've had 3 mild hypos in 24 hours (after a 4 mile run) & my eyes have been really sore - needed ice on. Once the hypo has subsided the eye pain disappeared! Never had this before & wondered if anyone else had? Thanks.

Atalay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Medusa41,
Three times a day of hypos is not that good news. I have only felt eye pain whenever I get very sleepy, or couldn't get enough sleep and feel very hungry because of my low carb diet. Weel, as far as I experienced, tiredness and hunger at the same time may cause eye pain for the ones with T1. Still, better have your eyes checked for a potential damage to your eye microveins. I know I may sound a bit bitter, but I hope this will make you have your appointment as early as possible.

I hope there is nothing wrong with your eyes.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't experienced eye pain with hypos but maybe others have. If it only occurs with hypos then it's best to avoid them. Before going for a run, do you reduce insulin? When on MDI, I reduced any bolus before dancing and also had to reduce that evening's basal or I'd go hypo next day. If you don't eat before running but go hypo you'll either have to eat something(without insulin) or reduce the basal that's working at that time.

If you haven't had your eyes tested recently, see your optician and you could mention the eye pain, just in case.

Reactions: 2 people

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Medusa41,
Three times a day of hypos is not that good news. I have only felt eye pain whenever I get very sleepy, or couldn't get enough sleep and feel very hungry because of my low carb diet. Weel, as far as I experienced, tiredness and hunger at the same time may cause eye pain for the ones with T1. Still, better have your eyes checked for a potential damage to your eye microveins. I know I may sound a bit bitter, but I hope this will make you have your appointment as early as possible.

I hope there is nothing wrong with your eyes.
Thanks @Atalay - it is v unusual for me as I am also on a lchf diet - my own fault for doing a 4 mile run in the heat without reducing my Lantus! I have only had 2 hypos all year til now. My eyes were checked thoroughly in Feb & I have retinopathy test next month too. Thanks. Just bizarre - maybe a coincidence! Thank u got yr reply.

Atalay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha! to me!
Shows I am the newbie around answering your post so quickly!!!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi Medusa41
i get the odd pain in my eyes but have never associated it with low blood sugar particularly.

I get what is known as the halo effect - a green halo appearing in the centre of my eyes when blood sugar is between 2.3 -2.8

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get eye disturbances when having a hypo, mainly to my vision. It usually disappears when over the hypo. I would personally go 'with it' and avoid the ice! Let them get back naturally! The pollen is really high at the moment and according to my eye nurse,us diabetics do tend to have sensitive eyes, just a thought...I wouldn't be too alarmed if they are not sore once the hypo is dealt with :cool:

Reactions: 4 people

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't experienced eye pain with hypos but maybe others have. If it only occurs with hypos then it's best to avoid them. Before going for a run, do you reduce insulin? When on MDI, I reduced any bolus before dancing and also had to reduce that evening's basal or I'd go hypo next day. If you don't eat before running but go hypo you'll either have to eat something(without insulin) or reduce the basal that's working at that time.

If you haven't had your eyes tested recently, see your optician and you could mention the eye pain, just in case.
Thanks @dancer - I realised I should've reduced my basal that evening after my run but totally forgot! Yes I did eat half a banana prior to the run. Usually I don't have many hypos (since starting lchf). It was just odd regarding the eye pain - never had this before. Thanks yes I have had my eyes checked recently. Many thanks for the reply. :)

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
I get eye disturbances when having a hypo, mainly to my vision. It usually disappears when over the hypo. I would personally go 'with it' and avoid the ice! Let them get back naturally! The pollen is really high at the moment and according to my eye nurse,us diabetics do tend to have sensitive eyes, just a thought...I wouldn't be too alarmed if they are not sore once the hypo is dealt with :cool:
I agree with nina B73, I get visual disturbances during a hypo and they feel very tired and uncomfortable afterwards until I've had a rest, but no pain. I agree too though that it is hot and very dry and probably irritating your eyes which may be more sensitive?

Nick Loakes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you find your having eye pain or soreness at any time you should probably go for an eye screening!

laurals11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, I sometimes have eye pain , bought a gel eye pad which lives in fridge which is great for pain relief. I often have blinding headache after hypo . Eyes were ok when screened this year..T1 28 years