Flavoured Water

GerryOB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a fasting blood test in the morning, prior to my 6 monthly review next week. I can not stand drinking plain water, is it ok to drink flavoured water? In this heat, I can't not drink anything, as I keep feeling woozy if I get dehydrated. A whole 500ml bottle, contains 6 calories, although I know I won't drink the whole bottle before morning. Will that affect the results or am I better to go without?

Many thanks.

Emma1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Most flavoured waters have sugar in too so it'll affect the test. Best to avoid.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why can't you drink plain tap water? I drink it all the time, litre upon litre in this heat. And the occasional glass of sea salt and water of course.

If a 500 ml bottle contains 6 carbs and you need something like four to six bottles, that is two or three litres when it's very hot, possibly much more, that adds up to something like 24 to 36 grams of carbs just from drinking expensive water when there is perfectly fine, carb free water on tap. I rarely go above 30 grams of carbs in a day so if you need to control BG it seems a bit wasteful to have so many carbs in your drink, doesn't leave much space for nice foods.

I find cold tea can be very nice on a hot day. Not the sweet iced tea variety but plain tea, maybe made rather weak or diluted. Or put a few slices of cucumber in a glass of water or a slice of lemon if you don't like the taste of tap water. Or whatever you fancy.

GerryOB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Plain water, either from a bottle or a tap, makes me retch. I used to always drink squash, but have now got onto the flavoured water which is much better.

The one I'm drinking say cals: 10 (I thought it was 6...my mistake), Sugars: Nil, Fat: Nil, Saturates: Nil, Salt: Trace.
If it's got no sugars, fat, saturates and only a trace of salt, surely that can't be an issue can it?

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it's got no sugars, fat, saturates and only a trace of salt, surely that can't be an issue can it?

Yes! It's 8 hours!! Plain water doesn't get the digestive juices flowing. The flavouring in your water will get your enzymes going and start the digestive process. Which means you're not fasting!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Plain water, either from a bottle or a tap, makes me retch. I used to always drink squash, but have now got onto the flavoured water which is much better.

The one I'm drinking say cals: 10 (I thought it was 6...my mistake), Sugars: Nil, Fat: Nil, Saturates: Nil, Salt: Trace.
Sounds strange, if there are calories in it there also have to be either carbs, protein or fat and I'll put my money on carbs in some form.

Have you ever tried to make flavoured water yourself from plain tap water? I particularly like cucumber flavoured water this time of year. Or you could try to a few pieces of melon or whatever you fancy.

Reactions: 2 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lemon ginger fresh mint and cucmber chuck it in water and leave it for an hour or so, I have just started having cold green tea, its absolutely amazing.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Some 'sugars' i.e. specific carbs are not classified as 'sugars' so the drink may contain some carbs.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be best to ho without. Are you able to get the test done quite early in the morning

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most flavoured waters have sugar in too so it'll affect the test. Best to avoid.
I was told it was ok <0·5g of carbs and <0·5g which sugars is hardly anything and is less than vegetables and we're advised eat plenty vegetables.

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lemon ginger fresh mint and cucmber chuck it in water and leave it for an hour or so, I have just started having cold green tea, its absolutely amazing.
Green tea!!! tried that once URGH!!!!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Japanese tea ... cannot beat it