FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

sp41700

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If they aren't sticking , contact Abbott. They are supposed to last 14 days, and if they won't stick for fourteen days they are not meeting the advertising and Abbott will replace.
Thanks for the tip. I will get onto them tomorrow.

:)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Aaargh, talking of sensors not sticking... I played a particularly sweaty game of cricket last night. When I got up this morning, instead of having the sensor on my arm it had decided to lie next to me on the bed. The glue on the sticky pad was barely even sticky. I don't think they've changed the glue, but I'm pretty certain they aren't always using as much. And it was such an accurate sensor. Oh well, new one has gone on on my back...

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aaargh, talking of sensors not sticking... I played a particularly sweaty game of cricket last night. When I got up this morning, instead of having the sensor on my arm it had decided to lie next to me on the bed. The glue on the sticky pad was barely even sticky. I don't think they've changed the glue, but I'm pretty certain they aren't always using as much. And it was such an accurate sensor. Oh well, new one has gone on on my back...
I agree I think they are using less too. Mines finishing Monday but I really need it to last over the weekend as I'll be having a few drinks.

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
I always use this tape to keep it stuck, even during football games it works: http://www.24pharma.be/hansaplast-m...-1-stuk.html?gclid=CJCP5enSvMYCFfQZtAodmfYAoA

However I only tape after 6 or 7 days since it isn't nice to have the tape on you for 2 weeks. Football players could place their sensor just after a game and then the next week (or game) tape it.

Careful not to put the tape too tight so it wont press the sensor into your arm, but also not to loose or it will not keep the sensor on.

Since I started putting sensors on my leg I haven't played a game, wonder how that will go.

Reactions: 2 people

sp41700

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks to Tim2000s for the tip I called Abbott this morning to get a replacement for the sensor that lasted only 4 hours after a particularly sweaty bike ride today. I queried the stickiness and was told they are looking at the stickiness issue including changing it. Apparently there are people finding that it removes their skin when the sensor gets removed, OUCH!

Having read the comments above and from my own experience it seems the issue may be more to do with sweat.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks to Tim2000s for the tip I called Abbott this morning to get a replacement for the sensor that lasted only 4 hours after a particularly sweaty bike ride today. I queried the stickiness and was told they are looking at the stickiness issue including changing it. Apparently there are people finding that it removes their skin when the sensor gets removed, OUCH!

Having read the comments above and from my own experience it seems the issue may be more to do with sweat.
The conversation I had about mine this morning suggested that they are having a few issues in the heat, and quite a few of the sensors have just "fallen off"! Seems that with the glue reaction and the stickiness or otherwise, this one is proving a challenge for Abbott!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@sp41700 - my sensor pulls large chunks of skin off when I remove them - it's terrible. Even the ones that don't stick properly and need Opsite over them pull skin off when I remove them on day 14 - the Opsite sticks firmly, causes me no skin irritation and removes easily and cleanly after 14 days without removing lumps of skin. Why don't Abbott just use the same adhesive on the sensors - you wouldn't think it would be this hard - they can invent a great piece of technology like the Libre but cannot come up with a suitable adhesive - really?

Incidentally, I use alcohol free adhesive remover wipes to soak the edge of the sensor skirt and lift it gradually, soaking each new area as I go. Never make any sudden pull and work around the sensor slowly. This seems to minimise the pulling away of skin.

Smidge

Reactions: 4 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's strange that I seem to get the skin pulling off thing with the BB tape and the opsite, but not the sensor!!

sp41700

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@sp41700 - my sensor pulls large chunks of skin off when I remove them - it's terrible. Even the ones that don't stick properly and need Opsite over them pull skin off when I remove them on day 14 - the Opsite sticks firmly, causes me no skin irritation and removes easily and cleanly after 14 days without removing lumps of skin. Why don't Abbott just use the same adhesive on the sensors - you wouldn't think it would be this hard - they can invent a great piece of technology like the Libre but cannot come up with a suitable adhesive - really?

Incidentally, I use alcohol free adhesive remover wipes to soak the edge of the sensor skirt and lift it gradually, soaking each new area as I go. Never make any sudden pull and work around the sensor slowly. This seems to minimise the pulling away of skin.

Smidge

The quickset infusion sets medtronic sold also used to fall off with sweat as well. I changed to the new roche pump 3 weeks ago and the glue they use on their infusion sets seems to work a treat. I changed the infusion set and the libre sensor this morning. Libre sensor fell off 4 hours later but infusion set is still going strong :)

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Wow after 4 hours? That really sucks!

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.

I've just had exactly the same thing; new sensor on for 1 day, I went running last night in the cool of the evening and the bloody thing just fell off; I was sweating but not very much; y'know more like 'glowing'...

That's rubbish!

Best

Dillinger

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
By the way; their phone system is a bit of a maze; this is the number for 'technical problems' i.e. yer sensor's fallen off;
0500 467 466

One of their messages said 'there are no advisors present please hang up or press 1 to leave a message' then when you press 1 you go through into a queue for an advisor. Good blood pressure raising potential there if you are feeling a bit hypotensive...

Reactions: 4 people

Microbe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
***Stupid question alert***
Are you all type 1 on this thread?
I'm type 2 and on basal/bolus insulin and am finding the Libre very useful, particularly the graphing and the way it shows the effect of various meals on my bg

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
***Stupid question alert***
Are you all type 1 on this thread?
I'm type 2 and on basal/bolus insulin and am finding the Libre very useful, particularly the graphing and the way it shows the effect of various meals on my bg

Feel free to join in @Microbe, the thread is for anyone who uses the Libre.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After reading many posts about the Libre, I couldn't decide whether it would be suitable for me or not.

I have a very dry sensitive skin so was put off by the posts showing bad reactions to the sensors. I eventually decided to go on the "waiting list" and decide what to do when I got the long awaited e-mail. Then I decided I'd go for it and maybe I'd be lucky and not react to the sensor.

I was then put off by the posts about skin being torn off when removing the sensor. That just seemed too much . . . but it doesn't happen to everyone.

I've been waiting over 3 months now and expect to wait at least another month before I get the e-mail. I'll probably go ahead with it but it's a lot of money to waste if it's no use to me. Is there any problem passing on the Libre to someone else? Would they be able to order sensors even though they didn't buy the Libre themselves?

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
If it helps at all, I have contact dermatitis which is mainly confined to my hands and I'm happy to say I've had no reaction from the sensor even though I have sensitive skin. I'm on my second one and the first one peeled away very easily not taking any skin with it. As you have to be registered with Abbott to get the Libre and sensors, I think if you passed it on to a the third party they would probably have difficulty in getting any support and any further sensors.

sp41700

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After reading many posts about the Libre, I couldn't decide whether it would be suitable for me or not.

I have a very dry sensitive skin so was put off by the posts showing bad reactions to the sensors. I eventually decided to go on the "waiting list" and decide what to do when I got the long awaited e-mail. Then I decided I'd go for it and maybe I'd be lucky and not react to the sensor.

I was then put off by the posts about skin being torn off when removing the sensor. That just seemed too much . . . but it doesn't happen to everyone.

I've been waiting over 3 months now and expect to wait at least another month before I get the e-mail. I'll probably go ahead with it but it's a lot of money to waste if it's no use to me. Is there any problem passing on the Libre to someone else? Would they be able to order sensors even though they didn't buy the Libre themselves?

My main reason for trying is I wanted to know what my blood glucose was doing in between my meter testing. Certainly for adjusting the basal on a pump using the libre or a cgm is soooo much easier than having to wake up very two hours to test!

Of course you don't have to wear it use it all the time. You can say use it every few months for the 14 days to check how things are going or if you are having challenging bg readings.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My main reason for trying is I wanted to know what my blood glucose was doing in between my meter testing. Certainly for adjusting the basal on a pump using the libre or a cgm is soooo much easier than having to wake up very two hours to test!

Of course you don't have to wear it use it all the time. You can say use it every few months for the 14 days to check how things are going or if you are having challenging bg readings.
Yes, my thoughts exactly. It takes me over a week to recover from overnight basal testing so some form of cgm would be a great help in many respects. I just don't want my skin to break out any more than usual.

Jackie100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So what happens if after one week the sensor lifts off all one side do I have to discard it and start another one ?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So what happens if after one week the sensor lifts off all one side do I have to discard it and start another one ?
Never discard it until it stops giving you readings. If it pulls off or lifts like that, contact Abbott for a replacement.