Traveling to USA from Europe. Tips?

kaup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

Im flying to New York on Monday from Poland. Flight departures 10.10 and arrives in New York 20.45.

My insulin is Lantus and Novorapid. Usually i take my long lasting insulin Lantus on mornings.

How should i take my Insulin during this long flight? And how do i adjust to the time difference in USA? Going to fly from New York to Las Vegas.

Any tips and suggestions?

Mia_Malaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people, weird textures and dentists!!
When I flew to Japan last year it was a 13 hour flight with an 8 hour time delay. I also take novarapid and lantus, but I take lantus before bed.

I just didn't take my lantus at all during the flight, and just had novarapid (mainly because I wasn't sure what else to do!) But it worked for me :)

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
When I fly from manchester to portland , oregon via amsterdam I just don't take my normal night dose of lantus until the evening of arrival in my destination -- as I am awake for the whole trip i just do extra testing and correction doses of fast acting insulin to keep BG's as close to normal as possible
seems to work for me

Reactions: 4 people

kaup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So if i usually take my Lantus 09.00 in mornings European time, i should wait until evening when i arrive in New York 21.00?

My Lantus dose is 35 units. Should i take half of it before i departure and then take short doses of Novorapid?

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi Kaup, I travel a lot back and forth to Thailand.....I keep my watch set to European time, and keep the same insulin dose....When I arrive, I then change slowly with time. I don't think big changes while flying is a good thing to do....And this works for me :)

Reactions: 2 people

kaup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanx. Do i need to have a letter from my doctor stating that im a diabetic in order to enter USA? my doctor said its not needed. and i do not have it now

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi Kaup, Sorry! This answer might be too later now ......I've never needed a letter from the doc, and that includes travelling to the USA. Have a good trip!

D

Deleted Account

I travel quite a lot - some times to Europe, some times further afield.
I start preparing my insulin times about a week before I go (depending on where I am going) knowing that Lantus does not last exactly 24 hours so I have some leeway. Basically, I aim to take my Lantus at approximately the same time on holiday as I do at home (I try to take it with my evening meal). To achieve this with the time difference, I move the time I take my insulin by an hour to 90 minutes per day. If I m moving a lot between time zones or not staying for long, I just remember to take the Lantus 22 to 26 hours after I last took it.

As for a letter, I always have a letter with me regardless of where I travel. This is need to ensure I can take sharps and medication on flights, etc.
I have only been asked for it once (when the airports were on very high terrorist alert) but for piece of mind, I would never head for the airport without it. The risk of being separated from my insulin or my meter being confiscated are too high.

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
I have had (In the past) airport security ask me what my insulin was.....So I answer in Thai ''Bawan''....In Czech ''Sukrofka'' meaning ''diabetic''...If I had a letter from my doctor, the security guys wouldn't be able to read it anyway :)
However, if it makes individuals feel better, and safer to carry a doc letter, then I agree with ''helensaramay'' won't hurt to get one.