What's the lowest you've gone without noticing?

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You're all right about what we perceive to be okay may be totally rubbish when low. I am very prone to deny the chances of being hypo when I am low, I crashed the whole computer system at work because I didn't understand why my computer wasn't working properly, I was convinced the engineers had changed the system remotely!! Afterwards when I was back to normal (as normal as it gets) I was mortified at what I had said and done.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hey Nosher.

The reactive hypoglycaemicia. Is it possible that certain individuals can get this at certain times of their life. Like in the teens & 20's. Then have no issue later..??
I'll elaborate. (Please don't don't take my enquirery as an unempathic Q. Or a "you'll grow out of it." Lol none of us like that s##t.) ;) As a teen my old school mate told he used to suffer on odd occaisions, from his description the symptoms we would say was a hypo. He stopped it with sugar.
My wife experienced the same in her late teens/early 20s.. She also shared a house a number of years ago. (When I first met her.) this one guy sharing used to frequently show signs of hypoglycaemicia, even slumped in the kitchen confused trying to eat.. Though in my view he may have been a secret T1?

In some ways I'm glad I met a woman that has somewhat experienced the symptom.. It means she can understand without the stupid over reaction. :cool:
Good question, when you actually got there!;)
I believe yes, as the diversity of blood glucose problems, i.e. T1,T2, 1.5, Lada, brittle,RH and so on. There must be occasions, when certain people must do.
I'll tag @Brunneria because even though she is both RH and T2!:eek: she will give you more info about such things!:)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good question, when you actually got there!;)
I believe yes, as the diversity of blood glucose problems, i.e. T1,T2, 1.5, Lada, brittle,RH and so on. There must be occasions, when certain people must do.
I'll tag @Brunneria because even though she is both RH and T2!:eek: she will give you more info about such things!:)

Yeah, :oops: sorry about the waffle.
I respect your posts & didn't (in the written word.) wish to come across as dismissive of your particular condition... Perhaps I was just a little too over mindful of my post.? :rolleyes::D ;)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just a tad!!
I unfortunately seem unable to write short posts!:rolleyes:
Why write a sentence, when you can post an essay?:cool:;)

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I've gone low whilst gigging & noticed my syptoms, then glugging the sweet stuff during guitar breaks on stage.
Finishing the set a good 30 or 40 minutes later getting the chance & tested in the mid 2s. So who knows what I was during...?
I normally treat first & test. Seeing the odd low around 1.2 but surprised how together I am to treat.
I've never passed out or needed assistance ever.

Though with regards to other people's perception of me while low. I've seen a couple of videos of the performance & I fancy I just about got away with it!? Lol :D;)

You rockers; always altering your consciousness in the name of art...

:woot:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Nosher.

The reactive hypoglycaemicia. Is it possible that certain individuals can get this at certain times of their life. Like in the teens & 20's. Then have no issue later..??
I'll elaborate. (Please don't don't take my enquirery as an unempathic Q. Or a "you'll grow out of it." Lol none of us like that s##t.) ;) As a teen my old school mate told he used to suffer on odd occaisions, from his description the symptoms we would say was a hypo. He stopped it with sugar.
My wife experienced the same in her late teens/early 20s.. She also shared a house a number of years ago. (When I first met her.) this one guy sharing used to frequently show signs of hypoglycaemicia, even slumped in the kitchen confused trying to eat.. Though in my view he may have been a secret T1?

In some ways I'm glad I met a woman that has somewhat experienced the symptom.. It means she can understand without the stupid over reaction. :cool:

Hi,

I found some studies on it once.
Apparently RH is very common. About 50% experience it at some point, and around a quarter of women experience it at least once a month. Connected to hormones, often. So the more messed up your hormones are, the more likely it is that you experience RH. But, for the same reason, most people deal with it easily, in its milder form - sudden hunger - snack, or eat meal -feel better - carry on as normal, without even noticing that their shaking hands, hunger and lack of focus was a mild hypo...

No idea how that affects men (cos they have a lot of hormone stuff going on at different phases, don't they?) but I'm sure it does.

Diane Cress (American diabetic dietician, advocating carb control) reckons that a lot of people start out with RH as a kind of pre-preD (with no idea that's the reason they want carby food NOW!), then some of those escalate to T2. She reckons that appropriate dietary intervention (book details in my sig) allows such mild RHers and preDs to reset their insulin response, and avoid T2.

My own experience is that PMT, stress and strong emotions make it FAR worse. In fact, half my PMT symptoms (including irrational rage and a desire to rip people's throats out), match my RH hypo symptoms and their aftermath. And all of those, including the insulin and glucagon relationship, are all hormones or governed by hormones, aren't they?

So yes, it is amazingly common, almost everyday.
It's only when it gets severe and life impacting that people start to notice.

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a resolved T2 for my sins; in other words diagnosed as T2, now recorded as resolved and removed from the Diabetic Register.

I quite often see mid-low 3s these days, pre-meals, and I have seen a couple of 2s, with the lowest being 2.6. I was OK, but when at those lower ends I'm usually hungry. Indeed the 2.6 was when I hadn't eaten for longer than usual, due to an unexpected change in plans.

I reckon my body just works that way now. As I feel fine, I'm unconcerned, and conclude that many truly non-diabetic folks probably go to these levels, but have no idea because they also feel fine, but don't test.

Have any of you guys ever tested your spouses when they're pretty hungry, or would that simply be a foolhardy process and a fast-track to dicing with death?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My teen bosses me about and is really assertive, she's the one in charge, lowest ( I knew of) was a 1.1, 2013, sweeping up my kitchen floor and crying, two days after an eye operation, teen came down stairs and said, "mum what are you doing".........................:rolleyes: :eek:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had lows like that in the past too and felt surprisingly ok. And, as others have said, higher results and felt awful.

Hypos seem to vary. I usually get the sweaty, shaking ones, but I sometimes get ones where, for example, my head just feels weird. I've always assumed it's to do with how quickly you're dropping.

1.2 is scary though as I used to think it'd suddenly go right down before I could absorb the dextrose tablets. I find Lucozade or coke safer for those really low lows.

No idea how you had the wit to photograph that and post though! I often go completely vacant when I have a bad hypo!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
1.2 while working and only knew as I was getting very confused

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My teen bosses me about and is really assertive, she's the one in charge, lowest ( I knew of) was a 1.1, 2013, sweeping up my kitchen floor and crying, two days after an eye operation, teen came down stairs and said, "mum what are you doing".........................:rolleyes: :eek:

My daughter is like this, assertive and very observant. So when she found me sitting on my bed one afternoon and said, "Mum, are you ok? What are you doing?" and I replied that I was fine, looked at her blankly, didn't say I was busy doing s** all! , she said, "Hmmm!" and brought me a cheese sandwich and a cup of tea, and watched me consume them. :(:rolleyes::)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My daughter is like this, assertive and very observant. So when she found me sitting on my bed one afternoon and said, "Mum, are you ok? What are you doing?" and I replied that I was fine, looked at her blankly, didn't say I was busy doing s** all! , she said, "Hmmm!" and brought me a cheese sandwich and a cup of tea, and watched me consume them. :(:rolleyes::)

Wow, they are incredible aren't they, my teen 'knows' she's like a human alert dog. She is incredible:)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a resolved T2 for my sins; in other words diagnosed as T2, now recorded as resolved and removed from the Diabetic Register.

I quite often see mid-low 3s these days, pre-meals, and I have seen a couple of 2s, with the lowest being 2.6. I was OK, but when at those lower ends I'm usually hungry. Indeed the 2.6 was when I hadn't eaten for longer than usual, due to an unexpected change in plans.

I reckon my body just works that way now. As I feel fine, I'm unconcerned, and conclude that many truly non-diabetic folks probably go to these levels, but have no idea because they also feel fine, but don't test.

Have any of you guys ever tested your spouses when they're pretty hungry, or would that simply be a foolhardy process and a fast-track to dicing with death?

Good idea, but you'd have to catch them first!

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1436132355.524131.jpg
errr that lol

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It used to be that if I went low while knitting, I'd make mistakes with really simple patterns, when my BG was just under 4.

Recently I've been knitting an Aran cardigan and have made no mistakes when I've been as low as 2.3, and only found out because it was time to test, not because I felt low. I find that rather worrying!

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
My wife is better than any B/G monitor,she can spot my lows,thankfully because I have lost my hypo awareness.A lifesaver.

Reactions: 3 people

xequtor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
awareness of hypo is often related to how fast your blood sugar drops, if its sudden drop, lets say from 100mg/dL to 30-40mg/dL in about 30 min you will notice it but if goes slow down to 30-40mg/dL over few hours then you may not be aware of it.
My lowest was about 25mg/dL, 25 is on the edge I'm fine up to 30-40, but that differs from person to person.

jackvdbuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
awareness of hypo is often related to how fast your blood sugar drops, if its sudden drop, lets say from 100mg/dL to 30-40mg/dL in about 30 min you will notice it but if goes slow down to 30-40mg/dL over few hours then you may not be aware of it.
My lowest was about 25mg/dL, 25 is on the edge I'm fine up to 30-40, but that differs from person to person.
i pretty much lost all hypo awarenes due to having too many of them in short time...

now im on novo/lantus im starting to slowly get the warning signs as im trying to run slightly high 6--9 sugars. ,my doc said it was because i was running "low" constantly i couldnt tell.

had some really bad ones 2.2 etc at work, but usually i was totally unaware until i would faceplant the floor and my manager runs over with lucozade and sugary food. very embarrassing having those once a month or so.. ...but now changed thanks to trhe new regime.

xequtor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i pretty much lost all hypo awarenes due to having too many of them in short time...

now im on novo/lantus im starting to slowly get the warning signs as im trying to run slightly high 6--9 sugars. ,my doc said it was because i was running "low" constantly i couldnt tell.

had some really bad ones 2.2 etc at work, but usually i was totally unaware until i would faceplant the floor and my manager runs over with lucozade and sugary food. very embarrassing having those once a month or so.. ...but now changed thanks to trhe new regime.

that's also true, if you have "constant" or too oft hypos then is normal you get used to it.

I had one blackout at out where they called ambulance, other time blacked out where I found my self under the desk but before hit the whiteboard with my head and left blood trace on the board and floor but no one noticed, was alone in the office.

I have now FreeSyle Liber for last 3 weeks and can better manage my hypos, 1. I see when I had one 2. I can test my "BG" (its not really BG but I see not diff to BG tests) often, I'm by 30 test per 24h.

Last edited by a moderator:

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The lowest I've had was 2.2 without noticing it but thats nothing compared to some of the ones mentioned above. When I went this low without noticing the only indication I had was that I felt I really need to test but didn't feel low, if you know what I mean.

As others mentioned I can also be a lot higher, say 3.9 or even over 4 at times and feel horrendous.

My Wife is also very good at spotting where my blood is heading, and will tell me to test if I'm looking a little on the grey side.