Probiotic Yoghurts...

Andy A

Hi all, a few days ago I suffered a spiderbite of all thigs that has led to an infection in my leg thats being treated with strong antibiotics, the doc recommended that I should get some "friendly bacteria" type youghurts, although I'm nowhere near convinced at their use in obtaining a udeful culture of gut bacteria I thought I would give them a go, the trouble is the ones I've seen in the shops all appear to be fairly high on carbs, does anybody know of a low carb alternative, thanks, Andy

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Try a full fat, natural Greek yogurt. Check label to make sure it's not been pasteurised.

Andy A

Hi, thanks for the quick replies, much appreciated, to say I'm not a fan of yoghurt is an understatement but I'll give the full fat Greek idea a go, didn't know you could get bacteria in pill format, guess their worth a try as well, I'll have more bacteria in my stomach than in a dirty dustbin within a week :D

One thing I have found out is that apparently if you want to stop being bitten by spiders and insects you need to increase your intake of vitamin B as they dont like it :lol: , anyhow, I'm off on my crutches to beat every spider I find in my shed to death as an act of reprisal...

JamesA

Andy A said:
Hi all, a few days ago I suffered a spiderbite of all thigs that has led to an infection in my leg thats being treated with strong antibiotics, the doc recommended that I should get some "friendly bacteria" type youghurts, although I'm nowhere near convinced at their use in obtaining a udeful culture of gut bacteria I thought I would give them a go, the trouble is the ones I've seen in the shops all appear to be fairly high on carbs, does anybody know of a low carb alternative, thanks, Andy

Did the doc explain how they would help? It seems bizarre to me!
Unless he's sponsored by Danone or someone.

I thought latest trials have shown they only work for a minority of people if you've got a bad stomach, so the chances of them helping you are very low.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
JamesA said:
Did the doc explain how they would help? It seems bizarre to me!
Unless he's sponsored by Danone or someone.
I think you will find that very strong antibiotics will kill pretty much everything in your gut, they also lower your immune system as they can not tell the difference between good and bad bacteria. Drinking something like Yacult or whatever its called will give you some protection.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge of antibiotics will correct me if I have got that wrong :)

sandiegirl

Hi Andy,
Afraid I cant add much to the discussion about good and bad bacteria - I am sure all that all the advise above more or less covers it BUT.....................
I have to ask about the spider bite! Please tell me that you got bitten whilst travelling deep into a rain forest in some god forsaken jungle, miles away from suburbia? And not at the top of your garden, in your shed, at number 32 Acacia Avenue, Normaltown??? This has to be my worst nightmare come true.................... spiders bite and can live at the bottom of my garden? Had you upset it anyway? I live in fear of when I have had to kill a spider, that its partner waiting for it at home, will come and wrap me in a cocoon of spider silk in the middle of the night and leave me there for eternity to spite me for killing its mate!
Mmmm, perhaps I really need to get out more.......
Speedy recovery to you Andy and if you should start growing 6 more legs, let me know and I will run for the hills.....
Sandie

humph

Spider bites are far worse than flu, I was laid up for 2 days, slept for nearly a whole day, huge rash, horrible.

Mine happened at work, in the UK.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Taking antibiotics by mouth wipes out your "gut Flora" ( note technical term) the use of unpasteurised yogurt, to replenish them is traditional. However, remember that pasteurising yogurt kills a lot of their culture. So whatever you use, watch sugar content and look out for pasteurisation.

Andy A

sandiegirl said:
Hi Andy,
Afraid I cant add much to the discussion about good and bad bacteria - I am sure all that all the advise above more or less covers it BUT.....................
I have to ask about the spider bite! Please tell me that you got bitten whilst travelling deep into a rain forest in some god forsaken jungle, miles away from suburbia? And not at the top of your garden, in your shed, at number 32 Acacia Avenue, Normaltown??? This has to be my worst nightmare come true.................... spiders bite and can live at the bottom of my garden? Had you upset it anyway? I live in fear of when I have had to kill a spider, that its partner waiting for it at home, will come and wrap me in a cocoon of spider silk in the middle of the night and leave me there for eternity to spite me for killing its mate!
Mmmm, perhaps I really need to get out more.......
Speedy recovery to you Andy and if you should start growing 6 more legs, let me know and I will run for the hills.....
Sandie

I'm afraid I was bitten in the garden whilst sorting out a bonfire, but worry not, biting spiders dont just live at the bottom of the garden, they live in the house and just about everywhere else as well, but to bring it into perspective there are roughly 640 types of spider in the UK of which 12 can bite hard enough to break human skin, the most common culprit it would appear being the woodlouse spider which only grows to about 15mm across. the ****** that bit me was a false widow, not native to the UK but now well established across the South East and spreading quickly, being bitten has turned me into a spider spotter :lol:

After being bitten on Tuesday evening and not being able to get the antibiotics early from my doctor I finally ended up with 24 hours in hospital for 3 doses by intravenous drip :shock: , not my idea of fun but it appears to have done the trick and beaten the infection, which had spread from my ankle to my knee the entire circumference of my leg, it certainly surprised me that a small bite could get so bad so quick.

The idea with the yoghurt being as someone pointed out above the antibiotics are indiscriminate killers of bacteria and I'm still on a heavy dose so any helpful bacteria will help...