my girlfriend is going through a bad time with her diabetes

toywatch

hi i am looking for some help and advice about my girlfriends diabetes she has had diabetes since she was 2 and is now 25 but she is goin thru a bit of a rough patch with it just now she says she hates it, doesnt want to have it anymore, is finding injecting sore, and i dnt think that her bloods are as good as they should b and where, she has been to see the doc about it but i would like 2 know has any1 else been like this and how they got thru it and how i could help her thru it any help would b greatful thanks.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I should think it's a pretty common thing to happen. she's still very young Try contacting diabetes UK they have all sorts of support groups and services for young people. If injections hurt, they shouldn't. She needs to see her care team about it. If her BGs are off target, she needs to get back on track to prevent problems in the future.

sugar2

Yes, I have been there myself, so can empathise! I guess all you can do is encourage ger, without nagging her to do the tests, and to try and manage her condition as best she can. It is difficult though, you clearly mean well, and I am sure you will be understanding, but it does sometimes dound like nagging! Encourage her to join the forum?

What absolutely made my mind up to improve my diabetes care was the realisation that diabetes did not mean that I couldn't have children, but it did mean that I had to be really take care of myself. This may not be your plan at the moment, but I mention it as I had always assumed, that as a diabetic since early childhood, and with a not too good track record, I would not be able to have kids,,,discovering that I could, and it was something that WAS within my control gave me somethingto aim for. Diabetes, especially in children does lead youto fell that it "isn't fair, and why me?" and it seems beyond your control. IGettingthe condition is beyond her control, but how she lives with it something only she can lok after, If she makes that choice, she has everything to live for.
I now have 2 children, who spur me on to look after myself everyday. It is hard work, and you mustunderstand that, but so, so worth it.

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi im flojo1234 and i am 11 years old and i have been dianosed since october 2008. i have gone through stages like that but i try to get through it buy getting someone to pinch my leg or tummy for me and just doing it because if i think about it to long i get upset and find it harder to do it. she could try putting some frozen veg on the injection site before doing it to num it but i didnt find it helped but you could try. hope ths helped flojo1234. :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Flojo1234.

For an 11 year old you speak very wisely. You put some adults to shame with the way you treat your Diabetes and your positive outlook on life with Diabetes. Well done.

Ken. :wink:

Mark72

Remember to tell her to rotate where she injects, Use all the area recommended. The abdomen is probally the best area but try not to over use 1 area as thats when you can get soreness. Also make sure she has the corrct size needles, It could be she has slightly too thick and thats why she has some discomfort.
It must be very scary and worying as a young female, Just reassuring her and helping her in her diet and general living should be a great help to her.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi, was your girlfriend ever on animal insulin? If so, perhaps she should think about changing back-it's still available(thank god).
I'm a diabetic of 20 years and after 15 years on synthetic 'human' insulin and 4 1/2 years of hell on Lantus, I am qualified to say that the best control I've ever had is on animal insulin. I changed to it just over a year ago and take porcine Isophane (long-acting) and porcine neutral (short-acting). I, like many others, felt like death on Lantus. Not only did it not control my blood sugar-control was inconsistent and unpredictable-, but it made me feel like a zombie, exhausted, and suffering physical side-effects suchas muscle and joint pains.
I have many people contact me privately on this forum having probs, particularly on Lantus (Glargine). If you want any more info feel free to private message me or contact the IDDT (insulin dependent diabetes trust) for advice.
Best of luck
Jus

millymolly

I have been a diabetic for 38years and know where she comes from. Needles need to be sharp and changed every injection time, also vary sites from arms to abdomen to legs. I still hate diabetes and wish there was a cure but I dont think there will be one in our lifetime. Today I started on a pump which takes away the five injections a day and replaces it with a canula which only needs replacing every two to three days. You have a steady trickle of insulin all day and you top this up when you eat. It is hard work to start with cos you need to work out a basal rate (steady dose) so it means lots of blood testing. Eventually it will be a lot easier and the pump can even run via remote control. Speak to yor diabetic GP about this. Mandy

Kirsty-Marisa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there.
As well as the physical aspects of diabetes there can be so much emotion involved. I gave up on my diabetes last year and kept it to myself. After about 6 months I came clean to my boyfriend, and his reaction got me back on track.
Diabetes is a longterm thing, and while I was stuck in the sad, self-pitying present, upset at the momentary pain of injections and the lumps no one but us could see, his words really hit home.
He explained to me that all the injecting and rigorous checking/calculating is what will get us our happy ever after. I love him so much and know we will be together into old age, but what chance do I have of seeing that if I don't persevere?
He offers to do my injections when I just don't feel like it (even though I've never actually let him), helps me calculate my injections, and suggests positive little treats once I've injected; even if it's a hug it gets me jabbing.
The two seconds of pain and the comparative inconvenience diabetes poses pales in insignificance to the lifetime I can look forward to with my partner :)
Kirsty-Marisa

Hello,

I think your boyfriend must clearly love you if he has stuck by you and is trying to help you. That is definitely a good sign. I have met a few guys in my time who have not even been bothered about talking about it or have showed any signs of wanting to support me along the way.

Don't let it affect your life, I know it is hard but you would hate it if your partner/family would end up visiting you in hospital because you have not looked after yourself and it would be such a waste of your life. Try and stay positive and don't let diabetes beat you.

x