Carbs

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@nosher8355

Nosher, I was thinking more of really very low carbs/no carbs. I'm fairly sure that @modesty007 said she took supplements when she was on around 10g carbs a day, which is why I was asking. I've done 20g carbs a day with green veggies and salad, but don't think I could have gone much lower and still managed to eat my greens.

Robbity

The amazing thing about really low carb as you can't get away from small amounts is how well you feel when your body can't feed off the heavy load of carbs that it is used to.
I have listed a few times the differences in my health since starting to be in ketosis.
The best way to put it, is the only thing that is not as healthy as the rest of me, is I over produce insulin when eating carbs!
You won't know until you try, you are already low carbing, as with everything else, it's trial and error, and slowly does it!
The other thing, my life is so busy that I don't have time to count what I eat. Not the small amounts of carbs, protein, calories etc. I have to eat very small meals throughout the day and with working full time, it's not easy but doable, plan everything ahead when shopping, meat and veg will bring you better health than any carbs!
You don't need to be obsessive about counting stuff, what really matters is control of your blood glucose levels, which it looks as if you're doing great!
If you don't spike above the 2mmols after 2 hours, then your levels will respond and you feel better!
If you want to take supplements, that is entirely up to you.

I noticed in your info, sorry, nosey! That you have migraine attacks!
Have the attacks eased any doing low carb?
The reason I ask is I suffered migraines in my old job due to low level fluorescent lighting and bad diet.
Since low carbing, I haven't had one in over two years.
I retired eight years ago, and they lessened but got worse in my period before diagnosis!
Hope this helps.
Out to work now!

Reactions: 6 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The amazing thing about really low carb as you can't get away from small amounts is how well you feel when your body can't feed off the heavy load of carbs that it is used to.
I have listed a few times the differences in my health since starting to be in ketosis.
The best way to put it, is the only thing that is not as healthy as the rest of me, is I over produce insulin when eating carbs!
You won't know until you try, you are already low carbing, as with everything else, it's trial and error, and slowly does it!
The other thing, my life is so busy that I don't have time to count what I eat. Not the small amounts of carbs, protein, calories etc. I have to eat very small meals throughout the day and with working full time, it's not easy but doable, plan everything ahead when shopping, meat and veg will bring you better health than any carbs!
You don't need to be obsessive about counting stuff, what really matters is control of your blood glucose levels, which it looks as if you're doing great!
If you don't spike above the 2mmols after 2 hours, then your levels will respond and you feel better!

The reason I ask is I suffered migraines in my old job due to low level fluorescent lighting and bad diet.
I retired eight years ago, and they lessened but got worse in my period before diagnosis!
Hope this helps.
Out to work now!

@nosher8355
Would agree with a number of your points.
Counting, really don't have the time, portion control and avoiding certain food items covers it.
Headaches, around diagnosis I used to get some belters but nothing since on low carb.
Grazing, tend to just have three meals a day and not snack.... it's a habit I'm finding difficult to break.

Reactions: 4 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hope this helps.
Out to work now!
The point you mention about over producing insulin is something I am probably going through at the moment, tested it so I know it's happening but I thought I was weird to be honest, counting carbs you are right no time to think oh 1 carrot has 5g or whatever, I eat all veggies carrots included and I did nd to see if it really helps as before nd I used to spike post heavy carb meal and hence the need to make sure that even the carrot is half and not full. But now I do have everything all veggies and even started adding fruits but yes don't calculate each gram of carb I eat, I still think I don't go over 20 to 30g a day as I am on 16:8 IF that cuts one meal out which I love and helps maintain my post nd weight very well.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@nosher8355
Would agree with a number of your points.
Counting, really don't have the time, portion control and avoiding certain food items covers it.
Headaches, around diagnosis I used to get some belters but nothing since on low carb.
Grazing, tend to just have three meals a day and not snack.... it's a habit I'm finding difficult to break.
Wish I could just have three meals.
Unfortunately, I have to eat low carb every 2-3 hours even if it's only a bite or two.
But have got use to it...............almost!

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The point you mention about over producing insulin is something I am probably going through at the moment, tested it so I know it's happening but I thought I was weird to be honest, counting carbs you are right no time to think oh 1 carrot has 5g or whatever, I eat all veggies carrots included and I did nd to see if it really helps as before nd I used to spike post heavy carb meal and hence the need to make sure that even the carrot is half and not full. But now I do have everything all veggies and even started adding fruits but yes don't calculate each gram of carb I eat, I still think I don't go over 20 to 30g a day as I am on 16:8 IF that cuts one meal out which I love and helps maintain my post nd weight very well.
How do you know you are over producing insulin?

I'm weird and I would know one from your symptoms! :)

It is good to be in control, and I'm glad you seem to be getting used to testing and finding out which spikes you! I've never stopped testing and because my endocrinologist is using me as a guinea pig, I have to keep records.
If you do keep records you can always see what happened a while ago and compare.

Reactions: 3 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mostly beef (steaks) or occasionally other types of meat for lunch and dinner. Bacon and eggs for breakfast. Occasionally cheese for snacks. I drink a little coffee and red wine.

I do not recommend anyone try this without doing some online research first or discussing it with their doctor first. You can search using "zero carb diet" or "meat only diet". Of course, there are no recent clinical studies on this way of eating, but many Inuit communities survived for generations on meat only, eating only plant matter if they were starving and had no choice.

There's a facebook group for people on zero carb called Zeroing in on Health, if you are on Facebook.

Also, I wouldn't go straight from the NHS diet guidelines straight to zero carb. You should probably do low carb high fat for a while.

In my opinion it is a very healthy way of eating and I feel great. My blood glucose levels are basically flat, with a little rise in the morning after I get up and decline before noon. I exercise (run and lift weights) without a problem. I sleep great. My blood pressure is excellent.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
You eat meat as muscle, no offal and such? As I understood things the Inuit ate most of the animal.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You eat meat as muscle, no offal and such? As I understood things the Inuit ate most of the animal.

Mostly ribeye steaks. No organs or offal. I'm not trying to eat exactly like Inuit. Some Inuit communities would just eat boiled fish for months. No thanks. I've been on zero carb only for two weeks (before that a year on <40 g carbs a day), but so far I feel fine.

Reactions: 3 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you know you are over producing insulin?

I'm weird and I would know one from your symptoms! :)

It is good to be in control, and I'm glad you seem to be getting used to testing and finding out which spikes you! I've never stopped testing and because my endocrinologist is using me as a guinea pig, I have to keep records.
If you do keep records you can always see what happened a while ago and compare.
I would be interested to know what are the symptoms you know.
Only way I think I over produce or I could be wrong here is that after I eat high carb food I am at lower levels than what I started at after 1 hour. So if I was 5 before meal and I eat high carb meal I am sometimes 4.6 or 4.7 after 1 hour. And I stay there or around at 2 hours.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would be interested to know what are the symptoms you know.
Only way I think I over produce or I could be wrong here is that after I eat high carb food I am at lower levels than what I started at after 1 hour. So if I was 5 before meal and I eat high carb meal I am sometimes 4.6 or 4.7 after 1 hour. And I stay there or around at 2 hours.
There are many and vary from person to person.
But concerning blood glucose levels, going into hypo is the biggest indicator of insulin over production.
It seems to me that you metabolize your food very quickly and then you return to normal levels. (Between 3.5 and 6mmols).
Only tests can confirm this!

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't see 3's that much I go to 4 and then go up only seen 3 twice in 10 months of my diagnosis.
Thanks for the info @nosher8355 it's always good to know something new.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I don't see 3's that much I go to 4 and then go up only seen 3 twice in 10 months of my diagnosis.
Thanks for the info @nosher8355 it's always good to know something new.

No probs! Unless you've experienced continuous hypos, you have no idea how bad the symptoms are, you turn in to a different person!
Bit like Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde! ;)

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No probs! Unless you've experienced continuous hypos, you have no idea how bad the symptoms are, you turn in to a different person!
Bit like Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde! ;)
Oh no I have been lucky not to have them actually. I just go up from 4. I can imagine it's not a nice feeling at all no doubt about that.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
@nosher8355

Nosher, I was thinking more of really very low carbs/no carbs. I'm fairly sure that @modesty007 said she took supplements when she was on around 10g carbs a day, which is why I was asking. I've done 20g carbs a day with green veggies and salad, but don't think I could have gone much lower and still managed to eat my greens.

Robbity
Still doing less or around 10g crabs per day and yes I take a small dose of vitamin c every day, in addition some extra omega 3 since I'm not a big fish eater, magnesium because most of us have magnesium deficiency.