Exercise and rising blood sugar

PG1759

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help with this. I started playing football 7 months ago every Sunday. I always play first thing in the morning (9.30) and I never eat or inject Bolus before hand. My blood sugar risers during the game and I often go from being at 5 or 6 to 14 -15 every week without fail. I know why this happens but how can I stop it happening. The idea of injecting Bolus before a game doesn't sound safe but on the same note my body is clearly craving insulin.

Any ideas ?

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe you should have breakfast with some bolus and see how it works. Lets say 2 h before so insulin would reach its peak before you start game

sp41700

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi.
In my mind presuming there are no other indirect 'butterfly effects' on the bg, there are two possible reasons.

either your body is producing glucose because you are exercising hard or your are having a bg rebound due to an extreme low.

If you can rule out the indirect effects I would try eating something with a few carbs for breakfast as ewelina suggests with insulin with half insulin or even without and see what happens to the bg.

PG1759

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi thanks for the reply. It is defiantly the first - I have a libre so I know that. My body is dumping glucose out to support the exercise I am doing. I think the food and insulin combo might be an idea

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Given the amount you are producing in game, I'd tot rate the bolus, starting off with one u just before you go out and play, to see how it all gets affected. I wouldn't necessarily eat. I've seen similar with cycling and weights.

PG1759

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks - that's what I think I need to do. Essentially the body is craving insulin to release the glucose from your blood stream. A non diabetic would throw insulin out to deal with it so I theory I should inject. The thought of doing it however is a little more concerning ! ;)

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have to inject to play badminton, my DSN explained that my muscles are releasing glucose and if there's no insulin in my body then the glucose has no where to go but stay in my blood, she said this especially happens with exercise where you stop/start, or I suppose where you sometimes exert yourself more. So I usually inject a couple of units before I play, I do find though that I tend to go a bit low after afterwards so watch for that - i usually bolus less at the next meal.

PG1759

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi thanks for that , it's really useful. How long before do you inject ?

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
it's usually about 20 minutes before as this is when I leave, if my BGL is below 6 then I will have an apple or similar.

Reactions: 2 people