Eye screening: First signs of retinopathy

kaup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys,

Had Diabetes 1 for 18 years. Im 31 now. Had some swings in my blood sugar lately with high peaks. 2 weeks ago i suddenly got one gray spot in my left eyesight. Today i went to an eye doctor where they took all kinds of tests on retina.

They said that the light gray small spot in my left eye is a first sign of Diabetes retinopathy. And no treatment was neccesarely at this stage. But that i should get my blood sugar levels in control and get back to them in 1 month. Its basically a small abstract transparent fluffy spot in left eye.

Im scared as hell now about loosing my sights etc. As they say this cant be reveresed or disappear if you get blood sugar under control?

Please give me some encouring words and tips. Since i need some before i totally start going insane and paranoid about loosing sight etc.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
First up, don't panic. Second up, diabetic retinopathy can be reversed with good control and minimized highs. I have in the past done just this, and was given an all clear from Moorfields when they could no longer see signs of it.

Many diabetics remain in a state known as "Background retinopathy" after diagnosis and there is no guarantee at all that it will progress if your control and balance are both good. The key is keeping the swings under control and your Hba1C level relatively low (sub 7%).

Take a look at the following for more information: http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/

Reactions: 4 people

kaup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

good news. Went for a follow up eye examination. My retinopathy has reversed back and its barely visible now.

Just because i took the warning seriously, started adjusting my diet, excersice and normalised my blood sugar levels.

Reactions: 8 people

Andrew61827

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too currently have retinopathy causing me some worry.
I've been type since 2000 and I'm now 27 last year it was detected that i had some background retinopathy. Though as an earlier poster said with some investigation I was told nothing needed to be done at this time. Though in the last year owing to this and and my first child been born I'm going through my best spell manage the condition.

Though recently I went for my annual screening and again have been referred for further investigations. Even though I can't see day to day any effect on my vision and even though last year I was told no further treatment was needed this is still a worry and I just want to get this next appointment and outcome asap so I know what the situation is.

Though as others have said in the mean time all we can do is try to maintain our control as best we can along while trying to meet other daily responsibilities. Fun, fun and more fun eh!

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree wholeheartedly with Tim2000. There is much that can be done now. :)

The reason physicians say there's nothing that can be done for now is because they receive little to no training in diet, nutrition, and herbs.

They are trained to manage acute medical crisises and chronic and illnesses with medication, lasers, and surgery, not to stabilize or reverse same with diet and nutrition. It's not their fault. It's their training and the failing healthcare system they work within.

You can tightly control blood glucose levels by learning when and what to eat with frequent testing throughout the day using a glucose meter. Inexpensive test strips are available. By buying them and the meter that is used with them, I reduced my test strip cost from 88 cents to 18 cents a strip. It's a small out of pocket expense.

Had I not begun testing 4 to 7 or 9 times a day over the last five months, I couldn't have gotten my blood glucose levels under control without medication, and that's after having neglected my type 2 diabetes for 10 years. There's hope. Let us support you in learning how to make small changes to your lifestyle and diet that will greatly reduce your blood glucose levels, for life. Others here have done it, you can too! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people