What's the lowest you've gone without noticing?

xequtor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As others mentioned I can also be a lot higher, say 3.9 or even over 4 at times and feel horrendous.

the horrendous feeling at 4 mml comes from when the BG drops rapidly, then you brain trys to shutdown activity to protect it self.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
the horrendous feeling at 4 mml comes from when the BG drops rapidly, then you brain trys to shutdown activity to protect it self.
Yes that's what I've always put it down to.
It's just funny how the body works.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I also find that is the extent of the drop that is worse than the value itself. There are times I've felt perfectly normal at 2.5mmol if I was at 4mmol beforehand, whereas a drop from 8mmol to 4mmol in a short time really hits hard.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My lowest ever was 1.2. I'd been taking a nap all wrapped up in dressing gown AND duvet and unsurprisingly woke up feeling really hot and sweaty...so I tested to reveal my 1.2...couldn't believe my eyes...so tested again...still 1.2. I think at that level I didn't really expect that I could deal with it on my own and sat for a moment in stunned silence trying to figure out what to do...then shouted for my daughter...but no response...realising I was alone in the house, I just stood up and walked downstairs to the kitchen to find some glucose tabs...actually with virtually no trouble at all. Until reading some of the other responses on this thread I think I just always assumed I'd had some kind of superhero moment but having read that others can and have functioned at this level it would seem that I'm just human :(

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My lowest ever was 1.2. I'd been taking a nap all wrapped up in dressing gown AND duvet and unsurprisingly woke up feeling really hot and sweaty...so I tested to reveal my 1.2...couldn't believe my eyes...so tested again...still 1.2. I think at that level I didn't really expect that I could deal with it on my own and sat for a moment in stunned silence trying to figure out what to do...then shouted for my daughter...but no response...realising I was alone in the house, I just stood up and walked downstairs to the kitchen to find some glucose tabs...actually with virtually no trouble at all. Until reading some of the other responses on this thread I think I just always assumed I'd had some kind of superhero moment but having read that others can and have functioned at this level it would seem that I'm just human :(

Or that we're ALL superheroes! I like that interpretation better : D

Reactions: 4 people

Styles23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine is now, following a lot of exercise, a beer and my Libre falling off, then this shocker...

d4f2c45ccd07c693cfde2b34bd52d4cf.jpg

And I kind of realised that something wasn't quite right, but an hour ago my bg level was 8.2 and I took precious little insulin to handle it. Ah well where are the biscuits? I've already mainlined dextrosols.

I even feel abit low when it's 4.

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me it's like coming up
Hence the smile
But it is a rush an it is a great feeling when ur body is so tingly

GoRachel1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lizards (especially geckos...)
People who are nosy, pushy and don't respect personal boundaries.
Eggplant and liver...
Diabetes
Pitbull's lyrics...
2.2 was the lowest I've gone without noticing...

Lol @Auckland Canary... "Captain Hypo"...

jasekelly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not wanting to put a spanner in the works but, aren't these very low readings not signs of lacking "hypo awareness"? Sure you may FEEL fine at these levels but fine enough to drive, operate machinery, etc etc. I have also had lows in the past where I felt fine! But my wife knew my sugar was low, other people would also notice (who know you) that your low, even though you THINK your absolutely fine

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Not wanting to put a spanner in the works but, aren't these very low readings not signs of lacking "hypo awareness"? Sure you may FEEL fine at these levels but fine enough to drive, operate machinery, etc etc. I have also had lows in the past where I felt fine! But my wife knew my sugar was low, other people would also notice (who know you) that your low, even though you THINK your absolutely fine
That's the point - there are some circumstances where hypo awareness does disappear - I find that it occurs typically after heavy exercise, where I have been stressing myself so there has already been an adrenalin increase. The hypo signs become much weaker. Under normal circumstances, I pick them up at about 3.8 on the meter.