'Nodding off'

GerryOB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For the past few weeks, I find I keep nodding off. Only momentarily, and the moment my head flops, I startle awake again, but am still incredibly tired. I know I ought to check my blood sugar at these times, but when it happens, I'm not really 'with it' enough to remember, despite the test kit being 6" from my elbow.

If it had only started in the last few days, I'd feel that it was the heat, but it's been about a month now. I'm not sleeping well at night because my husbands snoring keeps me awake, so I don't know if that's why it's happening, or if it is something to do with my diabetes/blood sugar. Anyone got any ideas please?

Many thanks :)

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You really need to be testing when this happens, if you don't test then there is no way of saying its due to the diabetes or not, I find I may drift off if I have a carb heavy meal, as lots of carbs make me sleepy.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, you need to test your levels next time it happens. If it is your diabetes you need to know so you can do something about it.
Too many carbs will have this affect.

Astronomer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a similar problem, but this is caused by lack of sleep. I only get about 4-5 hours of sleep per night. I don't have blackout roller blinds yet so the light in the morning tends to wake me up around 5 or 6 am. Sometimes I fall asleep watching TV, I watch the first 15-20 minutes, then I open my eyes and the credits are rolling. luckily I have SKy and can rewind back to were I dropped off to sleep.

BG: 5.1
HbA1c: 6.2%
Testing done in morning before breakfast. I don't test at other times as my doctor only allows one test per day. I have a Bayer Contour USB meter, with a prescription of a tub of 50 test strips. This is been done ever since I was first diagnosed back in 2006.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a similar problem, but this is caused by lack of sleep. I only get about 4-5 hours of sleep per night. I don't have blackout roller blinds yet so the light in the morning tends to wake me up around 5 or 6 am. Sometimes I fall asleep watching TV, I watch the first 15-20 minutes, then I open my eyes and the credits are rolling. luckily I have SKy and can rewind back to were I dropped off to sleep.

Testing done in morning before breakfast. I don't test at other times as my doctor only allows one test per day. I have a Bayer Contour USB meter, with a prescription of a tub of 50 test strips. This is been done ever since I was first diagnosed back in 2006.

I should get yourself a meter you can use as much as you like.
The evening sleepiness could be a combo of sleep deprivation and high bg after dinner.
the 5am wakeup could be a hypo and/or the start of dawn phenomenon.

I don't believe 1 test a day is anywhere near enough for a type 2 to manage their condition. It just encourages us to accept an inevitable decline in our health and a slow escalation of meds.

My SD Codefree meter is costing me about £6 for 50 strips. thats actually less than I would pay for a prescription charge (I am diet and exercise, so I don't get an exemption certificate)

Reactions: 4 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds like sleep deprivation but you definately do need to test to rule out high BS.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Have you ever thought about buying your own strips? Or at least test after your evening meal. High levels make you sleepy.

EDIT. Posts crossed, but at least we all agree!

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I don't know just how much sleep is "normal" for you but 4 to 5 sounds way insufficient. Given you're retired, have you considered a daytime nap so your body gets the rest it needs?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would but the high cost of test strips puts me off buying extra strips.

Then I would forego the morning fasting tests for the time being (they tell you very little anyway) and do some post meal tests instead.

C

chris lowe

For the past few weeks, I find I keep nodding off. Only momentarily, and the moment my head flops, I startle awake again, but am still incredibly tired. I know I ought to check my blood sugar at these times, but when it happens, I'm not really 'with it' enough to remember, despite the test kit being 6" from my elbow.

If it had only started in the last few days, I'd feel that it was the heat, but it's been about a month now. I'm not sleeping well at night because my husbands snoring keeps me awake, so I don't know if that's why it's happening, or if it is something to do with my diabetes/blood sugar. Anyone got any ideas please?

Many thanks :)
You could try some earplugs for the snoring! Have you had your blood tested to see if you are anaemic? Might be worth checking with the doc. :)

C

chris lowe

4 - 5 hours isn't really enough sleep to function on. If you can't get blackout blinds you could try getting an eye mask. Boots do a decent towelling one. I pop min on when the daylight wakes me about 5am and find I can drop off again.

NatalieJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi this happens to me but when iv had something naughty to eat I end up in and out of sleep which is not good.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One of the main signs I have that my blood sugar has gone too high is that I start to go really tired, can't think straight and start to nod off. While I have always had a problem of falling asleep in cars (I don't drive so don't worry) it has improved immensely since I started watching what I eat, even if I don't actually test when I'm out I know enough of what I can manage. It has almost become a joke if I have more than I know I should for a treat that I'll be asleep before we are half way home.

Try and test when you do feel like this, or at least try and test after eating so you have some idea of how high certain foods send you. Keep a diary of what you eat for a meal including the quantity of anything carb high, potatoes, pasta, bread etc., writing it up before you start to become tired, then noting that it made you sleepy afterwards. You might start to see the connection that way.

NatalieJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds Like Me. I really need to in set more time in this and make sure I get it right. Some others ha en suggested having a low carb diet so definitely willing to give that a go. Just so glad I have joined this site x

TrinMonroe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with everyone else...you need to test your bloods all through out the day for a week to get readings where you can see if your sugar levels spike.
I test my bloods before a meal and 1-2 hours after a meal.

Also u may lack iron and other vitamins...i have to have a b12 jab every 5 weeks...i know when i need it too as i drop off to sleep all the time, i feel sluggish, lethargic and as soon as i have it i feel like my batteries have been recharged.

Speak to your diabetic team and ask for a blood monitor and a blood test to check for iron deficiency.

Good luck :)

NatalieJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks again everyone I deeply appreciate all the advice and iv started putting it all in place as of today. Iv gone back to the gym too which felt great. I will be starting a low carb diet today :) x

Reactions: 2 people

TrinMonroe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah thats the best way to go...i have been on very low carb diet for 3 weeks now and my sugar levels have dropped loads :)

NatalieJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's fab :) today has been my beat day by far. Low carb is definitely the way forward for me. Hopefully can shed some pounds to x

deafjohn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i keep keep nodding off everyday for no reason as dont feel tired ? sleep at night then woke up itself then back to sleep and up early in the morning as cant get back sleep in morning most 6am
worry if DWP force me back to work as would be tired and nodding off too ? What can I do ??