LADA diagnosis 3yrs ago, no insulin

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@worrywart - sorry you had a tough time over the weekend. I find that emotional stress is the worst for causing elevated BG. If I've been crying at all, my BG goes into orbit. I have to raise both my basal dose and my bolus ratio. Could it be that you had a little hiccup in BG and then made it worse with all the upset?

Glad to see it's settling down now.

Smidge

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
UPDATE

Im open to the possibility i might have/had a virus but i think more than likely my pancreas was struggling and possibly on its last breath.

My BG levels rose significantly 6 months ago. I flew to Australia, to visit my parents, caught a cold on the way out. My wife's health was struggling so came back early and caught another cold (or the same one returned or it was flu - Dr gave me an antibiotic). But my BG levels quickly returned to my normal levels once it Started to clear up..... A combination of virus and stress maybe, on an already weak pancreas.

Hopefully you can get back to normal very soon.

worrywart

Smidge, IanDP thank you for your comments they made me feel much better :)

I guess my thread slightly changed context from preventing LADA to potentially getting LADA but i am being open and honest with the good times and the bad so people can see I'm not advertising some miracle cure

Anyway my BS numbers have maintained at a good level since going on my week of green smoothies. It's positive for me since four days ago I had 1 litre of this stuff and went up to 9mmol. Now I'm having 2 litres a sitting and getting anywhere between 4.4 and 5.7. Also my fasting is really good, consistently 3.9mmol. Saturday il start on solids again and I'll see what happens. So far so good anyway.

The only negatives I can say are
1) my BS numbers although good are still higher than they were before on more fruity phases of this diet. I am not exercising like I was before mind, no running 3 miles a day but I have been walking a fair bit
2) Ketones are high, I have this terrible taste in my mouth and the levels are staying up or fluctuating little. In the first few days of eating like this I noticeda drop in ketones every time I ate, now it's not so much. It could be the compounding low carb diet I'm doing though and I hope they go when I start solids

Keep you posted

Reactions: 2 people

worrywart

UPDATE

Ok so i think i have returned to normal now (touching every bit of wood around me). My GP seemed to think it was a virus but im only 50% convinved by that. Personally i think as a result of my actions - drinking only low carb green smoothies for 1 week, including some new supplements in my diet and then staying on phase 1 of the rainbow green i may have reset the system. Fasting over the last couple of weeks has been consistently in the 3's with the highest 4.2. After meal between 4.6 and 5.8. Ketones dropped after the smoothie week from 8mg/dl to lower values, when i eat they go down and when i dont they go up slightly which signifys regular ketosis. Ketones yestyerday were trace/negative.

Im still a bag of nerves after everything this little upset and have been written off work by my doctor. Ive decided to check blood only once a week for a few weeks and then go back to just hba1c. Im too scared to test anyway!!!

Thanks for the support from everyone

@Ian DP i might PM you if thats ok, im interested in what you are doing and what your long term plan is

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Good to hear things have returned to normal. Of course you can pm me. My long term plan is simply to continue as I am and prepare myself for insulin when I need it.

I had an interesting half hour appointment with my diabetic consultant last Friday. My first half hour session since T1 (LADA) diagnosis 18 months ago, when he said I would be on insulin within weeks. I reminded him of this, and he said he was very pleased to be proved wrong, and that it was all down to my diet, which was the diet prescribed before insulin was available (some 100 years ago). He made a point of telling me (at least 3 times) that I was a T1. He never mentioned LADA or T1.5. He stressed how important it was that I had insulin ready (I have some in the fridge) and stressed how important it is that I use it when my bg levels rise when ill. Interestingly he said that if I use the insulin quick enough to control my bg levels I would have a good chance of coming off it again when my bg levels dropped after the illness. I requested a half unit pen (6 months ago) and he said that was excellent as it meant I could start at a much lower bg level than otherwise.

I said I felt it was a shame that I didn't have a c-peptide test test done a year ago (he would not do one) as it would be interesting to do a comparison now. He said (again) there was no point at all doing the test, the test measures insulin production at a given point in time, and this varies depending on when last eaten / your bodies insulin needs, thus a test at 9am would be differ to a test at 11am on the same day. He said I obviously am without any doubt able to produce some insulin, but likely 90% of my beta cells have died, and my last few are hanging on in there thanks to me keeping my bg levels in the normal range. My hba1c was 5.1%. A little disappointed as I had thought (with my bg testing) that i might have made it into to 4s.

worrywart

Hello all,

This will be my last update for a while, hopefully my next post will be 4 years no insulin..... then 5 years no insulin..... but we'll see. I find the more I read about the "D word" the more I get anxious, including reading this forum

Anyhow since my "blip" a month ago I've been on the lowest phase of the Gabrial Cousins' (I know its spelt wrong) rain bow green raw vegan diet. My BG returned to normal within 3 days of the upset and im consistently around 3.8 fasting, 5.X after a meal. I reduced my exercise regime considerably at first since I wasn't putting the calories in to support my usual 3 mile run/day (ketones were telling me I was starving) and I am now running every other day with a 15-30min walk after virtually every meal (it clears my head and helps with my anxiety). My sleep has not been so good recently but I've figured out its because my BG is too low and my body keeps waking me up panicking to release cortisol and normalize my BG. Im going to start eating a handful of nuts before bed to see if that helps.

My plan is to regain confidence and start adding fruit back into my diet, I think this will take another month or two to convince myself im fine. My BG would probably be ok now but its a confidence thing. By the way I've stopped checking my BG on my home meter and will hopefully just be using hba1c tests going forward like before. Im sure i'll have some periods when I feel "funky" and need to test at home but generally I panic when testing my blood sugar so will try not to.

Over the last few weeks I've researched the "core" supplements I want to take and have bought some additional products. Most of the supplements I take now have been thought to repair the pancreas or else treat common deficiencies. I will be taking all my other supplements until they run out but these are my core supplements going forward:

Pterocarpus marsupium
Proteolytic enzymes
Probiotic (see this video, its incredible!
)
Gymnema Sylvestre
Niacinamide
Complex B
Vitamin D
Multivitamin
B12

If anyone wants to get in touch with me please PM me as that will send me an email and i'll know to respond.

Hopefully I'll still be going strong without insulin one year from now, in which case i'll post an update. If something happens before then well I guess i'll post sooner........

Good luck all and thanks for the support

Reactions: 2 people

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,

This will be my last update for a while, hopefully my next post will be 4 years no insulin..... then 5 years no insulin..... but we'll see. I find the more I read about the "D word" the more I get anxious, including reading this forum

Anyhow since my "blip" a month ago I've been on the lowest phase of the Gabrial Cousins' (I know its spelt wrong) rain bow green raw vegan diet. My BG returned to normal within 3 days of the upset and im consistently around 3.8 fasting, 5.X after a meal. I reduced my exercise regime considerably at first since I wasn't putting the calories in to support my usual 3 mile run/day (ketones were telling me I was starving) and I am now running every other day with a 15-30min walk after virtually every meal (it clears my head and helps with my anxiety). My sleep has not been so good recently but I've figured out its because my BG is too low and my body keeps waking me up panicking to release cortisol and normalize my BG. Im going to start eating a handful of nuts before bed to see if that helps.

My plan is to regain confidence and start adding fruit back into my diet, I think this will take another month or two to convince myself im fine. My BG would probably be ok now but its a confidence thing. By the way I've stopped checking my BG on my home meter and will hopefully just be using hba1c tests going forward like before. Im sure i'll have some periods when I feel "funky" and need to test at home but generally I panic when testing my blood sugar so will try not to.

Over the last few weeks I've researched the "core" supplements I want to take and have bought some additional products. Most of the supplements I take now have been thought to repair the pancreas or else treat common deficiencies. I will be taking all my other supplements until they run out but these are my core supplements going forward:

Pterocarpus marsupium
Proteolytic enzymes
Probiotic (see this video, its incredible!
)
Gymnema Sylvestre
Niacinamide
Complex B
Vitamin D
Multivitamin
B12

If anyone wants to get in touch with me please PM me as that will send me an email and i'll know to respond.

Hopefully I'll still be going strong without insulin one year from now, in which case i'll post an update. If something happens before then well I guess i'll post sooner........

Good luck all and thanks for the support

How are you now getting on?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My first half hour session since T1 (LADA) diagnosis 18 months ago
Hello Ian, I suspect I am LADA as I am extremely thin, and produced an A1c of 41 last summer, up from 40 in 2016 and 37 in 2014 and 2015. This was only revealed to me in August 2017, since when I have been gradually lowering my carb intake but with nothing like your success. I too am trying to follow Dr B, but although I am probably consuming abut 20g carbs daily my home test results seem to be getting worse, with far too many 6s instead of 4s and 5s. How did you convince your doctor to do a GAD test? Mine thinks I am worried well.

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
I actually had no idea what was happening before i was diagnosed local doc was on holidays... traveled an hour looking for a dr i hadnt seen for 30 years..... was admitted fairly quick 8 hrs in the icu full on DKA when your normally 70 kg and get to below 60 ther is a problem..... It took 6 months to get the antibody test positive for GAD and 1a2 antibodys no others were tested...admittence figures was fasting glucose 17 Keytones of 7.
Even tho the hossi called me type 1 my DE same type 1 my doc had me penciled in as type 2... nuts hu.

Since the best hba1c has been 6.1 % with insulin..

Point is when your past a certain age some docs maynot accept there maybe a antibody cause... if you can get a GP to do the test its better earlier you may or may not like the result.

Found out later my local doc was monitoring the hba1c there was no indication of diabetes 2 years earlier...

As for the OP.... if you can stay insulin free go for it as long as you can.

I was an idiot waiting as long as i did.......