Is going over 9 after eating potatoes OK?

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just taught 4 to 7 before meal 7 to 10 after meals was fine. This was all in the the last 3 months?
Yes, it's a shame that what we're told isn't always what's best for us but is based on trying to instil realistic aims. There's no doubt that maintaining non-diabetic post-prandial levels is challenging and that can be very overwhelming for some, so I think many consultants and DSNs underplay the importance of checking your blood sugar after food. In fact, I was told in no uncertain terms that it is "unnecessary" to test after meals and I should only be checking on waking, before eating and before sleeping! If I did that I would never have discovered how I react to certain foods and some of the scarily high peaks that can occur if bolus isn't timed appropriately.

Reactions: 2 people

leedoak

Yes, it's a shame that what we're told isn't always what's best for us but is based on trying to instil realistic aims. There's no doubt that maintaining non-diabetic post-prandial levels is challenging and that can be very overwhelming for some, so I think many consultants and DSNs underplay the importance of checking your blood sugar after food. In fact, I was told in no uncertain terms that it is "unnecessary" to test after meals and I should only be checking on waking, before eating and before sleeping! If I did that I would never have discovered how I react to certain foods and some of the scarily high peaks that can occur if bolus isn't timed appropriately.
I've never been told that, I've been told to test as much as I see fit. Before and after meals and before and after bed.I test aleast 7 times a day minimum. All my appointments have been in the diabetic unit in Portsmouth and the nurses gave me there phone number to call when I needed anytime. It's a mine field of information right and wrong.

sp41700

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the FreeStyle Libre. I eat the same diet as before diagnosis and this includes, on occasion, high carb meals. I currently manage to (generally) restrict my peaks when eating medium to high carb meals to 8 mmol and I am comfortable at that level given that (a) it quickly comes back down; and (b) it doesn't happen all the time and is only on occasion. Usually I have porridge for breakfast and peak at 6mmol, a low carb lunch (e.g. salad) and don't have any peak at all and then an evening meal that can range from anything from 20g to 100g+ of carbs depending on my mood. My last HbA1C was 5.7% but I think it's come down a little since then. I have found that advance injecting of bolus and regular exercise are two tools that have been invaluable in helping maintain good control.

Ever since I received my new pump three weeks ago I have reduced my carb intake to try and make the insuin cartridges last longer. As part of that reduction I removed bread, most potatoes, I just had rosti for dinner tonight, and pasta from my diet. My carb total is about 120 a day. I have also increased my exercise. According to my libre I haven't peaked above 8.5 which is absolutely unheard of for me. Its the most stable I have ever been since my honeymoon phase!

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your levels seemed ok, of course carbs will cause an increase but overall for someone new to diabetes your levels seemed fine overall. It takes time to learn, I think some comments are harsh for you. Seems like you are trying really hard, good luck. Your hba1 c will show your overall average.

Reactions: 2 people

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to everyone's comments, I was able to make a few changes to my diet and cut down on those spikes over 9. I now eat like this:
- Very low-carb breakfast (typically a home-baked almond cake) with a little bit of fruit or cream, approx. 20g of carbs;
- Slow-carb lunch based on 150g of legumes (lentils, beans, etc.), meat or cheese, and vegetables, approx 40g of carbs;
- Fast-carb (the nasty ones that cause spikes) dinner consisting of e.g. baked potatoes or some grain, such as bulgur or bread along with veggies, fish/meat, etc.

What really helped was moving the nasty high GI carbs to dinner (thanks @pinewood), cutting a bit on the volume, as well as injecting 30 mins ahead of the dinner meal. Depleting the body of carbs and/or stimulating the remaining insulin-producing function of pancreas by exercise before dinner certainly helped too.

Following this pattern has helped me keep my BS below 6.2 after breakfast, below 6.5 after lunch and below 7.2 after dinner in the past 2 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people