HbA1c Update

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

Not on the forum as much as I was to begin with due to work etc but just wanted to update to say I just had my HbA1c checked which represents the 6 month mark since my low carbing and running regime started on Dec 19th 2014.

HbA1c on 25/6 was down to 36 mmol/mol from 39 in March.

Cholesterol is 3.5 mmol/L which is up from the 3.1 so I am assuming that's the additional protein having an impact.

Triglycerides was 0.70 mmol/L

I have stepped up the running to 25-30 miles a week and joined a running club. Managed to get my 10K time down to 52 mins and my 5K down to 25 min so pleased with how that is progressing. I have the Birmingham half marathon as a goal in Oct.

Diet wise I am still low carbing and keeping to the routine that has worked for me in the past 6 months.

Weight wise I have been stuck at 61kg for over 8 weeks now but on the positive side I am not gaining. I can only assume that the muscle gain and toning from the running is balancing out what I losing in fat.

Overall pleased with the results but no point in resting on the laurels and falling off the wagon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Well done @s_k_s . We've missed you in the fasting BG thread since you stopped posting but I'm really pleased for you - those are great results. Good luck with the Birmingham half-marathon in October. Let us know how things are going in due course.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi All,

Not on the forum as much as I was to begin with due to work etc but just wanted to update to say I just had my HbA1c checked which represents the 6 month mark since my low carbing and running regime started on Dec 19th 2014.

HbA1c on 25/6 was down to 36 mmol/mol from 39 in March.

Cholesterol is 3.5 mmol/L which is up from the 3.1 so I am assuming that's the additional protein having an impact.

Triglycerides was 0.70 mmol/L

I have stepped up the running to 25-30 miles a week and joined a running club. Managed to get my 10K time down to 52 mins and my 5K down to 25 min so pleased with how that is progressing. I have the Birmingham half marathon as a goal in Oct.

Diet wise I am still low carbing and keeping to the routine that has worked for me in the past 6 months.

Weight wise I have been stuck at 61kg for over 8 weeks now but on the positive side I am not gaining. I can only assume that the muscle gain and toning from the running is balancing out what I losing in fat.

Overall pleased with the results but no point in resting on the laurels and falling off the wagon.
Hey s_k_s,,glad to see you, the cholesterol levels do appear to rise ....but in fact it's the molecules getting larger,which is a good thing,its the fine cholesterol particles that get in deeper and do the damage

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Congratulations @s_k_s well done :)

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never knew there was a "Success story and Testimonial thread". Must be a newish thing. Wouldn't say there is anything called "success" with diabetes as it's always work in progress. Feeling that you have succeeded brings with it the danger of bringing back the bad habits.

Anyway, rant over. Thanks @WeeFergus I hope to be back on the forum regularly soon.

Thanks @Clivethedrive. Hope the driving is going okay and you are keeping the fasting levels in the 4's.

Thanks @sanguine and @4ratbags

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are right that you get a bit complacent and the bad habits can start to creep back in. Its a journey for life thats for sure

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
After feeling somewhat disappointed with my first three-month HbA1c result, I was delighted to find out yesterday that my latest reading is 38 mmol.

So wonderful to see 'normal' on the print-out! No slacking with LCHF though.

And a huge 'thank you' to all those who have given such excellent advice.