How much alcohol does everyone drink?

kentishman

When I was diagnosed with type2 the dietician said I could drink whisky so I do, and wine.
Hell, as my friendly GP said 'you've got to die of soemthing.'

kentishman

When I was diagnosed with Type 2 the dietician told me I could drink whisky so I do -and wine.
As my friendly GP said, you've got to die of something

bendigo

When I was a young man I drank Guinness - aboout 4 pints on Sunday nights with my cronies. Now, many, many years later I have the odd glas of Claret with my evening meal and occasionally, I have a bottle of London Pride once a month or less.

Dalekkiller

Dislikes
Slow drivers, blood tests, having to go to hospital
I used to drink like a fish until I realised I had a problem with it! At the moment I'm dry (since New Year) although I did joke to a friend that maybe I needed a glass of red wine each day to help my blood pressure :lol:

alf15

I drink alot of beer at the weekend, about 10 bottles of bud or bud light and maybe a few vodka's. i can handle my drink pretty good, wouldnt even be drunk after that. But I am always careful though, eating to keep my bs up and eat before I go to sleep. I find my BS is always brilliant the next day, as the alcohol is coming out of me!

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
What a fascinating thread! I have always been a bit of a binge drinker - a bottle of wine a night at weekends, but nothing during the week, as I have to get up early. Now I find that it keeps me awake nights, so I cut right down over the last year. I did wonder if it had contributed to Diabetes (T2) but it seemed really unfair that I was diagnosed after I had cut down.....
I don't think I could give up completely - you need something to look forward to!

james2cowie

When I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a few weeks ago (about 7 or 8 weeks ago) the nurse at my surgery advised 3 units a day (1 unit= 1/2 a pint of beer, a single measure of spirit, 1 small glass of wine, etc etc etc!) up to a maximum of 21 units a week. It's a little less for ladies. I used to drink a bottle of wine most days plus a couple of cans. I heard a story of an old man being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and didn't take any notice of the doctor's advice and is now nearly blind and can barely walk. That brought me to my senses and am now trying to stop drinking and taking more care what I eat!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I drink almost nothing alcoholic, simply becauese I don't like the stuff. As a Czech born, I heartily disapprove of Bud. those Americans try to grab everything. The original Budweiser, comes ,not unnaturally, from Budweis, or in its true Czech name Ceske Budjevice. NOT from a fizzy pop factory inthe USA.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
micky.p said:
I read whiskey helps keep your blood sugar reading down, I tried it with cider i can assure you it don't work. :cry:

Hi micky.p

If you had left out the Cider you would have had a different result.

Apart from being criminal mixing good Whisky and Cider :shock: , Cider is full of sugar. Not a wise move for a Diabetic.

Ken.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Folks,

there is plenty of comment and even research about which tends to show that 3 units of red wine per day reduces the risk of heart attack and strokes and also reduces the risk or severity of diabetic complications.
So who am I to argue.

I used the formula UNITS x 1000 / % alcohol = mm of drink (Can use this for any drink)

Just happens that 3 x 1000 / 12 (% red wine) = 250mm = one large glass.

I have one 250mm glass of dry red wine each night and as I sleep with a CPAP machine due to sleep apnoea, it helps me to drop off!.

Steve

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
Probably far too much for my own good. Last night was two bottles of wine... although it was a party but I passed out drunk on the couch!

Kansenji

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being obese.
I will be 58 years old in January & that will be 58 years of never drinking alcohol. I don't see the point; I'm quite happy with Bristol Water Company's tap water, tea, coffee, blackcurrant squash, Coca-Cola & Pepsi-Cola. Tap water makes up about 98% of what I drink, in one form or another. 8) :) :lol:

sunnyh

Dislikes
feeling like I am not in control...that is my main pet peeve!!
I find I really only drink about twice a year, on my wedding anniversary, and a glass of bubbly on New Year's Eve. I know that probably sounds boring, but I was a professional musician for most of my life, and had the experience of watching people drink heavily every night of the week. I saw the consequences of all that, and found that I was happier without it. I know a lot of diabetics are able to drink and still keep everything under control. Since being diagnosed with T2 db in 2000, it's been a roller coaster sort of ride trying to keep everything running smoothly. So for me, the choice is 'not to drink'...

SunnyH

Dippy3103

This thread really made me smile.... I love a glass (or two...or three) of wine. I'm fickle - red in winter, white in summer. I'm trying to shift a few pounds at the mo, so have cut right down. But on the basis that moderate drinking is good for you i see no reason to give it up completely!

TheWeasel

Dislikes
People who drive whilst using a mobile phone, as one of em killed my best mate!
Nil.

When I was first diagnosed age 19, drinking was the thing to do at that age. I tried twice after being put on insulin, and both times ended up in an ambulance. Both occasions involved just a couple of bottles of Pils ( because of it's low sugar content) and a vodka and diabetic lime juice, again because I was told there's no sugar in spirits.

Both times I was sick and passed out, and had my stomach pumped out in hospital. I was advised that alcohol and sugar are two of the worse things for a body to deal with, and whilst one OR the other is tolerable, both can be just too much for some people. Based on my experiences, the medical advice was don't try and drink alcohol.

31 years later, I don't even remember what I'm missing, and my wife doesn't drink either so it's no problem for me.

The Governor

Haven't posted ina little while as I'd hit my control-groove 8)

However, Christmas coming up and I wanted to pop my head in asee how everyone's getting on, this thread caught my eye :twisted:

I don't drink ordinarily, but every month or so my little brother comes over and we get BATTERED :D

I drink Rose these days as I never really got a taste for "proper" wine - it doesn't have any upward effect on my BS, what I tend to do is eat semi-normally (for a non-diabetic) when I drink to make sure my BS doesn't drop right down.

The way I figure it, getting absolutely TROUSERED once every now and again can't do harm.

I am getting a bit bored of Rose though and am thinking what I can do with spirits, not a whisky man myself, but want something different than Vodka and Diet coke...

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
I love red wine. Vats of it.
Dont like my wine to mature. Bottle has to be emptied within 2-3 hours.