Weight loss with PCOS and Insulin

TrinMonroe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have PCOS and im Type 2 diabetic and i take insulin twice a day.
I take 70 units of insulin before breakfast....70 units before my evening meal.
I also take a 500mg Metformin, slow release as i can not tolerate tablets as they cause bad stomach upsets.

I have been on a healthy living plan (nice way of saying diet lol) for a while and this week i have been on a no carb, wheat, gluten, sugar, fat, processed foods etc detox....exercising every day. (The Body Rescue Plan)
They advise to weigh after 4 weeks but i couldnt resist the temptation of seeing if i had lost any weight in this first week for a little encouragement, only to find i have not lost a single pound.
My partner is also on the same detox and he has lost about 10 pounds.

I know my pcos plays havoc with my hormones and effects my insulin levels and i am going to see my doctor and diabetic nurse on Monday to discuss coming off insulin or at least lowering it or trying new meds but i was wondering if anyone has any advice they can offer me regarding losing weight or trying a new medication as right now i feel very despondent.

I will persevere with this detox as the no carbs have bought my sugar levels right down and i do feel better in myself but its just so discouraging not to lose any weight at all. :(

bexter75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Television
Hi, I haven't got any advice for you, but I feel your pain. I too have PCOS and am type 2. Losing weight is **** near impossible. The only way I ever lose weight is exercising at least 4 times a week. But keeping that up is impossible when you work & have a family. Good luck and let us know how you get on

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have PCOS and im Type 2 diabetic and i take insulin twice a day.
I take 70 units of insulin before breakfast....70 units before my evening meal.
I also take a 500mg Metformin, slow release as i can not tolerate tablets as they cause bad stomach upsets.

I have been on a healthy living plan (nice way of saying diet lol) for a while and this week i have been on a no carb, wheat, gluten, sugar, fat, processed foods etc detox....exercising every day. (The Body Rescue Plan)
They advise to weigh after 4 weeks but i couldnt resist the temptation of seeing if i had lost any weight in this first week for a little encouragement, only to find i have not lost a single pound.
My partner is also on the same detox and he has lost about 10 pounds.

I know my pcos plays havoc with my hormones and effects my insulin levels and i am going to see my doctor and diabetic nurse on Monday to discuss coming off insulin or at least lowering it or trying new meds but i was wondering if anyone has any advice they can offer me regarding losing weight or trying a new medication as right now i feel very despondent.

I will persevere with this detox as the no carbs have bought my sugar levels right down and i do feel better in myself but its just so discouraging not to lose any weight at all. :(
I've always had issues losing weight but since taking medication for under active thyroid and eating low carb full fat I've managed to lose at least 2.5 stone since last August. I know that @Brunneria has PCOS so may be able to advise.

Reactions: 2 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had PCOS for quite a long time, and I've been on a rollercoaster of weight loss and gain depending on whether I was keeping to a low carb diet or going mad with high carbs and high fat (the worst combination). I've never been on insulin, though, and I'm aware that amongst other things, it is a weight-gain hormone (but that includes muscle as well as fat gain) - so it is even harder.

My advice is to persevere and keep to your programme for the prescribed 4 weeks, as long as your BG is fine, and then not just weigh yourself but also check your waist measurement and clothes size. After all, with healthy nutrition you could be putting on more muscle but shedding fat, which is the best possible thing. How much do you want to lose? If it's not a lot, it will come off slowly, anyway.

Regarding your partner, it's unfortunate for us women that men have a much easier time when it comes to losing fat. The reason is their larger muscles, which keep their metabolisms high enough to burn fat fast, as soon as they start eating more cleanly. The answer, of course, is for us to strengthen our muscles too, and fire up our metabolism! (This is more for me than you, LOL)
Good luck!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, and thanks for the tag @Daphne917

Yes, I have PCOS and other hormone nonsense going on.

Like most of us with PCOS I've been battling weight (yoyo and diff diets) most of my adult life.

Unlike most people who go low carb, I don't get instant, significant weight loss.
What I do get is relief from reactive hypoglycaemia, high blood glucose, better sleep, sharper brain and memory, and after a week or so, relief from joint inflammation. Weight loss is sporadic and very slow. I lost 19 lbs in 8 months, but have plateaued for the last 8 months.

My advice is carry on with your detox, see how it goes, and expect a fraction of the weight loss your partner gets. - but keep an eye out for other stuff - better energy levels, better sleep, more comfortable muscles, brighter eyes, better concentration... The benefits can be delightful.

After all this time I am accepting of staying fat forever. Happy about it? No. But definitely accepting. And I would MUCH rather stay this size than live the shrink-expand-diet-binge lifestyle so many of us endure. If weight loss happens, I appreciate it, but I don't try for it any more. Too many previous disappointments.

Also, I will never again accept the awful tiredness, lethargy, fatigue, achey, never feeling refreshed ness that comes from my eating carbs. But I don't know if that comes from the PCOS, the insulin resistance, the T2, or my other hormone stuff. I just know that a ketogenic diet (less than 50g carbs a day) makes me feel so well that I consider it a lifestyle, not a diet.

May I suggest you have a look at Diane Cress' Diabetes Miracle book? She outlines an excellent low carb intro program, lasting 8 weeks. Very sustainable, comparatively easy, and you may find transitioning onto it is helpful after your detox. Although when I tried it, I lost no weight at all, it was marvellous for stabilising blood glucose. I didn't have a single BG reading above 7mmol/l for the entire 8 weeks. Did me a power of good. :)

TrinMonroe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much for the replies and advice.
I have now being doing this healthy living plan for two weeks and my partner has now lost a stone and i have lost two pounds!!!! So unfair.
Yes Larrisima men and losing weight...blahhhh lol.

I am going to see my diabetic nurse this week as wasnt able to last week to discuss lowering my insulin and/or trying a diff course of medication...i will keep u all posted.

The low carb diet is the best thing i have ever done...i totally agree with you Brunneria. I dont feel tired and sluggish anymore and feel like i have alot more energy.

I also suffer very bad IBS (suffered everyday with bad diarrhoea) and when i started on this plan with all the fruit and veg it did make me o_O as i thought i would forever have an upset stomach but i can happily say since cutting out wheat and gluten i havent had one IBS attack so that in its self has made me feel so much better.

I just want to lose the 4 stone i have gained since being on insulin and get back to being the confident me again..i will keep u all posted on my progress and thanks again for the replies...its actually great to know i am not the only person out there with this going on.

Thank you ladies :)

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish I could 'like' your post multiple times.

:D

TrinMonroe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just an update: I have been weighed today and i have at last lost half a stone (7lbs) in just over 3 weeks. I am also being referred to try a new drug that helps with weight loss with insulin. So watch this space...but 7lbs...yayyyyy...at last a light at the end of the tunnel :)

Reactions: 9 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dare i ask how much Mr Monroe has lost in the same time?

I ask because sometimes i need a wee reminder of how unfair life can be. Sorry.

TrinMonroe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Polycystic ovary syndrome is a problem in which a woman's hormones are out of balance. It can cause problems with your periods and make it difficult to get pregnant. PCOS also may cause unwanted changes in the way you look. If it isn't treated, over time it can lead to serious health problems, such as diabetes and heart disease.

Most women with PCOS grow many small cysts on their ovaries. That is why it is called polycystic ovary syndrome. The cysts are not harmful but lead to hormone imbalances.

Basically...if like me...its been the bane of my life and unfortunately i have not been able to have children because of this...i suffer with a severe hormone imbalance and i wont even tell you about the periods LOL!!