I just don't know :(

P1ckle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
T2 on metformin, pretty new to this. DN said not to test bg but I can't control what I don't know. I bought a monitor and test each morning (fasting). Results are never below 8. Is this a problem and why are they?
Please, I'm grateful for any advice/comments. Thank you

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning readings can be high. In order to see if it´s possible to reduce them a bit I suggest you test your food, i e test before and after a meal. Usually you are told to test after two hours. I find this is too long or too short so test at 1 hour after and then every hour until I'm back to baseline. When trying out new food, that is. Otherwise I rarely test now.

Reactions: 2 people

P1ckle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I don't want to get obsessed with testing, especially as DN says I shouldn't be, but I don't know how else to know what's going on

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I don't want to get obsessed with testing, especially as DN says I shouldn't be, but I don't know how else to know what's going on
I think it's perfectly normal to be obsessive with testing. Initially, that is. Test away. It's the only way to learn how to manage. After a while you'll know what you can eat safely and in what amounts and what should be avoided so no need for much testing.

My advice is to test when you have a question. For example, Will this bowl of porridge with give me a sharp spike or, as it's supposed to be lowish GL, a long but not steep rise? So you start on, let's say 8 and test every hour or even every half hour with numbers like 10.3 12.9 16.0 11.8 9.0

If this is the case maybe porridge with milk is a bad idea.

Reactions: 2 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.
I was diagnosed in February so still learning. I have found testing before a meal and 2 hours after will show how you cope with that meal. It takes time to build up a picture of what is happening. For me the first thing I noticed was a very large spike after Weetabix - it went up by about 4 of more points so I then changed to having eggs for breakfast. If you can test then you can see how your meals are affecting your blood sugar. We are all different and what I can eat is not the same as someone else. For a while I had to cut out all bread but now I can manage one small thin slice of wholemeal. On diagnose I was told my blood sugar was 18 fasting. When I started testing a few weeks later I was having readings in 10's and 11's. Now mine are down mostly in the 5's but that has been gradually over the last few months. Do ask questions as people on here are really working to keep their diabetes under control and very willing to help.

Reactions: 4 people

P1ckle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thx you guys, that's brilliant advice and just what I needed to hear. I was only diagnosed in March. I'll definitely be tying this and am not so afraid to test more often. Tytyty

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to chime in, I was also told "no need to test, it's only necessary for people on insulin", but I completely agree with you, @P1ckle - how can I control what I don't know!?

So I bought a meter and went through a period of testing 7-8 times per day. Now I'm aware of the effect low carb has on my daily values, and only test first thing in the morning and occasionally after a meal out or something else that's not routine. So I'd say, keep up the testing until you understand what is going on with your body and food/exercise.

TrinMonroe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I dont understand why people are being told not to test?? Surely as advised by Hitsme and others...you need to know where and when your blood sugar levels spike and after what foods.
Even when i wasnt on insulin i was advised to test before a meal and 1-2 hours after.
A high reading in the morning may mean you need to up your night time meds?
So test for a week...waking bloods...before and after all meals and before bed and then you will see where your levels spike etc.

My advise is go low carb..its made a huge diff to my blood sugar levels and i wish i had taken this more serious when i was first diagnosed in 2003.
Good luck and keep reading this forum...i have found it very useful and alot of lovely supportive people on here...its just nice to know sometimes that you are not alone :)

Reactions: 6 people

P1ckle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was afraid to ask, but I'm so glad I did. Thank you everyone