A warning

joneswood

Hi

I'm newly diagnosed with diabetes 2 and having to inject insulin. I also have prostate cancer and am having hormone therapy, the side effects of which can be a dry mouth and possible blurred vision, therefore when I got both of these symptoms I ignored them and put them down to the side effects of the drug. It eventually got so bad I went to my optician who sent me immediately to the Doctor who took a blood test and later that day phoned me and told me to get to hospital quickly, my blood test showed 35.1 BG.when I arrived at hospital a further blood test showed just over 40 BG.

I was in hospital for four days in the emergency assesment unit and now some two weeks later my BG is down to 15, still plenty of work to do!

Why I'm writing this is as a warning to those men who have prostate cancer and are on the hormone implants as part of the treatment, please don't fall into the same trap as myself.

Regards

Clive

OneDiabetic

Hi Joneswood, thanks for sharing that with us, its always good to get some firm advice and makesure everyone is aware of possible dangers, in any respect to diabetes. I shall be writing about this on my blog, if you wouldnt mind?, spreading the word to my readership.

Many thanks

Gavin :)

joneswood

Hi Gavin

Please use this on your blog, I think the more that know about this the better.

Yesterday my BG went up to 24.6, hopefully I'll get the hang of it soon!

Regards

Clive

joneswood

Hi Gavin and all

On reflection I thought I had better let you know which other drugs I was on that also produced the same side effects. These were Tamsulosin and Urispas these are used for increasing the urine flow and suppresing bladder spasms.

Regards

Clive

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Clive
Ask your Healthcare team, or your Pharmacist( who may have more time) to go through all your medications with you. that way yyou will learn what to expect and what effects they have, plus any potential interactions.

Thanks for posting the warning. I'm female, so it isn't for me, but the chaps should be aware.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya clive and welcome,
thankyou for that info, and hope we can help u soon :D

OneDiabetic

Clive, many thanks for sharing with us, i have now posted on my blog and spread the message

I hope your bloods will calm soon, and i hope your general health improves.

Many thanks

Gavin