Additional Drugs - Are They Really Needed?

EllieLou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What do you think about Type 1s taking Metformin along side their insulin?

Ive been type 1 for 2 years and my doctor has just put me on Metformin as well as staying on my insulin. Im a bit confused because when I was diagnosed I was told that Metformin was treatment for type 2s and wouldnt work for a type 1. Im pretty insulin resistant so I do take a fair amount of insulin but im now also on one tablet a day (for now, there has been talk of upping the dose!) So far I havent seen much of a difference, but I wonder if anyone else is in the same position?
I did read the other day though that more type 1s will be put on Metformin as it can be used to aid weight loss and scientists have decided that most people, especially men will be very overweight by 2020. It didnt say what they were basing this opinion on but hey!
Oh and apparently doctors want to put all diabetics on statins as a pre caution because we are more likely to have bad cholesterol! So far I have declined the statins but I would be interested to know what you all think.
Let me know what your views are on this!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@EllieLou, probably worth using the search function on the cholesterol question - there are many discussions about them on the forum and there are some interesting questions regarding whether what we consider to be normal and good cholesterol levels are valid. Let's just say it is a contentious subject. After reading all the evidence, i took myself off Statins.

One of the benefits of Metformin is that it reduces insulin resistance, so if you are overweight it allows you to use less insulin, which means that you should also lay down less fat. That's usually the main reason for putting T1s on Metformin.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
If it were me I would explore the option of trying different insulin's to see if that made a difference to your resistance.
Statin's I wouldn't touch with a barge poll and I've been type 1 for 50 years.

Reactions: 2 people

sp41700

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. Ellielou. How much insulin do you take a day and what are your carb ratios? There are some people on the forum that do have low insulin requirements and there are some who need a bit more.

On the statin conundrum. I was put on the wonderdrugs called statins due to a high cholesterol years ago. I like tim2000s looked at the evidence and decided not to take them. I used benecol initially to bring it down and then modified my diet. Last bloods and my LDL/HDL or is it HDL/LDL was ok.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I saw some test results on the web a year ago that showed that insulin + Metformin gave slightly better blood sugar control than insulin alone but it was marginal. Yes, it's good for you if you are a bit overweight. The other reason to have Metformin is that it has some other protective properties such as for the heart which is why my DN wanted me to stay on it. If overweight when on insulin then reducing the carbs is always a good way forward

EllieLou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive been on the pump for the last couple of months so only use quick release insulin (novorapid) in on roughly 80 units a day, my ratios vary for different times of the day which is a bit frustrating!
I havent noticed a change in my sugar levels since taking the Metformin but saw my doctor today and they want me to up my dose now. As for the statins, I think I will continue to avoid them for as long as possible!

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Metformin is used to combat insulin resistance, so if you can use less insulin it is better all round for you. It has quite a few protective properties and is considered one of the good guys in the drugs world.

Ali

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive been on the pump for the last couple of months so only use quick release insulin (novorapid) in on roughly 80 units a day, my ratios vary for different times of the day which is a bit frustrating!
I havent noticed a change in my sugar levels since taking the Metformin but saw my doctor today and they want me to up my dose now. As for the statins, I think I will continue to avoid them for as long as possible!
80 units a day is a very high Total Daily Dose for a woman. I have had type 1 for nearly fifty years and I'm on between 24 and 30 units a day depending on my daily activities. So Metformin may help you. What would probably help you more, though, is a pretty rigorous exercise routine. It's a more natural way to decrease insulin resistance and doesn't have any side effects!

Having said that, however, I think there is a bit of a "craze" going on for Metformin right now because even with my (rather high) insulin sensitivity and low TDD, my endocrinologist suggested Metformin for me recently on the grounds I am getting a ( post-menopausal) belly and am at the top of my range for BMI. I did refuse, though. I just said I'd rather up my exercise routine first. Then we'll see. Now my insulin requirements have gone down and my belly is shrinking so I think I'll go back and say, "Told you so!"

starbuck91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What do you think about Type 1s taking Metformin along side their insulin?

Ive been type 1 for 2 years and my doctor has just put me on Metformin as well as staying on my insulin. Im a bit confused because when I was diagnosed I was told that Metformin was treatment for type 2s and wouldnt work for a type 1. Im pretty insulin resistant so I do take a fair amount of insulin but im now also on one tablet a day (for now, there has been talk of upping the dose!) So far I havent seen much of a difference, but I wonder if anyone else is in the same position?
I did read the other day though that more type 1s will be put on Metformin as it can be used to aid weight loss and scientists have decided that most people, especially men will be very overweight by 2020. It didnt say what they were basing this opinion on but hey!
Oh and apparently doctors want to put all diabetics on statins as a pre caution because we are more likely to have bad cholesterol! So far I have declined the statins but I would be interested to know what you all think.
Let me know what your views are on this!
i would not take them as they made me so ill (metformin)

starbuck91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
coughing blood and being sick and always sleeping and having headaches and not eating at all