Can NovoRapid and Levemir That's in Use Be Put Back in a Fridge?

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am in Italy now and it gets very hot during the day. The temperature in my room easily reaches 30 degrees C and sometimes exceeds it. I put the insulin I use in a fridge I have in my room. I am not sure this is a good practice: putting the insulin I have stored in rooom temperature back into a fridge. I also have a frio with me but have not used it yet.

I suppose I should use the frio. But has anyone seen any detrimental effects to NovoRapid or Levemir if you put it back to fridge after having been stored at room room tempreature?

Thanks.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Once the insulin has been out of the fridge and at room temperature it should be used up within 4 weeks, that is the manufacturers advice and says so in the patient leaflet.

Reactions: 2 people

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Once the insulin has been out of the fridge and at room temperature it should be used up within 4 weeks, that is the manufacturers advice and says so in the patient leaflet.
Ok. So as long as I do not exceed the 4 weeks, I can keep storing it at room temperature and in the fridge interchangeably without any problems.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ok. So as long as I do not exceed the 4 weeks, I can keep storing it at room temperature and in the fridge interchangeably without any problems.

Not sure what effect it would have on the insulin swapping it from room to fridge temperature intermediately, why don't you just use your Frio Wallet to keep your insulin cool whilst in use.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice, I will do that. It has just been too convenient to use the fridge...

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never seen any info to say whether it is harmful to put insulin in use back in the fridge. The leaflet says no but I wonder why? Yes, use the frio wallet.

jgordon5

Oops! I often put mine back in the fridge if it's very hot. I've found that in really warm weather my frio feels quite warm inside. It's quite new so I can't see why it wouldn't be working but it still feels more lukewarm than cold. Anyone else find that?

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I quite often switch mine about. Especially the Novorapid as I can easily go a few days without using any. During the week when working it is in my bag and at the weekend if it's warm I put it in the fridge. My DSN said two things. One, she has had people travel around hot countries with no cooling for 6 weeks and not have an issue. Two, on the wards the nurses have to keep insulin in a fridge, as it can sometimes sting when cold they take it out and put it in there pocket for a few minutes to warm it a little then put it back in the fridge. I only use a little Novorapid and quite often us it for longer than 4 weeks without issue. I think so long as you as sensible, keep an eye on what it looks like and bin it if it looks odd or doesn't seem to work as well you'll be fine.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Oops! I often put mine back in the fridge if it's very hot. I've found that in really warm weather my frio feels quite warm inside. It's quite new so I can't see why it wouldn't be working but it still feels more lukewarm than cold. Anyone else find that?

You have to re-soak the Frio wallet when it starts to lose its cooling effect, generally this is every 5-7 days depending on how warm the weather is.

I've had my Frio Wallet for 6 or 7 years now and its still going working fine :)

jgordon5

You have to re-soak the Frio wallet when it starts to lose its cooling effect, generally this is every 5-7 days depending on how warm the weather is.

I've had my Frio Wallet for 6 or 7 years now and its still going working fine :)
Thanks, yes I do that but when I've been for a long walk and it's hot out, the wallet still feels a bit warm. Thanks though.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks, yes I do that but when I've been for a long walk and it's hot out, the wallet still feels a bit warm. Thanks though.

Shouldn't be warm, get in touch with the company and ask if you can send it back and get a replacement.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
@cz_dave, I've lived in SouthEast Asia since diagnosis where temperatures 30+ deg are the norm. So doctors advice is to keep insulin in fridge. I usually keep my current pens in the fridge but will leave out (say in my handbag) at work as the office has strong aircon. Frio packs when travelling. But you need to use up / dispose of within 30 days regardless as the insulin definitely degrades.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Frio's work well in dry heat, but I've had same problem in high humidity, where the heat dispersion is less effective. Ditto in small space - bag, hand luggage, small locker, etc.

jgordon5

Thanks oldgreymare - yes, mine is usually in my rucksack and it is pretty humid. I did tell Frio and bought a new one as my other one was quite old but im finding the same thing, whereas when I come to think of it, the Frio worked fine in dry heat in NZ.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@cz_dave, I've lived in SouthEast Asia since diagnosis where temperatures 30+ deg are the norm. So doctors advice is to keep insulin in fridge. I usually keep my current pens in the fridge but will leave out (say in my handbag) at work as the office has strong aircon. Frio packs when travelling. But you need to use up / dispose of within 30 days regardless as the insulin definitely degrades.
Thanks so much for your response @oldgreymare. I spend a lot of time in southern Italy as my wife is from here and so I wondered what the advice would be for a hot climate, especially now with all those heat waves. One less doubt about insulin maintenance in the summer heat thanks to your advice!

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I live in Istanbul, which has similar temperatures in the summer. I always keep my insulin in the fridge, opened or not, unless I have to carry it about for a particular purpose. Of course it will help to keep it stable in the heat. I used to keep both my Novorapid pens and my Lantus pens in the fridge door. Now I have a pump, I never load the reservoir with more than three days' supply of Novorapid. It is true that the insulin degrades simply because you have started the vial/pen, so you may need to discard the end of it even if you keep it in the fridge. But I think the question is not can you put it BACK in the fridge, but why would you keep it OUT of the fridge in hot weather? Caution is best, I'd say.

sandra curtis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Insulin that is in use should be placed in Frio wallet after wallet has been immunised in water as per instructions out of a fridge.

sandra curtis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Insulin that is in use should be placed in Frio wallet after wallet has been immunised in water as per instructions out of a fridge.
Sorry I ment insulin should be placed in Frio wallet that has been soaked in water as instructed.These should then be placed in as cooler place as you can in the room.Not near the windows.

JBlaza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, traffic fumes
Hi guys, I am currently reading Think Like a Pancreas and that says that keeping insulin in the fridge makes it more prone to air bubbles and less comfortable to inject because of feeling cold - so I assume as long as you are careful about not injecting bubbles there wouldn't be a problem.