diet ideas

susanb

hi im new to this site im looking for some diet ideas ive lost stone and half but struggling with last half stone sick of eating same old foods any ideas greatfully received

Marz Barr

I would love some diet ideas I don,t care about being fat with me what you see is what you get but last year I broke my foot and it is still painfull so i would like to loose a stone or so even though i could do with losing 6 I have been a vegatarian for 28 years

manofkent99

Hi, Marz Barr
I have always enjoyed fruit cake but three years ago had to give it up because of Type II
However. I found the following and can thoroughly recommend it.
Best regards to all

FRUIT LOAF - NO ADDED SUGAR
225 g Sultanas
225 g Dried Apricots, finely chopped
110 g Stork Margarine
110 ml Apple Juice, unsweetened
225 g Self Raising Flour
3 Eggs [large]

METHOD
Put margarine, fruit and apple juice in a glass mixing bowl and melt in microwave, full power, for 2½-3 minutes. Remove from oven and stir well.
Cover with a cloth and cool overnight. [This seems to be essential]
Add eggs and flour and mix well.
Preheat oven – 150oC, Gas Mark 2.
Spoon mixture into well greased loaf tins – the mix will provide for 1 x 2lb tin or 2 x 1lb tins – and cook in the middle of the oven for 1½ - 1¾ hours.

Eat slowly and enjoy.

candyrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
loathe cheese and yoghurt, spinach, rhubarb and apricots
Christmas Pudding
--------------------------------
This is an alternative Christmas Pudding

2 or 3 very ripe bananas
2 large cups soft breadcrumbs
2 cups mixed fruit
1 cup of milk
2 tsps mixed spice
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Squeeze of lemon juice

Put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix very well
Grease a basin and pour in mixture. Cover with a loose
round greaseproof paper, then tie a cloth or foil pleated
in the middle. Steam for 2 hours. When cool, can be put
into freezer, then brought out and microwaved on
Christmas Day.

candyrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
loathe cheese and yoghurt, spinach, rhubarb and apricots
Meat Loaf
----------------
1 lb mince
1 grated potato
1 grated apple
1 finely chopped onion
freshly ground pepper
1 tblsp soy sauce
2 tblsp tomato sauce
2 tblsp flour
1 teasp Worcestershire suace
1 egg

Put all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well, cover with film and
leave in the fridge. I do this in the morning.
When you are ready to cook, line a loaf tin,
press the ingredients well down, bake at GasMark 4, 180cg,
350F for one hour, pour any juice away, then leave to stand
for a while. Don't use any salt as that is in the soy sauce.
It can be frozen, so make two.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
With all those great recipes, I feel the urge to add one of my own
Delicious Burgers:
250g minced beef( not too lean)
150g minced pork these 2 can be varied
1 slice bread crumbed
1clove garlic crushed,
1Small onion finely chopped.
1 egg
Salt and pepper
Fry onion and garlic gently until flavour develops. Your nose will tell you.
Mix meats, onion,garlic and breadcrumbs. When thoroughly blended (can use food processor)
add egg and get mix evenly distributed. Season, pat into "burgers" and grill or fry gently. Is done when juices run clear on pricking. Eat hot or allow to cool and trim with tomato sliver, gherkin and mayo and wrap in lettuce leaf for "Take-away"
this one's good for picnics.
the same mixture can be used for meatloaf or meatballs, when you can deglaze the frying pan after browning balls, with a can of chopped tomatoes, some red wine and red pepper. you can hide some carrot too. Put meatballs and sauce into a casserole dish and cook slowly in oven for a couple of hours.

manofkent99

Hi, Folks
I am a great lover of pasta and, since it is low GI, I have pasta dishes quite often.
Here are four recipes that I have tried many times and always enjoy.
Type 2 aged 73

ITALIAN PASTA BAKE

1 Onion
2 Carrots
3 Cloves of Garlic
2 Sticks of Celery
4 oz Mushrooms
1 Tin Condensed Tomato Soup (400g)
1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes (400g)
2 Rashers Bacon
2 tsp Fresh Basil (or 1 tsp Dried Basil)
1 lb Mince, Beef or Turkey
8 oz Pasta Twists
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Black Pepper
6 Tbs Olive Oil (or Corn Oil)
6 oz Strong Cheese

METHOD
Chop onion, garlic, carrot, celery, mushrooms and bacon finely. Heat the oil in a thick bottom saucepan and add vegetables, mince and bacon. Cook gently for 20 minutes, stirring frequently but do not brown. Add the salt and pepper, basil, tomato soup and chopped tomatoes. Stir well and bring to the boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Cook the pasta in 2½ pints of boiling water to which has been added one teaspoon of salt for 12 minutes. Drain well and add to other ingredients.
Mix well and put all into an over proof dish. Grate cheese over the top and cook in a moderate oven, Gas Mk4, for 30 minutes.
The Pasta Bake freezes well and the above recipe will serve 6.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
PRAWN PASTA WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE

2 Mugs Shell Pasta
200 g Frozen Prawns
250 g Mushrooms
2 Tbs Sherry
10 g Butter
10 g Flour
200 ml Milk
Salt
Pepper
Parmesan Cheese

METHOD
Three-quarters fill a four-pint saucepan with cold water and add a level dessertspoon of salt. Bring to the boil and put in the pasta. Continue to boil gently for 20 minutes.
Peel and finely chop mushrooms and gently fry in a small quantity of oil (or butter). When mushrooms begin to soften, add the sherry.
Melt butter in a thick bottom saucepan and sprinkle flour into it stirring to prevent browning. Add a small amount of the milk and stir until smooth. Add remainder of milk and continue heating until the sauce just begins to thicken, stirring continuously. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir in mushrooms. Reduce heat and keep warm until ready to serve.
Cook the prawns in the microwave, (six minutes medium-high), stirring every two minutes.
Serve pasta, sprinkling the parmesan cheese over it, drain prawns and serve on the top of the pasta. Pour mushroom sauce over the prawns and pasta.

SAVOURY PASTA

4 Cups Shell Pasta
4 oz Cooked Ham
4 oz Cooked Pork
1 oz Butter
1 oz Flour
10 f/oz Milk
1 oz Cheddar Cheese
¼ tsp Salt
Ground Black Pepper
12oz Tin of Sliced Apricots

METHOD
Cook pasta in salted water until soft.
Mix flour with a little milk to make a paste. Finely chop ham and pork and grate cheese. Melt butter in remainder of milk and stir in flour paste, grated cheese and chopped meat. Stir until mixture just begins to thicken.
Drain pasta and serve. Pour sauce over pasta and serve with sliced apricots.
VEGETABLE CRUMBLE

Topping
3 oz margarine
6 oz wholemeal flour
4 oz Cheddar cheese
2 oz chopped mixed nuts
2 tbs sesame seeds

Vegetables
2 lbs mixed vegetables, potato, carrots, french beans, courgettes or anything that happens to be around.
1 large onion
2 oz margarine
1 oz wholemeal flour
8 oz tomatoes (or tinned equivalent)
½ pint vegetable stock
¼ pint milk
3 tbs chopped parsley
salt and pepper

METHOD
Sauté onion in margarine. Prepare and cook other vegetables lightly. Add remaining ingredients. Prepare crumble topping and cook in oven at 375°F, 190°C for about ½ hr.

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Well done Susan, I lost a stone and a half myself a few years ago but it started to creep back up again and now I have to lose another stone :( I'm not diabetic myself, but my mum has type 2 and my gran had it as well. I had a scare last month when I did a home testing kit and my glucose was higher than average (about 8 - does this make me pre-diabetic?) Luckily, it was just a one-off and I've gone on a diet and am seeing my practice nurse every fortnight so she can keep an eye on me.I've lost 5 pounds so far :D but has anyone got any thoughts on the GI diet? Any success stories would be gratefully received,
Bubsy Malone :wink:

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Great recipes everybody. I'm new to this site but have been diabetic (2) since December 2006. Last week I was diagnosed with IBS and a little hernia by my belly button. I need to lose 2 stones before the doctor will refer me to a surgeon.
I'm cutting down on the amount of food I eat, rid of all chocolate, biscuits and other rubbish. I have been on yoghurt and fruit last 2 days (except evening emal normally fish/ meat + vegetables). Now I'm trying mixed sald for rest of the week.
Anybody got any suggestions for meals I can take to work? No seafood/barbecue/smoked food though. :p