CGM.

onthegow

Where can I buy CGM from.
Also does anyone use CGM with Omnipod the website say the PDM is capable. I have searched the net but drawn a blank. I have been accepted for a pump but thought I would try a CGM too.
Any ideas.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
There are 3 stand alone CGM's on sale in the UK Medtronic,Dexcom and the Navigator. If you are having a pump and want a CGM why on earth don't you choose a pump with CGM compatibility, this would work out a lot cheaper for you. Animas and Medtronic are CGM compatible.

Reactions: 2 people

jackvdbuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are 3 stand alone CGM's on sale in the UK Medtronic,Dexcom and the Navigator. If you are having a pump and want a CGM why on earth don't you choose a pump with CGM compatibility, this would work out a lot cheaper for you. Animas and Medtronic are CGM compatible.
how much would i be looking at to purchase a CGM device?

edit: found the price.. very expensive lol

Initial cost - for the hardware such as the receiver and transmitter - varies from around £1,000 to £2,500.

If you have a newer Medtronic pump you may find CGMS is already integrated or may be available if you pay a supplement (around £200).

Running costs
The main ongoing cost is the disposable sensors, costing around £40 - £60 per sensor, with each sensor lasting a recommended 5 - 7 days. Many users find they can wear their sensors for longer than the recommended number of days.

In some cases you also need adhesive covers to keep the sensors in place or protect them from water.

You may also need to buy semi-disposable components such as transmitters every 18 months or so.

Zebediah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the Freestyle Libre CGM https://abbottdiabetescare.co.uk/our-products/freestyle-libre
I have used it since december. its not on the NHS and costs £50 every 2 weeks. It marvelous. My treatment has been transformed. It made me realise I can't eat large amounts of carbs and properly control my sugars.
Its not perfect, some people have had skin reactions, and some have had trouble with accuracy. Also you have to sign up and wait to be invited to buy one! My mother has been waiting 2 months so far.

long thread here that is very userful on this site http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/freestyle-libre-on-sale.65900/page-168

good luck and i predict that if you are not already low carbing you will be within 2 weeks of wearing your cgm.

Reactions: 2 people

onthegow

Thank you all very much.
With regards to picking the pump the omni pod controller is CGM ready or donut says on the info I got.
Once again thank you all.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thank you all very much.
With regards to picking the pump the omni pod controller is CGM ready or donut says on the info I got.
Once again thank you all.
I would double check this as only info I could find applies to the USA only. If it applies to the UK can we have links to the info please? :)
This is what I found https://www.myomnipod.com/about-omnipod/omnipod-CGM/ which isn't saying it's got a built in receiver so you need a stand alone system like dexcom or Medtronic if you want CGM.

onthegow

Hummmm maybe I was looking at USA one. Typical not reading correctly. Anyway I have gone with Omnipod pump should have it soon. Can't wait

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hummmm maybe I was looking at USA one. Typical not reading correctly. Anyway I have gone with Omnipod pump should have it soon. Can't wait
You were probably seeing the recent announcement that the next generation of PDM will be compatible with the Dexcom share functionality. That isn't due out till late 2015/2016.