To pump or not to pump... some help please

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I'm looking into trying a pump and have been for a little while. I currently am on MDI and inject around 10 times a day.

I think my control has improved massively over the past few months with the Freestyle Libre and knowledge of what carbs and insulin do over time.

I understand many of the positives of a pump and have seen plenty of great posts and information on here. I can see how it would be a good thing, however, i'd really like to hear from somebody for which a pump has not worked out and why. A strange thing to ask maybe but i'd really like to understand both sides before taking the decision.

I've done a search for this information but really can't see anything post for somebody that has tried and decided not to carry on with a pump and the reasons.

The uncertainty of going onto a pump is for the usual reasons such as not wanting to have it attached all the time. Sport (basketball), can't wear it for that. Sleeping (sure it gets in the way and would have to wear clothes in bed!!), swimming, in the summer and on holiday - constant reminder...

So, any on the why it's not worked for somebody would be great.

Thanks,

mandasharp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not many dislikes
Hi, ive had the pump a few years ago, it didn't last long and came off it and went back to mdi, yes I found the sleeping thing annoying and it just bugged me and found it all high maintenance ,but as a few years have now passed and control is just not tight enough ,my consultant has asked me to try going on the pump again ,so for better control and flexibility im willing .

katielarsen18

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This line might help ease some of your anxiety- you can wear it for basketball and all the time without worrying about it. All the pieces fit snugly, so there is no jostling the pump and it's perfect for sleeping without getting tangled up. http://www.pocketinnerwear.com/t1dtechwear/

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 202

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on the insight for 3 months.
I know that you want people who have gone back to mid but I just wanted to put your mind at rest. You can still participate in sport. I wear knickers to bed and I use the longer tubing that allows me to move freely in bed. It occasionally wakes me up but not very often. I was also worried about being attached all of the time but I rarely think about it. I remove for showers and dressing I then just clip it onto my bra or waistband. I love my pump and there isn't anything that I miss about mid. X

Reactions: 2 people

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Being hooked up 24/7 is not a problem for me anymore been wearing mine for 20 days and honestly sometimes I forget that it's there. I would never go back to MDI. My pump is waterproof so I can swim with it on, you can unhook for up to an hour so sport isn't a problem. I hook my pump to the front of my shorts in bed and have never had a night of disturbed sleep, I just forget it's there an drift off, you can also just lie it next to you because the tubing is long and the pump will move with you. You can't break it by lying on it if you could mine would be gone by now! I always hook my pump to whatever trousers I'm wearing and if I'm wearing a dress I put on a special band where I can just slot the pump in.

LittleMiss77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been on the insight for 3 months.
I know that you want people who have gone back to mid but I just wanted to put your mind at rest. You can still participate in sport. I wear knickers to bed and I use the longer tubing that allows me to move freely in bed. It occasionally wakes me up but not very often. I was also worried about being attached all of the time but I rarely think about it. I remove for showers and dressing I then just clip it onto my bra or waistband. I love my pump and there isn't anything that I miss about mid. X
I certainly don't miss MDI. I made my own pump cases to fit on a bra and one that ties around my waist at night. I didn't like or trust the ones given at my induction as some pumps have been known to slip out as material too stretchy and wrong design. I don't even know it is there and it has certainly changed my life and given me more freedom. Would not change this for anything.