Moving to New Zealand

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Moving over to work in NZ later this year. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of living there, particularly in the context of T1d?
I've been told you can only bring three month supplies at a time into the country.... But you have to pay for insulin over there which I imagine would e extremely expensive! So I was going to try and bring more than what I'd need, maybe a six month supply if I could get away with it and hope they don't notice!
Also when flying with unopened insulin pens, are there any storage requirements for the journey or can they be left in your main luggage?
Thanks

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hiya I lived in NZ for a few years before diagnosis, would of loved to of gone back too so would be interested to hear your replies to this. I paid privately for my healthcare when I was there, but didn't see a doctor very often. Where are you moving to ?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also when flying with unopened insulin pens, are there any storage requirements for the journey or can they be left in your main luggage?
hi @bellabella

It's not good to put insulin in your main (hold) luggage as it will freeze at high altitude and be useless. You need to carry it in your cabin bag. You could ask the air crew if it can be kept in the fridge for the journey though.

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I lived there for 4 years recently and I didn't have to pay for insulin etc (just a nominal prescription charge of a few dollars). However I had a permanent residence visa which is probably different if you have a work visa. If you have a permanent residence visa you can get your T1 stuff pretty easily but you must register with a GP as soon as you get there as they have to apply for funding from the Health Department which can take a few weeks. I had to buy some Lantus when I first got there and I remember it being about $60 a cartridge so £30 so certainly not cheap.

Also if you are on MDI they ask you how many units you take and then give you exactly the right amount for a specific time period. It's always better saying you take more insulin than you do.

If you have a work or other type of visa I am not sure on the rules so try and get hold of someone at the department of health there.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Where are you going to be living?

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks a million for the help! I'm moving to Whangerei up in the northland. I'm going to try bring at least enough supplies for six months when I'm out there and bring more when I come home for Christmas.

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I lived there for 4 years recently and I didn't have to pay for insulin etc (just a nominal prescription charge of a few dollars). However I had a permanent residence visa which is probably different if you have a work visa. If you have a permanent residence visa you can get your T1 stuff pretty easily but you must register with a GP as soon as you get there as they have to apply for funding from the Health Department which can take a few weeks. I had to buy some Lantus when I first got there and I remember it being about $60 a cartridge so £30 so certainly not cheap.

Also if you are on MDI they ask you how many units you take and then give you exactly the right amount for a specific time period. It's always better saying you take more insulin than you do.

If you have a work or other type of visa I am not sure on the rules so try and get hold of someone at the department of health there.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Where are you going to be living?
Thanks for the advice. Are they strict at the airport in terms of checking the quantity of insulin you have? I have a doctors letter for carrying insulin on the plane.
I have potentially a years supply between pens and cartridges

doyco385

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there, I live in New Zealand in Dunedin which is in the South Island. I used to live in Christchurch and was under the care of the Canterbury District Health Board. I am now under the care of the Southern District Health Board. You definitely do not have to pay for insulin, whoever told you this is wrong in every sense of the word. The diabetic teams in my opinion are brilliant, I have got some of the best doctors I have ever had in Dunedin looking after me. I keep in regular contact with my diabetic team via email and they give me advice when I need it. I go and see my team at the hospital whenever I need to, and they have nutritionists, dietitians and endocrinologists which are always there to help. In my opinion, the Canterbury District Health Board is not the greatest, the Southern District Health Board are amazing, but I'm not sure what the Northern District Health Board is like. The prevalence of type 2 diabetes is high in Auckland and Northland so I assume they would be pretty onto it.

Pharmac, the government agency that funds and supplies all drugs in New Zealand can be rather annoying at times. I have had to go through numerous applications to get my pump, but in the end all worked out fine. I presume you will have to apply to them through a GP to get funding for all this, however I dont see how this would be an issue. I am a NZ and English citizen, I was born in England and moved to New Zealand when I was very young so im not 100% sure what the case would be in your situation. If you did get funding, then it is as simple as signing up with a GP, and just explain what you need. They give you a prescription and then you pay $5 per prescription at the pharmacy if you are an NZ resident or citizen. If not, then i'm not sure on the process.

Hope this helps!

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice. Are they strict at the airport in terms of checking the quantity of insulin you have? I have a doctors letter for carrying insulin on the plane.
I have potentially a years supply between pens and cartridges
Best check with the Health Authority there. I don't know but don't think they will give you too much grief to be honest

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They've taken such a long time to process my medical exam results for the visa, that it looks like I won't have a visa in time for my flight today..... Grr, sometimes I hate diabetes

MaddyDiana

Hi everyone! This is old I know but I'm hoping to move to NZ for two years in October and was wondering about the medical tests and how it is with diabetes? Thank you