Tips on a VLCD

pamital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

I've spent a good few hours on here looking at (variations of) the Newcastle diet. I actually did the cambridge diet a few years ago with great success. It was tough but it worked. I only put weight back on when going through my marriage break-up and so went back to my old eating habits. Now this was before I was diagnosed with diabetes.
I was diagnosed 2 years ago and though my fasting level in the morning is now about 6, I have put on weight. I began taking glyclazide in april and I was advised this may happen. I don't like this!
So I'm going to do a vcld again. I've been looking at slim and save, exante or shake that weight.
My question, if I go for exante or slim and save, would it be ok to choose the 'meals' rather than just the shakes?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Reactions: 4 people

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... My question, if I go for exante or slim and save, would it be ok to choose the 'meals' rather than just the shakes?
I used Exante products, following their 600 calorie a day plan and lost 3 stones in 8 weeks. My (non-diabetic) wife joined me and followed a 1200 calorie a day plan and lost a stone and a half.

We first ordered their 4 week breakfast, lunch & dinner selection as the variety it offered looked appealing. To be honest, the dehydrated powers reconstituted into baby food consistency and weren't that appealing. The only advantage is the variety of hot & cold choices and some changes to flavours. Some were quite acceptable, some were "bleh".

Our subsequent orders, to complete our plan, revolved around the shakes & bars options. They were more palatable for us, but we tended to follow the pattern: AM - shake; Lunch - bar; PM: real food for her, meal choice for me - mainly to use up what we had left.

Nevertheless we consider the products helped us considerably and really gave me good results in terms of BG control. After 8 weeks of ND I have switched to LCHF to finish my weight loss and as a long-term strategy, as I didn't see ND as a solution, just a quick start to changing my T2 situation.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

pamital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that. I think I'll just go with shakes then. I remember trying meals before and they weren't very appetizing. It's only for 8 weeks, as you said. I'm the same as you - I'm using it as a kickstart.

Reactions: 2 people

Charl flo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used Exante products, following their 600 calorie a day plan and lost 3 stones in 8 weeks. My (non-diabetic) wife joined me and followed a 1200 calorie a day plan and lost a stone and a half.

We first ordered their 4 week breakfast, lunch & dinner selection as the variety it offered looked appealing. To be honest, the dehydrated powers reconstituted into baby food consistency and weren't that appealing. The only advantage is the variety of hot & cold choices and some changes to flavours. Some were quite acceptable, some were "bleh".

Our subsequent orders, to complete our plan, revolved around the shakes & bars options. They were more palatable for us, but we tended to follow the pattern: AM - shake; Lunch - bar; PM: real food for her, meal choice for me - mainly to use up what we had left.

Nevertheless we consider the products helped us considerably and really gave me good results in terms of BG control. After 8 weeks of ND I have switched to LCHF to finish my weight loss and as a long-term strategy, as I didn't see ND as a solution, just a quick start to changing my T2 situation.

Good luck.

This is really good to hear. I really like eating LCHF, however after 8 weeks (not tracking calories but just carbs) I have gained 3lbs. Wearing a CGM my blood sugars have stayed in a good range. So starting exante for 8-12 weeks to give me that weight loss boost too, then back to keto/LCHF to carry on.

How do you go back to the refeeding? After being on shakes ect? Nice to hear of someone who has been successful on a VLCD here :)