HI Guys

Well - here it is!!!!

HbA1c in July 2013 was 7.6
HbA1c in July 2015 is 6.2

Cholesterol in July 2013 was 7.6
Cholesterol in July 2013 is 4.3

BMI in July 2013 was 30.1
BMI in July 2015 is 23

My GP said 'That is amazing - and has taken extraordinary dedication'. I told her it was thanks to Prof T and the Newcastle program - and you guys on the forum.

She has taken me off all medication (officially) and said 'I believe your T2 is in remission'.

I have to have bloods done again in 3 months - but that is ok with me. I'll keep monitoring of course - but right now I feel like celebrating. Haven't felt this good since I gained my doctorate - or even more difficult - passed my 7th grade piano! This tops the lot. It feels like I have my life back.

Thanks guys - I really mean it. Having someone to talk to about this has been so important to me.

I will stay with this group - just as a recovering alcoholic stays with AA - and I want to hear how you are all getting on.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Reactions: 16 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great great job mate well done
It's been an amazing journey with so many ups and downs but it's all worth it in the end isn't it.

Reactions: 4 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
It's been an amazing journey with so many ups and downs but it's all worth it in the end isn't it.
Certainly is.....:p:D

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
HI Guys

Well - here it is!!!!

BMI in July 2015 is 23

My GP said 'That is amazing - and has taken extraordinary dedication'. I told her it was thanks to Prof T and the Newcastle program - and you guys on the forum.

She has taken me off all medication (officially) and said 'I believe your T2 is in remission'.

I have to have bloods done again in 3 months - but that is ok with me. I'll keep monitoring of course - but right now I feel like celebrating. Haven't felt this good since I gained my doctorate - or even more difficult - passed my 7th grade piano! This tops the lot. It feels like I have my life back.

Thanks guys - I really mean it. Having someone to talk to about this has been so important to me.

I will stay with this group - just as a recovering alcoholic stays with AA - and I want to hear how you are all getting on.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Congratulations on your "postdocrate with high distinction"

Reactions: 2 people

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
HI Guys

Well - here it is!!!!

BMI in July 2015 is 23

Congratulations so much! Really happy for you, you are an inspiring example for many others! Good work!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Add my congratulations.

Not wishing to rain on anyones's parade, but remember it is not the end! Just the end of the first phase. Job to be done now is to keep to less calorie consumption than pre ND levels, and your BG meter used accordingly.
Good luck!

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Question to post ND practioners. I guess that your daily calorific intake after the ND would be around 1200 calories/day ?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Question to post ND practioners. I guess that your daily calorific intake after the ND would be around 1200 calories/day ?
@Pasha that depends on the diet you follow. If it is high carb then it will need to be a lower calorie intake (than you used to have) but you still need 2k or so to maintain body mass - 1200 isnt enough for life unless you are continuing to plan to lose weight. With low carb you can eat a lot more calories and not store the fat. So for me I do a mixture of a few days of low carb and then a couple of higher carb (with extra exercise) and then every now and then I chuck in a week of low calorie Just to clear out the liver. That way I seem to not ruin my gut microbes and can enjoy all the foods I want. I test on the days I higher carb as these are the days I will detect any deterioration - so far so good

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
HI Pasha

Good question.

I am carefully watching my weight and making adjustments as I go. Not so much counting calories - more a case of watching the numbers. Of course some things I don't eat at all - potatoes, pasta, bread, high sugar content anything!!!!!!

I have been adjusting my weight by fasting. It's the only thing that works for me. If I start eating in the morning, I have no real incentive to count calories. But if I start the day without food - it's easy to continue through to the next morning. But I do have plenty to drink. (not alcohol though - unfortunately) :(

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
HI Guys

Well - here it is!!!!

BMI in July 2015 is 23

Congratulations

Reactions: 5 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pasha
I cannot always be very active. Slothful days I don't need more than about 1500, cals. Often less. More active days around 2000. Usually stay low carb, as I still have weight to lose and I gain with carb. Also the carbs are addictive to me and make me want more.

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Steve50 Massive congratulations. I know you had a minor setback in the last few weeks but have sorted out a solution that works for you ... the results are fantastic. I know that big internal & external grin feeling as you walked out from your appointment - the same as mine a couple of days before - it does feel good to be officially off the medication and have acknowledgement that your achievement is both remarkable and generally unseen in the GP's eyes.

My cholesterol readings are not as good as yours and will need attention - but let's enjoy this achievement now. It's showing that we have "turned back the clock" - in my case over 10 years for BG levels and probably something like 25 years for overall weight.

Reactions: 5 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks guys

First day med free. Fasting blood was 5.6 - same as when on the meds - so ----- fingers remain crossed. (although, to be fair, I had not been taking meds all of the time - they were making me feel light headed).

I am still going to lose a couple more kilos - just for safety - and to ensure weight does not go in the other direction. And also to ensure my Beta cell function has a god chance at recovery.

I read the study reported in the Times yesterday - Kings - statistically 1 in 210 obese men successfully return to 'normal'.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/newsevents/news/index.aspx

So - this is the real problem. Successfully returning to 'normal'.

Are we the 1:210 ????????? Is this a physical or mental recovery? How do we ensure 'normal' in a sustainable way?

I've got all of the questions..............hope we can find the answers.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys

First day med free. Fasting blood was 5.6 - same as when on the meds - so ----- fingers remain crossed. (although, to be fair, I had not been taking meds all of the time - they were making me feel light headed).

I am still going to lose a couple more kilos - just for safety - and to ensure weight does not go in the other direction. And also to ensure my Beta cell function has a god chance at recovery.

I read the study reported in the Times yesterday - Kings - statistically 1 in 210 obese men successfully return to 'normal'.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/newsevents/news/index.aspx

So - this is the real problem. Successfully returning to 'normal'.

Are we the 1:210 ????????? Is this a physical or mental recovery? How do we ensure 'normal' in a sustainable way?

I've got all of the questions..............hope we can find the answers.

I can't find anything in the article that talks about any period of sustained weightloss, only achievement of "normal weight", which by virtue of references to starting BMI of 30-35 and 5-10% weight loss, means, to me, tipping into the BMI range of 25 or below.

I would suggest this community had a higher than usual achievement rate that 1:210/124 (male/female respectively), but how the sustainability compares, who knows.

I read some people on this forum and feel confident they will maintain their reduced weight, within parameters, and others who may achieve their initial goal, but whose strategies seem flawed for longer term stability. For the latter, I hope I am the wrong one for each and every one of them.

As others have said, losing weight is the easy (OK, easier) bit, continued observance of a healthy lifestyle, aligned to our medical states is harder, for the next x years. I've done well, but I'm not complacent. I'm confident I can crack today, and tomorrow, but the next 30 years is too bold a statement for me to make. That guarded approach helps keep me on track.

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As others have said, losing weight is the easy (OK, easier) bit, continued observance of a healthy lifestyle, aligned to our medical states is harder, for the next x years. I've done well, but I'm not complacent. I'm confident I can crack today, and tomorrow, but the next 30 years is too bold a statement for me to make. That guarded approach helps keep me on track.
I think your last paragraph sums up my personal concerns too.

One day at a time I think. 30 years will take me to just short of 90, so that'll do me! :rolleyes:

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree @AndBreathe we would need to keep the weight off and stay on healthy bmi. We can't go back to the way we ate, I still do lchf and no weight gain, well 2 kilos in first two to three weeks post nd but have stayed stable since, a few 100 grams here and there. As far as the point of going for 3 0years is concerned I am only 33 so I might have to go for next 30 years like this and hence the reason for me to take a short break and have carbs just one meal in a week or two weeks as a treat, it keeps me going.