3 month turnaround of T2 with Newcastle Diet.

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to this forum that gave me the inspiration and information to make an informed decision about how to manage my T2 condition after ignoring it for 5 years I have:
  • lost 3 1/2 stones;
  • cut my HbA1c from 7.9% (63 mmol/mol) to 6.1% (43 mmol/mol);
  • eliminated all diabetes medication;
  • cut my blood pressure medication by 3/4's
All in the space of 3 months.

The GP is amazed and wants to know when I am going to start a local support group! :rolleyes:

Thanks DCUK!

Reactions: 22 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Rock 'n' Roll !

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
What great results in such a short time. The idea of a local support sounds good but you always just point people in this direction (less work for you!).

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... The idea of a local support sounds good but you always just point people in this direction (less work for you!).
Exactly what I suggested the GP does to any of his diabetic patients in general. I praised the forum to high heaven and how it offered responsible advice & support for all types of diabetes sufferers.

Reactions: 2 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to this forum that gave me the inspiration and information to make an informed decision about how to manage my T2 condition after ignoring it for 5 years I have:
  • lost 3 1/2 stones;

The GP is amazed and wants to know when I am going to start a local support group! :rolleyes:

Thanks DCUK!
Brilliant results....now what is the follow up plan to the ND? I assume you can't or won't stay on it for long periods of time so what happens next and will you still always have to eat the ''diabetic way''??

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant results....now what is the follow up plan to the ND? I assume you can't or won't stay on it for long periods of time so what happens next and will you still always have to eat the ''diabetic way''??
Already migrated to LCHF 4 weeks ago. It took a few weeks for my body to settle into the new style of eating, but the weight loss has restarted again and the BG readings improving too. This is my longer-term strategy and when I reach a suitable weight and A1c reading I will gradually adjust my food intake for maintaining the achievement I hope.

Reactions: 4 people

nanalinda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. I was diagnosed in 2011 and managed to change my eating habits and stay off medication until being diagnosed with breast cancer, radiation treatment sent my count up so am now having to take the medication (sucks ) after the 4 years of managing with my diet.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done. I was diagnosed in 2011 and managed to change my eating habits and stay off medication until being diagnosed with breast cancer, radiation treatment sent my count up so am now having to take the medication (sucks ) after the 4 years of managing with my diet.

What a shame but hopefully as when the radio therapy finishes you will get back on track and pff the meds.

Sending healing vibes your way and wishing you well.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Sorry to sound thick but what is LCHF? Is it Low carbs high fat or is it Low calorie high fibre?
Can you give me an example of such a dinner or lunch? Or cookbook?
Feeling rather lost with any abbreviation on here. :-(

Jonah87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
  • lost 3 1/2 stones;

Thanks DCUK!

Hi Rob,
Similar results here but I didn't follow the diet I just made up my own. I was 16st 4lbs on June 9th this year and today 14th August I am 13st 12lbs. In June my normal blood sugar reading in the morning was circa 7 - 7.5 - as was my HBA1C - this morning it was 4.6 and it hasn't been above 5.6 for over a month now. I eat less than 1000 calories a day. A typical day is: Breakfast - porridge made with water with nuts, seeds and cinnamon. Lunch - an orange or 1 or 2 other pieces of fruit. Afternoon snack - raw carrots or possibly 2 ryvitas with low fat soft cheese. Evening meal - chicken breast with salad or stir fried with vegetables. Dessert - bowl of mixed fruit with low fat Greek yoghurt. I have cut out almost all bread, potatoes, alcohol - except 3/4 pints on a Friday night with the TBC Club in the local pub (talking ******** club) No biscuits, cakes, pastries, sweets etc etc. Seems hard but in fact I have got used to it and when I reach my target of 13st I will slightly relax the regime. I am 70 yrs of age and was diagnosed 7 years ago. I also make a large pot of mixed vegetable soup which has been blended and if I relax on a lunchtime for instance and have a burger in a bun or similar (occasionally when I'm out with my son on my Harley!) I will just have a bowl of soup in the evening followed by the fruit. I have always liked my food but I can honestly say if you have the will power to stick to this for 2/3 months you will feel 100% better and who knows - perhaps your Type 2 has gone!

Reactions: 4 people