Type 1 who no longer needs to inject??

Zebediah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry just remembered you asked about any difficulties with ketogenic diet at first... not really, maybe felt a bit floaty (detached) for a couple of days in the beginning. I had some stomach ache... but I cut down on coffee and it cleared up - so probably not a keto problem.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very interesting. Thanks. One more question if you don't mind.

How did you adjust your insulin? Gradually? Or did you just stop injecting bolus when you started your diet and only continued with basal?

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, I started the LCHF diet a week ago and had to discontinue both my basal as well as bolus as I was going too low. I have not injected insulin for about 5 days now.

Today I woke up with 4.6 and my post-prandial BS would typically be around 5. Too good to be true really. It is funny that I have much better values with LCHF and no insulin as opposed to the "normal" diet and insulin that I was prescribed. Obviously, I still have quite some insulin of my own.

I called my diabetes doctor two days ago and informed him of starting the LCHF diet. He said he cannot approve...

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are blood tests for specific antibodies that can identify type 1 diabetes. The earlier you are tested the better . Did they perform a GAD Antibodies Test?

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, this is how I got diagnosed - high BS plus elevated presence of antibodies (GAD and ICA).

Reactions: 2 people

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, this is how I got diagnosed - high BS plus elevated presence of antibodies (GAD and ICA).

I think eventually the test is not useful after a certain amount of time ? They then move on to test c-peptides I think . I personally would really want a confirmed diagnoses although I know not everyone cares that much as to which type as long as they can treat it .

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is likely because you are still in the Honeymoon stage. During the honeymoon stage the production of insulin from the remaining cells varies quit a lot. For the most part, the remaining cells will eventually die off and you will become fully dependent on insulin.

I would suggest continuing to inject the very small amount if only to lessen the load on the remaining cells. Its been proven that if the remaining beta cells are overly stressed (ie - they are forced to produce more insulin then they typically do) they will die off faster. So if you keep injecting that small amount it will at least lessen the amount they need to put out and keep them a live longer.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks and totally agree. I stopped injecting as I was going a bit too low (e.g. low-carb meal + 1 unit Novorapid = 4.3 postprandial). As soon as the numbers go up, I will resume injecting of course.

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
It means your pancreas is still producing some insulin.as the other thread suggests,maybe the honeymoon time before insulin does goes up