Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
Hi all, really appreciate some advice.

Having moved to a new part of the country (Co Durham) from Suffolk I am upset at new medical centre staff attitude to Diabetes.

Years ago I lost 6 stone on Lighterlife and virtually reversed my T2 Diabetes. My surgery was 100% behind me. Unfortunately due to upsetting events in life, life in general and he returning to old habits which I fully admit to!!! I have put it all back on.

My Diabetes is not very well controlled, I feel so cumbersome and actually feel my weight is causing every day probs with mobility as I suffer from various probs including Sciatica. I am on Glimepiride at the moment and when I approached numerous GPs at new surgery about returning to Lighterlife or trying Cambridge diet they refuse to sign firms as they don't agree to it.

They referred me to Slimming World which has never worked for me, " unlimited" anything doesn't work for me and their so called Diabetic plan just advocates the usual carbs, carbs, carbs policy which doesn't work either. They won't refer me to a dietician but said they could refer me for bariatric surgery. To quote "however, you will have to endure a VLCD for a few weeks first if they accept you". I pointed out that I was asking to try a VLCD without surgery (which I don't want) at my own expense, anyway, answer is no.

I have looked at the Newcastle diet and wondered if I can use Slimfast or Asda/Tescos own shakes and bars. It works out calorie wise but the sugars seem quite high. I am absolutely desperate for help and feel as though in this part of the world Diabetes and Obesity seem rife and the attitude is, oh well, we just up the meds until you need Insulin! I have asked if I could be referred to a diabetic clinic for additional support and better choice of meds but have been told no.

Any advice?

Thanks a lot.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, really appreciate some advice.

Having moved to a new part of the country (Co Durham) from Suffolk I am upset at new medical centre staff attitude to Diabetes.

Years ago I lost 6 stone on Lighterlife and virtually reversed my T2 Diabetes. My surgery was 100% behind me. Unfortunately due to upsetting events in life, life in general and he returning to old habits which I fully admit to!!! I have put it all back on.

My Diabetes is not very well controlled, I feel so cumbersome and actually feel my weight is causing every day probs with mobility as I suffer from various probs including Sciatica. I am on Glimepiride at the moment and when I approached numerous GPs at new surgery about returning to Lighterlife or trying Cambridge diet they refuse to sign firms as they don't agree to it.

They referred me to Slimming World which has never worked for me, " unlimited" anything doesn't work for me and their so called Diabetic plan just advocates the usual carbs, carbs, carbs policy which doesn't work either. They won't refer me to a dietician but said they could refer me for bariatric surgery. To quote "however, you will have to endure a VLCD for a few weeks first if they accept you". I pointed out that I was asking to try a VLCD without surgery (which I don't want) at my own expense, anyway, answer is no.

I have looked at the Newcastle diet and wondered if I can use Slimfast or Asda/Tescos own shakes and bars. It works out calorie wise but the sugars seem quite high. I am absolutely desperate for help and feel as though in this part of the world Diabetes and Obesity seem rife and the attitude is, oh well, we just up the meds until you need Insulin! I have asked if I could be referred to a diabetic clinic for additional support and better choice of meds but have been told no.

Any advice?

Thanks a lot.

I haven't done the Newcastle Diet, but several others on the forum have.

The link Catherine has just posted is excellent, with lots of sub-pages to keep you out of mischief for a while! But, in his work, Professor Taylor clearly states the important factor is losing weight, not how the weight is lost. Nor is the pace of loss critical, although I'm pretty positive one of the big upsides of the Newcastle approach with the VLCD is that results are fast, rather than an individual with a fair amount to lose, losing slowly. The weight and blood scores dropping is bound to be pretty motivational?

From watching Professor Taylor present, he pretty much says the use of the shakes/meal replacements is to make compliance easy for his study subjects. As he was measuring them regularly (weight, girth and bloods), he needed to know they had been eating.

In the scheme of things, although the carb content of the shakes is high, in the bigger picture it all adds up to not very much, so it becomes less important. It would be important if you were having those shakes alongside a "normal diet".

There are also several people who have followed the Newcastle diet, by using "proper" food, but just limiting the intake severely.

If you do a forum search on the Newcastle Diet, you will have lots of results come back.

Good luck with it all.

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread that started back in March shares the experiences of several of us who have undertaken Newcastle Diets with quite some success. It does now run to a lot of pages but a skim read will reveal a wealth of useful information as well as experiences of passing through phases you are likely to encounter. Contributions there are also likely to generate responses from those of us who have contributed and we will happily answer questions based on what we have gone through.

Last edited by a moderator:

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've done the Newcastle diet (twice) and while I was very successful it's not for the faint hearted.

Not sure about the bars but I started with the Asda shake and changed to the Tesco one when my local Asda stopped selling it.

I was a bit naughty and did it without telling my diabetes nurse, well I told her after the fact but she was ok about it and congratulated me on my results. I do however recommend you do let your diabetes nurse or GP know. The link that catherinecherub gave ought to help you put your case.

Two small things...
I started taking multivitamins and iron supplement and adding some fibre to the shakes and veg to help with err... to help. :)

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Jim

Reactions: 2 people

Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
Thank you all for your support. I have spoken to a Cambridge Diet counsellor and I can start that albeit at the higher plan first which is 1500 calls a day, two weekly intervals decrease cals to lower stage then stay on stage 2 until reach goal weight. That plan is eventually 800 cals a day.
Apparently, do not need GP permission, just them agreeing to monitor me and although I was disappointed to have to start that high in a way I think it will make it more achievable.

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you all for your support. I have spoken to a Cambridge Diet counsellor and I can start that albeit at the higher plan first which is 1500 calls a day, two weekly intervals decrease cals to lower stage then stay on stage 2 until reach goal weight. That plan is eventually 800 cals a day.
Apparently, do not need GP permission, just them agreeing to monitor me and although I was disappointed to have to start that high in a way I think it will make it more achievable.
excellent. Keep posting and we will give you encouragement. Remember when you feel hungry to drink water as that bloats you and the hunger goes