FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
My bg levels are normally between >than 5 and <8.5. The last reading I took was bg - 8.2 and sensor 7.2. I can cope with readings consistently 1mmol lower, but I have already had sensor readings of anything between 0.5 and 2.0 lower than bg readings. As an example my after lunch bg reading was 7.2, but the sensor was 5.2!! I so wanted this CGM to work for me, but with occasional totally erratic readings, I'm losing confidence and wonder whether I should continue.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When you saw that 7.2 and 5.2, what was the arrow showing? Typically when there is a noticeable increase or decrease (ie an arrow up or down to some extent) is when the lag becomes obvious, and there is a lag!

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I've just gone back through all the readings and the arrow at 5.2 was horizontal.

TOMJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh boy. Doesn't that positioning rather cramp your scanning style, or are you over the uber-scanning phase??

I can't imagine myself, trundling round Tesco, or on my way to a business meeting, lifting my leg to scan round my girlie bits. :confused:

I'm sitting here chuckling away, but I think I'll give that particular position a miss.
Tom
I was advised a few weeks ago on this site (thanks Guys) to try my centre to inner thigh. works a treat and much easier to visually check it is still there. It did drop off on day 13 as I had Tegaderm patch on it that came unstuck and I decided to try without a sticky. I expect it also had dodgy glue. Tricia
@TOMJC If you use your inner arm you will hit your Biceps which might not be very relaxing..

I have been putting my last 3 or 4 sensors on my upper leg, a bit towards the outside. It can only get caught if you carry luggage or a bag or something, or if you are searching for a coin in your pockets and you accidentely grab the sensor..but seriously your legs are a good option to try. Also covering the sensor with a bit of tape (hansaplast) after some days (when the sensor gets less sticky) is worth a try.

Thanks very much everyone. Much appreciated!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just gone back through all the readings and the arrow at 5.2 was horizontal.

Was that a sensor reading, or a sensor scanned reading? What were the sensor readings either side of the 5.2?

Sometimes, I just get an apparently random figure, well off anything else, then when I look at the full data, the 15 minutes before and after make the rise or fall look improbable.

pmtbrew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I've used the Libre since November and have undertaken a number of control tests (I'll post the graph tomorrow) but it is generally accurate to 10% of the average blood sugar result. Remember every test has an error no no result is accurate.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My god - my latests sensor is even worse than the last one. I've been receiving a reading of 2.3 versus a blood of 6.4!!! I'm giving it 48 hours, but that is pretty dreadful.

Reactions: 3 people

Ocho8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry if this as been asked before, can can you reuse a sensor if it falls off? If so, how do you re-do putting it back on to your arm?
Abbot 's information states that you use a new sensor! Do you send the fallen sensor back and get it replaced free of charge?
These sensors are not cheap! Any advise or a link please. Thanks

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry if this as been asked before, can can you reuse a sensor if it falls off? If so, how do you re-do putting it back on to your arm?
Abbot 's information states that you use a new sensor! Do you send the fallen sensor back and get it replaced free of charge?
These sensors are not cheap! Any advise or a link please. Thanks
If the sensor falls off you can't reattach it. You should call Abbott on 0500 467 466

Ocho8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks robert72

So really in an ideal world you should have a spare sensor ready just in case one falls off. Or just go back to pricking your finger while a new sensor arrives. It's all down to how much you can afford.

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Yesterday I put some sugarcubes wrapped up in alluminium foil into my pocket. Just in case of a hypo. The foil Effects the sensor, which was on my leg and showed reading errors for 10 minutes. Glad it recovered some time after I took the cubes out of that pocket.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This sensor is out of here. The difference between BG and IFG was 178%. Another new one on the way. I'm pretty much at 50% failure rate now, if not greater. This is starting to get very silly. At least it means I'm paying on average about £30 per 14 days instead of the £50...

Reactions: 5 people

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
You seem to have a failure rate way over the average, or you're considering sensors as a failure sooner than other people. I think 4 out of 5 are working for me, so a failure rate of 20%.

But I don't check my sensor every day. Mine might also be out at times, but I just don't notice. And at the times I check them, they are usually within a fair range...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What tends to happen is that something will trigger me to test, e.g. A low that doesn't seem to be showing up or I get the nerve tingling in my right foot where the ankle was sprained. These have pretty much set bg levels at which they trigger. If I scan and see a noticeable discrepancy then I watch for 24-48 hours. If it comes back in line (variance of 1mmol/l or so I can live with) then I'm fine. It's when I start to see variance in excess of 35% consistently I register a complaint. The last sensor went from being on point in the first twenty four hours to 4mmol/l low consistently for the next 36. Over the last 24 hrs it hasn't registered a value above 3.2.

Reactions: 3 people

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Such differences are indeed unacceptable and might also be dangerous if you do not check or notice them. I hope the quality of the sensors can be improved by Abbot..(well of course you would notice a constant falsely indicated hypo, but in different cases)

I also had a constantly Low-reading sensor. It was just broke, apears you have had bad luck so far catching a lot of these. Do you use Compeed or underlayers?

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Just to lower the tone a bit; does anyone attach the sensor to their bums? I'm thinking of about a hand's breadth behind my hip?

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My last two I've worn just above the belt line on my rear hip. The first of those took ten days to stop giving sensible readings, the second 24 hours... Make of that what you will!

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
My last two I've worn just above the belt line on my rear hip. The first of those took ten days to stop giving sensible readings, the second 24 hours... Make of that what you will!

Puzzling; although it begs the question; can you tell your **** from your elbow? ;):)

Reactions: 6 people

Zebediah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using the Fresstyle since last december and it started out being very accurate. from april it became more erratic. i have been trying to work out why, and i think it may be me. Since January i have lost about 30 pounds in weight. My legs and arms are now fairly fat free in comparison to when i started. The last two Freestyle sensors i tried to locate them between muscle and hit what little fat is left. Both these sensors have been more accurate than the few before them.
Luckily i don't have any skin reactions, so i can just keep banging sensors in to almost the same position on the same arm

Insulin_junky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the info Zebediah, firstly, well done on the weight loss, this is a bit of guesswork but....

I agree with your thoughts, but via a different course, if I use too thick a blister plaster underneath the sensor the results are not right even though the electrode was definitely inserted. I believe that the sensor works best when both the working and reference electrodes are in the interstitial 'zone' or the epidermis.

libre removed.jpg
skin-dermis.gif

The thickness of the epidermis will vary depending based on a number of factors, for instance on how 'naturally' hairy your arm is, muscle and fat will have an impact too.

I guess this may be the reason why different people have different levels of success and different sweet spots, and one of the reasons why the Libre is only licensed for use on the back of the arm.

Attachments

• capillary-exchange-and-interstitial-fluid-labeled.jpg
    capillary-exchange-and-interstitial-fluid-labeled.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 989
Reactions: 5 people