Metformin and Lactic acidosis

jeffs6013

Hi all

I have been on 1 Metformin for Type 2 diabetes since November 2008.

I have been going to the gym or swimming approx 5 times a week and have lost 2 stone in weight and feelling good. My last HBa1c was 6.1 and i am hopefull that my next will be even better, given my recent BG levels.

However during this last week i have noticed my feeling weak and jittery within an hour of taking my Met. Whilst feeling like this i have taking my BG reading and have been in the 5.7 to 5.9 range
wich appears ok to me. I have read on the information supplied with the metformin that a side effect is Lactic Acidosis which makes your muscles feel weak and tired as i have described.

Is ther a test i can do to see if i have Lactic Acidosis? or because my fitness now seem to be contolling my BG levels should I stop taking the Metformin.

Regards

Jeff :

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Jeff.

There is a test which can be requested by your GP. It is called the Lactate Test or Lactic Acid Test.

When is it requested?

Venous or arterial lactate levels may be requested when a patient has symptoms of hypoxia such as shortness of breath, rapid breathing, paleness, sweating, feeling sick , muscle weakness, stomach pain, or coma. The test may be requested when a patient presents with what the doctor suspects is shock, heart attack, severe congestive heart failure, renal failure, or uncontrolled diabetes. The lactate test will be initially requested with other tests to help measure the patient’s condition and then, if significantly elevated, at intervals to monitor the condition.

So, if you want this tested - see your GP.

Ken.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Lizives.

I have no idea. Please ask your GP if concerned.

Ken.

jeffs6013

Thanks Ken

I don't think I quite fall into that serious bracket just yet.I will monitor myself after my Met and see how it goes. If I develop any of the other symptons then i will see the Doc.
Regards
JEFF

Porter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Hello

I am currently on Metformin 3 times per day. After my lunchtime or evening tablet, I am having episodes of complete muscle weakness and unable to talk. It usually lasts for 1/2 hour. One episode lasted that long I was taken to Hospital. I suffered convulsions or major tremors, felt extremely cold. My Doctor does not listen to me when I explain that it could be lactic acidosis. Though she is looking at alternative tablets.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Doctors don't like patients yo knw anything about their
condition.