Does anyone have severe mood swing could it poss be Lantus causing the mood changes

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi'

I'm on Lantus. Passive when low. Can be a little edgy when high...? (Nothing worse than that. I wouldn't put it down to the Lantus.)

Though I'm not disputing any idea the lantus is the cause. I would suggest extreme blood swings would be more a common factor in compounding a bad mood..

Reactions: 2 people

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on lantus and levemir for the first 3 years after being diagnosed. Terrible side effects e.g. drugged up feelings, extreme tiredness, walking became a shuffle but not pains in legs or arms or mood swings. Consultant REFUSED to believe that lantus or levemir was the problem even after I used my daughter's Insulatard and the BAD SYMPTOMS went. He wouldn't let me try another insulin until I complained to PAL. If in doubt with any insulin keep pressing to change it.
I use Lantus.
An intermittent "drugged up feeling" sounds familiar. I also find that it takes me a lot longer to recover from a moderately busy day than I think it should.
Whether the Lantus is responsible I don't know..

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I'm on insuman basal, only bad mood swings i get are with low blood sugar and with insufficient sleep. Otherwise the basal doesn't appear to influence my moods.

bhk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have mood swings when I have high blood sugar readings for more than 1 hour, the best solution I found was to take extra insulin... Maybe it is the sugar level that causes your mood swings independently, not the lantus?

garfield0610

Lantus definitely does have an effect on mood, I was on quite a high dose and I was always angry, I dropped it by half and now my moods are much better though I still have major rage going on inside a lot of the time, just easier to control on lower dose. Think its a combination of diabetes and Lantus!

nicdavcamb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been a T1D for 13yrs my control has its highs and lows but the thing that worrys me most is how fast my moods can change could it be the Lantus thats causing this?
I have been on Lantus for past 15 plus years after coming off human type, Was told that this change was because of the fact that Lantus and soluble combination was purer and therefore would be more beneficial. I have never thought about mood swings but yes could be the Lantus, but there again could be just the fact that I am diabetic type one which I have had for over 59 years. Ups and downs yeah i think most have that, if they are truthful. But its something I will ask my doctors about, but do not hold out any hope of them concurring to Lantus being a mind altering insulin.

Della82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Guys, this this is my first time on the forum & my reason for joining the forum is this thread... I am experiencing "Mood Swing" hell at the moment. I've had Type 1 Diabetes for almost 6 years (Diagnosed on my 27th Birthday). Since the diagnosis I have always suffered with mood swings & even depression (I have only just made the link). The mood swings & depression have caused me to lose friends, upset my family, a relationship breakup & even two job resignations.
Four moths ago I met a lovely man, someone who really cares about me & is helping me come to terms with my Diabetes (I now realise I never have). He is researching, encouraging me to keep a food & exercise diary & reminds me to test even when we're not together. The problem is the mood swings, they are taking their toll on our relationship. He understands, he doesn't fight back but he wants me to recognise what I'm doing. I do see it but I'm already "seeing red" & I can't stop myself... I'm so horrible to him; I tell him I want to end our relationship & that I should be on my own because I'm incapable of making someone happy.
I can't continue like this any longer; I am not living my life because of Diabetes & because of these mood swings.
I'm sure you will all advice I see my DSN or GP; I have an appointment on Wednesday however it's reassuring to hear I'm not the only one suffering with these problems (I truly thought there was something wrong with me).
N.B I'm on Novorapid & levemir and have been since diagnosis.

CDM9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on novo rapid and lantus for 17 years, never get mood swings .... Not sure re evidence base that insulin causes mood swings per se, but hypos and peoples struggles with the condition perhaps? Suppose I've been very lucky but I am a very positive person and tend to just get on with it without stopping to think about it too much.

Ilana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been a T1D for 13yrs my control has its highs and lows but the thing that worrys me most is how fast my moods can change could it be the Lantus thats causing this?
It could just be the general stress that is causing your mood swings, not the lantus in particular. Why, do you feel particularly moody just after you have taken the lantus?

Bradsparky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had mood swings for over thirty years and been diabetic type 1 for 39 years.
I'm not on Lantus but I am on Levemir and Novarapid.
It has cost me a marriage and untold jobs.
I've found that high blood sugars cause the most anger but I can have a tremendous frustration inside for no reason whatsoever.
(Even if bloods are fine) I used to think it was just me as a person independent of the diabetes that was just slightly unhinged ;o) The more diabetics I speak to the more I have found that it is quite common to be irritable and have mood swings.
Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be recognised as a diabetic induced symptom by the medical profession and I was put on antidepressants by my GP. Came off them swiftly and now try to recognise when I'm biting someones head off and count to ten.

fred1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I get terrible mood swings when b.s. swing from high to low for low to high. Bleeding nightmare!!!! Hate it. Feel as if I'm not me anymore

Davey208

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just an update i found the problem with my anger i was changing my Lantus injections to the mornings when i was on nights and back to nights when i worked days it was that causing my mood swings so my "monster" has been put to bed i seem to be happier now hardly get foul mood swings anymore