Honeymoon Period

poacher_joe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

I hope you are well.

I have been t1 for 38 days now and am on MDI, using Lantus and Humalog. This system has worked well for my first 30 days but the last week or so my bloods have dropped low 3 or 4 times during the day. My original carb counting was 10g - 1 unit whereas now I can east between 25-35g - 1 unit dependant on exercise. My Lantus started at 20 and has now dropped to 14.

Even with the increase in carbs to unit ratio I still have hypos between meals!

Has anyone experienced this? How did you combat the over effectiveness of the insulin?

Also does the bg become easier to manage - if so what time period may this be over.

Thanks for reading :)

Joe

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm on Lantus and Novorapid and have been T1 for a year and a half. When I first started they said to take the Lantus only then add Novorapid as an when. I have been up and down a few times with the injections. I think in the early days in is usual for your needs to drop once residual excess or glucose is gone. I know I dropped to 10 units of lantus then to 8 when I started running. So don't worry this is all normal.
What to do depends on how you eat. During the week I eat no more than 100g of carbs and need lantus alone. This allows me to know by baseline. Then at the weekends when I have cake or something I can test my Novorapid. Wish I could give you a magic answer but it really is a life of trial and error.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Joe,

I am also in the honeymoon period. You can see the amounts of insulin I am taking at the bottom of this post.

If you have hypos between meals, it could be down to your Lantus being too high (I actually started on Lantus before I switched to Levemir and would tske 6 units of Lantus per day). You should consult your doctor about this in any case.

I was told by my doctor that the honeymoon period can last weeks, months or years. I think the older you are, the longer it could last. Also, it can be extended by taking insulin rather than not taking it.

And yes, BG is much easier to control in the honeymoon period. What a shame it cannot last forever...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're going low, try to figure out whether it's a basal low (more than five hours after a meal) or a bolus low (within 3 to 4 hours of eating). Test before eating, meal +1hr, meal +2hr, meal +3 hr, and then every hr till bedtime? Try that every second day, or for two days. Look at your figures, then see what you find. It's probably the basal. Whatever it is, you can adjust, and things will improve.