First post, diabetic for 10 years a few minor questions.

bmtest

With regards to Holsten Pils at present it may be the case but as Diabetics we must have factual data which is missing on the labels.

It was a fact Holsten Diat Pils was stamped on the tin recommended for Diabetics and the carb content was given. It's taste in the early 80's set it apart from anything out there it was very very dry, today every lager to me is sweet and there is very little to tell them apart.

If you were to drink any of today's lagers with a stable static Blood sugar of 7 it will only go one way and that is up if you are a Diabetic and that is a fact.

After the brewing process has finished who knows what they throw in to improve the taste I worked on the conversion or Sam Smiths brewery in tadcaster so I know a bit about the process and how it has been sped up over the years to cater for volume. You have to ask people on the street it's high strength and easy to gulp down today and you cannot do that with dry lagers of old.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
bmtest said:
If you were to drink any of today's lagers with a stable static Blood sugar of 7 it will only go one way and that is up if you are a Diabetic and that is a fact.

Fact? Yes but not the whole truth, yes it will initially raise bg levels but as soon as your liver is full of alcohol it will stop producing and releasing glucose into your blood until it has processed the alcohol and this will cause your bg levels to drop and if you are on Insulin you could well have a hypo in the middle of the night as a result of drinking too much the evening before. This is why it is advisable to eat some carbs on your way home after drinking alcohol :)

bmtest

Thanks for the technical and well done on your Hb of 5.4.

Practical Info
I tested last night after the 1st Holsten result 4.3 after the 2nd 5.6, then of to bed and in the morning test 4.6. If I had drank any other lager it would have been a different story using my old BDA Countdown book a 440ml of Stella would have had a CHO off 11 & Skol 21 John Courage Pale Ale 16 & Guinness Draught Stout 18 per pint.

I have never been given in the 30years I have had diabetes my Hb but I will look into it as I am curious. I tend to input my test figures into my TI82 graphic Calc to get a line of best fit it's old fashioned but works for me.

Serial45

timo2 said:
18 units, around 12 hours apart should do the trick, Serial45. Give it a couple of days to even out properly and then, if needs be, your AM/PM doses can be adjusted to suit.

Splitting the dose like this will make absorption less random and give a much better spread of background insulin throughout the day.

Good luck,
timo.

Hi Timo,
I have tried this for the past 3 days, I have on average been waking up with pretty high levels (around 8-9 mmol). I have also increased the dose to arose 40 (20 split both ways).

Having awoke at 7am with a level of 9.2 I decided to put my slow upto 25mmol for morning dose. Just waiting to see how this reacts.

No carbs at all after 7pm either, I went to bed with a glucose level of 8.2 assuming they would drop overnight, after injecting my levirmir 4 hours previous to sleep.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi Serial45,

A rise in total dose is not entirely unexpected after splitting Levemir. Hopefully you're not too far off from getting it bang on. 8)

Once your basal is sorted, your mealtime rapid doses may also need tweeking (your insulin/carb ratios will tend to become more uniform throughout the day).

Regards,
timo.