Confused! Is my doctors diagnosis correct?

starana

Hi, I am new to the forum and hope that someone can offer advice as I am really confused.
This is quite a long running saga so apologies in advance for the length of the post.

The first time diabetes was mentioned to me was during pregnancy, 20 years ago, as several morning samples showed high BS. I had a glucose tolerance test and it was fine, doctor didn't explain why but said I just had slightly elevated levels in the morning and it was nothing to worry about.
Over the years, due to another illness, I have had numerous BS level tests as being overweight, every doctor or nurse I encounter assumes I must be diabetic. Weight is due to my other illness and I eat very healthily. Tests always showed levels of 4-5 (morning) or 6-7 (daytime), they were never high.

Last year I was sent to see a new consultant as my blood pressure was high. He prescribed medication for my blood pressure and made a follow up appointment, I had fasted all morning and by 2pm I asked if bloods would be taken and the nurse said no and brought me some tea and toast, I also had some fresh orange juice whereupon the doctor decided to do bloods even though I pointed out that I had now eaten. at the next appointment I seen a locum doctor who informed me that my doctor had prescribed medication for high cholesterol and aspirin, the locum also told me that my liver function levels were not right and I informed her that I believed it was due to the medication for my other illness as it is a known side effect. She then asked about my weight and I again told her it was connected to my other illness and that my diet was as healthy as it could ever be. Then she decided I may have polycystic ovaries as that would explain the weight issue (regardless of the fact that I have four children!) and because of this, after consulting with the doctor, she prescribed metformin.
Upon returning home I discovered that the cholesterol tablets where under no circumstances to be taken by anyone with possible liver problems and as I have never in my life had a high cholesterol level I phoned my consultant and had an extremely heated conversation with him. This resulted in him admitting I shouldn't have been prescribed the tablets and he had only prescribed them as a precautionary measure, as such I was told not to take them.
My next visit was scheduled for three months. I informed him the metformin made me sick and I wished to stop taking them. He told me I was diabetic and had to take them, this was news to me. I explained why the Australian locum prescribed them; it wasn't because I was diabetic. he looked through my file and pointed out that the blood test at the first consultation was high, I explained that I had been given toast, tea and orange juice before the test and that was why it was high, he then said that the tests my doctor had done (pre metformin) were high and the one he had taken that morning was also high. These ranged between 4.3-5.1. Explaining that I thought either side of 5 was perfectly normal he disagreed and said new guidelines had been brought in and that 3 was now the normal level and as I was clearly outside of this I had to take the metformin and he then increased the dose to 850mg twice a day.

That was over six months ago and I have felt sick more times than not. A fortnight I stopped the metformin left it a week and bought a BS testing kit. My morning levels are 6-6.1, 90 minutes after eating they are 7.9-8.2 and between meals they average 7. The first thing that confuses me is the morning level, in 20 years of having fasting BS tests it has never been over 5.6, could the metformin have caused this? Secondly, from researching online, I think my daytime levels are fine and as I have no other symptoms of diabetes am I diabetic? I have no faith in this doctor whatsoever and don't know where I go from here!

I hope someone can help.
Thanks

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
There is only 1 definitive diagnostic test for diabetes, which is the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test. OGTT Nothing else is valid oficially Without one of those and with the numbers you give, I can't see where the doctor has been able to diagnose diabetes. Nevertheless, You might find you get the numbers down to the ideal if you reduce your carb intake.( around or just below 5 is correct. Where did the doctor get 3? Many people on this forum would call that a hypo.)
I must advise you to see another doctor about an OGTT to get this cleared up.I'm not medically qualified, so can't diagnose, but I know about diabetes and can apply logic

starana

Thanks for your reply.
A nurse at the hospital put through a request for a Glucose tolerance test but when I inquired about it at a later appointment the doctor said I was diabetic and would just have to accept it and that he didn't know anything about the request. Unless I go privately there isn't another consultant!
Will try reducing my cards as though I dont eat much white bread I do eat a lot of pasta.

Romola

starana - I have had no symptoms either. I was picked up on a routine blood test, which was followed up by a glucose tolerance test which confirmed it.

It does sound as if you need a review of what is going on, as it is far from clear.

Do you have a good GP or practice nurse who would take the time to go through all the results and decisions with you? This would be a good use of their time, as they are supposed to be encouraging us to take responsiblity for what control we can manage.

In the mean time, it will do no harm to eat as if you do have diabetes, and cut right down on the high GI carbs, and get what exercise you can most days.

Good luck

haptagud

I live in Spain at the moment and I was diagnosed without the OGTT. However, I was regularly reading 11/12 BG levels 2 hours after eating or exercise. Which seemed enough for my GP and endocrinologist. But as hanadr said with the numbers you gave and without the OGTT I'm not sure where your doc saw diabetes.

lesleyr284

starana,
I sympathise with your confusion and would agree with others here that you should insist on clarification. Can you see a different doctor at your practice and explain that you would like an OGTT or at least some clarification.
I believe the only way to deal with any health issue to have control and that starts at the GP. When I was told it was about time I went on metformin, I got my HbA1c down to 5.8 and stunned the doc into silence. Do not let your health run away with you, take control and demand answers you can understand. I take it you are seeing a hospital consultant for a different issue and not diabetes?
I would go back to your GP and remember they are there to help you (even if sometimes that is very hard to believe!).
I can't tell you how many times doctors have tried to prescribe antibiotics that I'm allergic to! It's in the notes so why on earth they can't read it is beyond me!
It took 2 years for me to be properly diagnosed. 1st Doc handed me a meter and told me to check my bloods once or twice a week. a while later I saw a different doc to get more test strips. She was stunned I had a meter and said I'd had no actual diagnosis so wasn't officially diabetic.
If I only knew then what I know now... :roll:
Ask for clear answers. It's your health not theirs.
Good luck!