Sitagliptin

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Apparantly this is a new medication out that should help bring your HBA1C down. Has anyone heard of it or is anyone on it?

Metformin gave me bad side effects and my sisters consultant recommended this one. But she lives in a different PCT to me and I have never heard of it.

thanks

Claire

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Sarah

I have had a look at a few sites (very poor english on that link) and it sounds ok, but I was really hoping someone may have some personal experience, as that tends to be more helpful that the companies information.

My sisters consultant did say that it was new over here though, so maybe not well known yet.

Claire

martinbuchan

Sitagliptin ~(and vidagliptin) work in a way similar to Byetta. These drugs do not have the same weight loss associated with Byetta. They are taken once a day as an oral tablet.

Sitagliptin on its own is as effective as sulphonureas or metformin. But taken together it seems to be even more effective.

As I am on insulin I do no fit the SMC/NICE guidlines. But today I seem to brought my diabetologist a step closer to prescribing it (I want it as an insulin sparer). My HBA1c is 6.0% last week but I am on 160-170 units of insulin per day. There is little data on use with type 2s taking insulin.

sitagliptin is cheaper than byetta, and although may not have every benefit of byetta, it does not have all the drawbacks( injections, keeping it cool, reflux, nausea).