Type 1 frio bag

amoniz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys

I am going away to a very HOT country in a months time and this will be my first time since I got diagnosed.
I wanted to ask if anyone has used a frio bag?? I have been wanting to buy one but I dont know which one is best I got a couple of insulins to store and I am a bit confused about this. Can someone help me please?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was in Spain last week with temps up to 43°C. I have a single and a duo pen wallet. I keep my bolus pen in the single and my basal pen with a couple of spare carts in the duo. Highly recommended.

Reactions: 2 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used them when I travelled through Asia. I bought two ( cant tell you the size but they were around £18 each). It allowed me to put around 10 pens in each bag.
The bags are good but its not a fridge. If youre are going to travel for more than 4- 5 weeks maybe you will have to check where/how to buy insulin, just in case it wont last long

amoniz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you guys for the response that really helps a lot. It's just its my first time and I am trying to organise everything. What to take. How many to take. I'm going for two weeks. I just feel like I am all over the place.

arrabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic!!!!
I go on holiday as often as possible so have used mine a lot. I bought two of the wallets & I can fit two pens in each. I highly recommend them, they do the job well, they're easy to use and not cumbersome or too big plus they last about 45hrs before having to be 're - soaked'.

fozzie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
[
Hi Guys

I am going away to a very HOT country in a months time and this will be my first time since I got diagnosed.
I wanted to ask if anyone has used a frio bag?? I have been wanting to buy one but I dont know which one is best I got a couple of insulins to store and I am a bit confused about this. Can someone help me please?

I used one when I went to Jamaica last year and found it very good and easy to "re-charge". I got the duo wallet which just about squeezed two pen injectors in. Because of the gel that expands in part of the wallet it can be a snug fit so I would say if in doubt go for a slightly larger size ☺

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone's Frio smell a bit? X
I got a bit of fungus on one of mine... I kept it in a poorly ventilated place for a while. So whenever I use it, it can smell a bit :D I'm trying a bit of cleaning with alcohol to see if it will help.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

No not noticed a smell, maybe you've not allowed the wallet to dry out before putting back in to the outer cover.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, this did happen to my Frio, not sure why, probably got left in the bottom of a bag, no air circulating. I washed it in warm soapy water, and left it to dry on airing cupboard slats, and it 'recovered', and was ready for re-use.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When I've done long term travelling, I've always done it with reusable pens and cartridges as they are easier to transport. I take a small thermos flask that can hold 20 cartridges and fill it with cold water and add one or two ice cubes. It takes the temperature down to insulin storage temperatures, but doesn't freeze. I've found that insulin will last about two months comfortably like this.

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Can I get one of these from boots or any large chemist ?

some chemists do them such as Lloyds but best to look at their web site as can get cheaper prices.
It is important if in some countries like Egypt to use bottles water as the water is so impure or it will breed unhealthy bugs and need to be thrown but bottles water means it remains good for future use.

TanyaEmily

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Just one more thing. When you stop overnight take your insulin to fridge without the cooling pouch (it is mentioned in the instructions). In spain most pharmacies can order you insulin for the following day if something happens. They speak english quite well in touristic areas. Have a great time ans do not forget your NHS IHIC card.