What are your alcohol rules?

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
There's quite an interesting thread over in the LC section, but as I'm not supposed to post there, I have to resort to fiendishly copying the subject line and leaving the rest to chance. A cunning plan as Baldrick might suggest...

Some of my worst hypos have followed a night out (or in) on the lash, so I'm definitely aware of the catalytic effect of alcohol on insulin. At first I thought it might be something to do with getting older, but I don't think so - I'm only 41...

I've never had to really deal with the carb factor of alcoholic drinks as I don't like beer or lager, and stick mainly to white wine and vodka, but not together obviously. However it's a very fine line to tread and I think I'm still learning. The one advantage of not eliminating carbs from the diet is there's at least something there to soak up some of the excesses?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Keg.

I like cunning plans......... :twisted:

Ken.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I don't drink a lot nowadays, used to years back when I was a yoof
bottle.gif

But now especially since D-Day I just have a glass or two of wine with a meal or an occasional Jack Daniels after. I have been led to believe that I don't need to factor in alcohol when estimating my Insulin as it will raise my BG level initially but then stop my liver releasing glucose which in turn will tend to drop my BG level.

The couple of times I have been out socially
cheers.gif
I ensure that I eat some carbs whilst out, a packet of crisps etc.

I have read that if out on the lash
drunk.gif
, as Kegs puts it, it is a good idea to eat something low GI on your way home, like a slice of Pizza which will have a long lasting effect to save having a nightime hypo

Cheers

mullaneder

Dislikes
bullies, bad drivers ,recession,
I have given up drink altogether.I havent been a heavy drinker since i was nineteen.As i dont like the taste of beer or lager the only drinks i liked were the alchopops.Then after a lot of verbal abuse and name calling from my pals who used to question my sexuality and refused to stand next to me if i was drinking a bicardi breezer i changed to vodka and a mixer.I would only drink at special occasions which were few and far between, but i was finding that it was getting harder and harder to get drunk,and also a hell of a lot more expensive as drink prices are absolutely rediculous in ireland.So when it reached the stage that i would drink about fourteen vodkas and still not even get a buzz out of it, then i just didnt bother any more.Then my drink of choice became lucozade,when i think of the stress i was putting on my body trying to cope with that much sugar.When i got diabetes and heard that drinking that much alcohol would be dangerous i am wondering if i will ever get drunk again or even tipsy.The only thing that is different is my weight,i have gone from eighteen and a half stone to fourteen stone three so maybe it would take less alcohol to get merry.
thanks for reading dermot

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Make it good.

I have a strangly large collection of single malts for a 24 year old woman, but what can i say. I like it.

I tend to drink spirits, usually with a dash of full fat whatever in them.
Midori and lemonade is an absolutely gorgeous summer drink.

No answers on beer/wine etc, as i never drink them.

I have a decent meal before i go out, then usually a spirit & mixer, then just mixer(diet).
A couple of packets of peanuts and i've never really had a problem.

Sweet3x

heh, seems to be a running theme so far. I don't drink a lot - my boyf always looks after me though, if we go out and I do have a little too much. I tend to drink white russians, so there isn't any problem with lack of carbs, and if anything, it's usually too much! I'm also lucky that my local barman (who makes the best WR) is also a good friend of mine, and makes sure I'm ok before letting me drink too much :)

At home, my boyf and I will often drink a bottle of wine with our meal.

As far as I know, I've never had any affects to my diabetes or as a result of having diabetes, and drinking :)

bunty

I bought a bottle of red martini stuff - i think it's called Vermouth - and a bottle of sugar-free lemonade.

This week after dinner i have a long cold drink made with maybe an inch/two inches of the red vermouth and topped with the lemonade and it's scrummy.

I havent tested my bg on it yet though!

bunty

lionrampant

No Guinness. That's my rule. :eek:

Seriously though, my only rule is try and stick to spirits if you're in for the long haul - less chance of high blood sugars; Equally though, drink American Beer if you're trying to avoid getting too legless, with the caveat of doing more fingersticks.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I rarely drink alcohol, just an occasional glass of wine or a small cherry brandy with diet lemonade.
I've always thought why waste money on alcohol when you can achieve the same effect with a little extra insulin.... on the NHS :wink:

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Because alcohol tastes nice :D
Midori and lemonade is just about my favourite summer drink.
It's a pleasure, so why not?

alunhove

I had been a fairly minimal drinker before diagnosis anyway. The only thing that has changed is that instead of having 3 or 4 halves of lager shandy on the couple of times a year I meet some former work colleagues I tend to have halves of lager in order to avoid the sugar in the lemonade as I dislike the taste of the sweeteners in the "no added sugar" soft drinks (at home I almost exclusively drink just sparkling mineral water)

Alun

Helenwales.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
many things depression is awfull,I wish there were more support with Diabetes in my area would love to meet people and talk about the condition ... I get along .
I am 45 and in my 30s early 40s I used to drink a lot,Sundays was a day for meeting with mates watching a band and getting sozzled,I used to drink about 8 pints lager maybe a few Vodkas on top,used to love those days,I was just on Metforming 850mg 3 times a day and Gliclazide 80mg 2x twice a day.

The last 2 years I have cut my drinking down a lot infact I now rarely drink at all only if there is a Birthday,then it is only 1 Glass wine or Glass Lager,it's not part of my life any more as I started injecting Insulin GLargine slow release since then I can not drink after 2/3 I feel realy ill so if I am out now I automaticaly order Water or Diet coke I feel so much better and NO Hangovers also at £3.00 a pint nearly saves me money.
I do miss my binge drinking days on times but my health comes first these days I was in Denial for 7 years and only now I am starting to take my diabetes serious :)

jaykay

I drink more now than before being diagnosed! Not too much mind but if we go out to the pub I can never find anything to drink. Most of them do diet coke at a push but I don't like it :( The other night after a curry with friends, the pub they chose didn't even have diet coke so I ended up drinking water. Oooh yummy! :roll: I'd had a couple of red wines with the curry so I felt I didn't have anything else to choose.

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
re what about when alcohol rules.
at the age of 14 i was 5'10 and built like a brick s/house. I quickly realized that i could get served in the off license and pubs. I have an older brother and he couldnt get served so i used to get him his cans :lol: . Anyway i started drinking in pubs on a friday night (i had a saturday job that paid me well for my age.) As you can probably imagine i learned a thing or two at that age but i wish i had'nt . I got hooked on drinking and i mean drinking by the time i was 15 i could drink 15 pints of lager easily. All my mates at school were still drinking cheap cider on parks i was getting in to nightclubs .
(3 yrs later) i was working on building sites and it was a ritual to go to the pub after work every night. (It seemed great at the time :roll: )However technicly i was a fully fledged seasoned drinker (i was now drinking 20 pints a night and brandy was my choice of shorts) And still going to work (sometimes i hadnt even slept). I suppose the reason i'm telling this is i want the younger members of the forum to understand what power drinking (binge) seems absolutly brilliant when we are young .I once took on a bet to drink 66 pints of scotch bitter .I wasn't aloud to sleep or eat until i finished the bet! i walked in this paticular pub on a friday night and walked back out 6am monday morning .I drank the bet and won the money how (expletive deleted) stupid looking back(talk about male bravado) :oops:
I'm now 36 it took me to be diagnosed diabetic to stop pi***ng my life away .Don't get me wrong it never interupted my work ,the problem is i had a fall on holiday and i'm now waiting for an operation to my spine .I have put 4stone on since that fall and am dieting to lose it (due to being diagnosed type 2 ) we lost our home threw the fact i could'nt work anymore and my wife has had to go to work fulltime to support us .I feel like a (expletives deleted) for that so if even 1 person gets what i'm saying and it helps them .This is not a bull***t story .
It's the real deal if anyone reading this has felt the pier pressure off anyone to be binging (DONT WAISTE YOUR LIFE) Thanks for reading this any?'s just ask :oops:

mtr01

My rules are good for me..Always spirits,always doubles/triples,stop when bottle is empty,drink with best looking barmaid {wife}, and always enjoy yourself. :D

anniep

The only alcohol I sem to be able to drink is red wine. Though i have never tested the shorts much as I am not that keen. But red wine has no adverse effects and possibly a good one on my BG.

BPM

Dislikes
An irrational hatred of Tottenham Hotspurs ;)
I have not touched a drop of alcohol since being diagnosed, and feel better for it.

liklejojo

I think as long as your sensible about it your allowed a little indulgence, I tend to eat a lot when I do drink though - mostly to combat the hypo i'll be expecting in the middle of the night, fortunately McCoy's crisps are my alcoholic hypo prevention saviour heehee :)