Have these been hypos? Or could it be the Metformin?

Ailidh

Or could the 2 be linked?
I know it's hard to judge on the basis of a post!

I was diagnosed T2 in mid-June. The fortnight until I saw the DN felt like forever, and I was very anxious. Thankyou to people who replied to me then.

I've been referred to the podiatrist - appointment Aug 3rd.
I've been referred to the diebetic dietician - but had a letter on Friday saying the post was vacant, so I couldn't have an appointment.
I have my 2nd DN appointment tomorrow morning.

Was put on Metformin 500mg for a week, then 2 x 500mg but the diarrhoea was so severe that the DN advised me by phone to stop all together for a week, then try again. It was already switched to SR at the end of the first week.
During that week, I was on clarithromycin for a toe infection. It didn't seem nearly as bad as most people seem to find it.

I gave myself a couple of days at the end of the course before restarting the Metformin. On the 2nd day, I was completely overwhelmed by hopelessness and tearfulness - not something I'm much given to. It subsided after lunch. That was Friday.
Saturday wasn't bad at all, mood-wise. I re-started the Metformin.
Sunday afternoon, I again was overwhelmed and tearful. I find it hard to eat on Metformin, I feel permanently full, but I had a guest so pulled myself together and made a simple meal. An hour later, I was human again.

I usually have a pre-bed snack of oatcakes with a little cheese, and a small glass of milk if I wake in the night. Last night guest and I went to bed early and watched a film, and I fell asleep without snack or precautionary milk. This morning I discovered I'd only eaten 900/1200 calories the day before, and woke with a headache and tears again. Breakfast (scrambled eggs) didn't help much but, after a roast beef and salad on Burgen soy and linseed bread sandwich for lunch, I feel human again.

I understand about anxiety following diagnosis.
I also have anxiety about returning to a post-chemo anxiety syndrome that I had in 2013.
but I do think this overwhelmed with tears thing is something new; and as it seems to lift with food, I'm wondering whether a hypo is a likely cause? And could it be that Metformin is adding to the low?

Thankyou.

C

catherinecherub

Metformin does not suit everybody and you may be one of those people where it dulls your appetite too much.

You cannot really know whether you are having a hypo unless you test your blood sugars so it is pointless to worry about it unless you have proof. Have you asked the DN to provide you with one?

Do you think the diabetes diagnosis is the last straw considering your past medical history? You might be exhibiting signs of depression, something that many newly diagnosed go though.

Ailidh

Thanks for replying. I'd have thought depression, except that the tearfulness seems to go after food.
I asked at my first DN appointment about self-testing.
I'll ask again tomorrow.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you hungry when it comes to mealtimes? How do you look on food these days?

I know I went through a phase when I felt a bit battle weary thinking what we were going to eat, rather than before when it all just seemed so much easier.

Ailidh

Thank you for replying. :)

AndBreathe: With Metformin, I'm not hungry at meal times, in fact, rather repulsed at the thought of having to eat.
Not on Metformin, I'm quite excited by meals. I'd already started losing weight just a few days before I was diagnosed (just decided it was time for the rest of my life, the diagnosis was a bolt from the blue). I've lost just short of 24lbs since June 1st. I have a long way to go (about another 76) but I'm happy and proud of the start I've made.

catinahat: Thankyou for that interesting information! It doesn't mention floods of tears but it doesn't seem beyond the bounds of reason that they could be a sign of false hypos too. OK, so I shouldn't have had the jellybabies (3) - but the tears have vanished an hour or so after food. I'm not quite understanding that connection.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for replying. :)

AndBreathe: With Metformin, I'm not hungry at meal times, in fact, rather repulsed at the thought of having to eat.
Not on Metformin, I'm quite excited by meals. I'd already started losing weight just a few days before I was diagnosed (just decided it was time for the rest of my life, the diagnosis was a bolt from the blue). I've lost just short of 24lbs since June 1st. I have a long way to go (about another 76) but I'm happy and proud of the start I've made.

catinahat: Thankyou for that interesting information! It doesn't mention floods of tears but it doesn't seem beyond the bounds of reason that they could be a sign of false hypos too. OK, so I shouldn't have had the jellybabies (3) - but the tears have vanished an hour or so after food. I'm not quite understanding that connection.

Do you know what your blood scores were at diagnosis?

You really should strongly consider self testing. You will get great, immediate feedback on how your body is doing, and confirmation (or otherwise) that the steps you are taking are taking you in the right direction.

Well done on the weight loss. That's a wonderful effort.

Ailidh

7.7%.
Thanks for the Well done!
I was quite surprised to be put on Metformin immediately, I thought I'd be encouraged to give diet and exercise a go first.
I'm definitely thinking about self-testing. I need more information first about what I could see and what it would tell me, or my anxiety will go into orbit!

ps, that was the HbA1C number...

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband (non diabetic) gets terribly terribly despondent (honestly - like the world is ending) if he hasn't eaten, but is completely unable to identify it as hunger. It might be as simple as that!

Ailidh

Thankyou, misswhiplash (great name). It could be that simple - only it's the first time in 60 years it's happened! :)

pileobunnies

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The floods of tears could also be the way you're reacting to being diagnosed with a chronic illness. You're still very early on in your diabetes journey, so you can expect odd feelings to flare up now and again.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on the weight loss. What type of diet did you chose to follow to loose the weight, it could be that you could control the diabetes and lose the weight by going for a low carb diet. If you have already gone low carb that might be responsible for some of what you are feeling. Some of us do go through what can best be described as flu like symptoms (with out the cold) when we first low carb, it normally lasts a week or two and then we start feeling so much better. Not knowing what you are eating means that I can't really make an opinion but just put it forward as a possibility.

I would also say that the best thing you could do would be to self test, if your DN won't give you a meter consider funding it yourself, the Codefree meter seems to be the cheapest option and is available through Amazon or from other online suppliers direct (sorry I can't remember the name, I get mine through Amazon). You will get plenty of advise about testing here if you do decide to get one.

When my BS is either high or low it effects my mood, and having tested at those times I now know what moods come with what levels (tired, drowsy, can't concentrate when high, irritable, can't concentrate, shaky and irrational when low) so the depression might be a sign of low blood sugar but the only way is to test, it might also be a false hypo if your body is used to your BS being higher than is normal. When I first started testing I could have what felt like a hypo with a blood sugar in the mid 5s which is an almost perfect level, I then knew it was just a case of teaching my body that that was a normal level.

If you really find you can't manage Metformin there are other options out there and with effort you might find that you can control this with diet alone. April last year I had an HBA1C of 71 (sorry I don't know what that is in %) and my Metformin was increased to 4 tablets a day, the maximum dose. That was when I decided to take control, with self testing and reducing my carb intake I reduced it to 44 (I think the doctor said 6.6% can someone correct me if my hearing wasn't working) at the last lest at the start of this month and the Metformin is now down to 2 tablets a day. Look at the other success stories on this forum and the food threads to give you ideas of what to eat. Hopefully that will make you feel a bit better and realise that it is not a one way journey and you can control this condition yourself.

Ailidh

Thank you very much for the replies.

I saw DN for the 2nd time this morning, and she wants me to re-try Metformin, once a day, for a week and take it from there. She is definite that I need the medication to support my diet, although she's pleased with my loss.

I've been losing weight by a 1200 calorie diet, lower carbs but not Low carb. The DN was quite clear that lower carb is good, contrary to the advice that some people get from the nhs.

She hasn't encountered tearfulness caused by Metformin or cured by food before but has put me down to see the visiting diabetic consultant next week.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like you have a more forward thinking DN than some of us (although mines not bad as long as I dont' push things too far). Hopefully the Metformin will settle down or the consultant can help. Try keeping a food diary for the week and noting when you have emotional bouts in that as well as what you eat that makes you feel better, the more information you can go armed with the better and it might show a pattern if say the bout of depression follows times when you haven't had a lot to eat and all of it low carb say.

Hopefully within a few months you can show that your diabetes is fully under your control and come off the Metformin then.

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
Can I ask you when you are taking your metformin? To lessen side effects, you must take them with food, half way through a meal is even better for some.

Reactions: 2 people

Ailidh

I do take it half way through a meal, to be exact, 2/3 of the way through breakfast.
Today's been Day #2 of re-trying the 500mg SR. No runs so far, hurrah! although feel a bit more vaguely anxious today.

I saw the GP yesterday, to check the toe infection. He's never heard of the Galloping Weepies being cured by food either. Says many people are "emotionally labile" following diagnosis. I get that. I'd just been told by the oncologist that it was vanishingly unlikely that the lymphoma would return, settling down to enjoy the rest of my life, started a diet then Wham! T2 out of the blue. It's the "cured by food" connection I don't get. I mean, if I was fed up and eating a Mars bar, I could understand it. Who hasn't done that at some point in their lives? but it's not that, in fact it was episode 3 before I realized the mood/food connection. And, while I daren't comment on what I ate on May 31st (can't remember but I'm pretty sure I decided to have farewell to chocolate/icecream/Chinese food party), from June 1st I have not eaten a single chocolate/biscuit/cake/Chinese, haven't self-medicated with food at all.

However, the surgery is being visited by a diabetic consultant next week, and I have an appointment to see him. Both DN and GP say to ask him, and, believe me, I will!

Thankyou for all replies.

Suby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Or could the 2 be linked?
I know it's hard to judge on the basis of a post!

I was diagnosed T2 in mid-June. The fortnight until I saw the DN felt like forever, and I was very anxious. Thankyou to people who replied to me then.

I've been referred to the podiatrist - appointment Aug 3rd.
I've been referred to the diebetic dietician - but had a letter on Friday saying the post was vacant, so I couldn't have an appointment.
I have my 2nd DN appointment tomorrow morning.

Was put on Metformin 500mg for a week, then 2 x 500mg but the diarrhoea was so severe that the DN advised me by phone to stop all together for a week, then try again. It was already switched to SR at the end of the first week.
During that week, I was on clarithromycin for a toe infection. It didn't seem nearly as bad as most people seem to find it.

I gave myself a couple of days at the end of the course before restarting the Metformin. On the 2nd day, I was completely overwhelmed by hopelessness and tearfulness - not something I'm much given to. It subsided after lunch. That was Friday.
Saturday wasn't bad at all, mood-wise. I re-started the Metformin.
Sunday afternoon, I again was overwhelmed and tearful. I find it hard to eat on Metformin, I feel permanently full, but I had a guest so pulled myself together and made a simple meal. An hour later, I was human again.

I usually have a pre-bed snack of oatcakes with a little cheese, and a small glass of milk if I wake in the night. Last night guest and I went to bed early and watched a film, and I fell asleep without snack or precautionary milk. This morning I discovered I'd only eaten 900/1200 calories the day before, and woke with a headache and tears again. Breakfast (scrambled eggs) didn't help much but, after a roast beef and salad on Burgen soy and linseed bread sandwich for lunch, I feel human again.

I understand about anxiety following diagnosis.
I also have anxiety about returning to a post-chemo anxiety syndrome that I had in 2013.
but I do think this overwhelmed with tears thing is something new; and as it seems to lift with food, I'm wondering whether a hypo is a likely cause? And could it be that Metformin is adding to the low?

Thankyou.

Hello,

I was diagnosed pre diabetic last August. In March this year my Bgs suddenly became very high at over 30mmol. My blood tests were 83 (11.5%) I think. I took metformin at 500mg x 2 twice a day. 2 weeks later I was given glyclazide twice a day. I am now on 4 metformin , 1 glyclazide and 10 units of long lasting insulin daily.

I understand when you say the metformin upsets your tummy. I was warned of this and tolerated it for a good while. After 2 weeks my tummy settled and all is fine now. Bare with it for a while if you can. In my case, I didn't realise at first that while trying to change my eating habits, I had also forgotten to keep drinking. I drink only water or sugar free weak cordial anyway, but it's important to keep drinking plenty, especially if your tummy is a little upset.

As for the crying fits, I had these also, thought I had gone s little soft in my old age ! Mine are directly linked to food also. While I don't get very hungry nowadays, I have to nibble something every couple of hours to keep them at bay. It is still an ongoing process learning to change my eating habits to suit my health and it's not easy. The easiest way that is working just now is eating 6 small meals a day. Low carb and no sugar. I'm overweight but have managed to lose a good chunk recently. In order to not overeat I use a tablespoon and i only eat what will fit on it at each mealtime. For example, a 2 round of bread ham sandwich will now do for 4 meals. I add fruit, apples and bananas in between and if I'm really craving for sweetness I will have a few strawberries for supper.

Well done on your weight loss, it certainly is. Challenge :)

Before you jump to the conclusion I have mastered this diabetes way of life, I won't fool anyone. While I know how to, and what to do, putting it into practice every day is not something I have learnt to do, and probably never will. I'm the first to confess, every now and then, as I have done for 50 years, will totally over indulge on takeaway, chocolate, crisps and everything in the shop that is bad for me ! I call these my naughty indoor lazy days, what goes on in the house on naughty days, stay in the house :)

I am sure you will find your way with your new diagnosis. You are a very strong person to go through what you have been through already :)

Good luck and let us know how you are getting on. Being a newbie also, anyone's advice is gratefully received :)

Take Care

Suby

Ailidh

Thanks, Suby, that was very helpful to read. Really, truly. It lifted my whole day. I can live with it, if I have to, that the Galloping Weepies are somehow related to blood sugar/food; it was getting really hard work to think I was being battered by Anxiety that I couldn't control.
Thanks again.

Exornitence

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Ailidh,

I am also a T2 newbie too diagnosed last month and have to take Metformin 3 times a day. Initially felt spaced out and had problems concentrating. It got better after 4 weeks. Its a struggle to know where to get information and what to do with your diabetes. I love this forum as it allow you to surf for shared experiences.

You need a GP consultation about your mood. Could be Metformin isn't the drug for you or you feel like you have low blood sugar when it isn't and eat too early. Either way you need a review.

Are you eating enough and following a low carbohydrate high fat diet? I use a phone App called 'My FitnessPal' that is free and helps monitor your intake, and nutrition (you could join their website if you don't have a mobile phone). Buy a blood glucose monitor as that's the only way you can tell how your diet affects your blood glucose - before and after meals. Its not expensive and you probably won't use it much once you get into the swing of a balanced diet.

Take it easy with the weight loss - well done by the way - as too much too soon isn't sustainable and the body needs to learn to catch up. Do it gradually and try not to miss meals/snacks.