Starting all over again. Newcastle diet.

sanjay230680

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Losing control and becoming fat and becoming diabetic
HI and good morning all.
I managed to shed 25KG from December 2013 through to September 2014, then it all went downhill.
Don't know if it was one thing that did it, but when the faith in your doc wither's because you don't get the praise you were expecting after going from 120KG down to just over 94KG, that when the docs originally put me on Metformin 1 twice a day and then next appointment following the rapid weight loss they say "we would like you to reduce the dose to 1 twice a day???!!!" you start questioning was it worth it.
I think first time I did it, it was a game (Barney Stinson: Challenge accepted!!).
This time round I am going to do it again but for me. Have to say however, since doing the Newcastle diet first time round my BG has stayed around 6-8 on a daily basis even when I stupidly indulged in sweet stuff. The docs have out it down to the meds, little do they know I reduced the dosage to 1 a day instead of 2.
Lets see if this time round I can stick to it in a regimental way and keep it off.

I know I should not but psychologically the praise keeps me going and when it goes away the feeling of being proud that I was capable dies as well.

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @sanjay230680 . I know exactly what you mean about praise and I understand the need and effect. I don't find dieting easy and it really is a daily battle , so praise is a necessary motivator. You are going to have to use this website as support and encouragement in lieu of your doctor. Good luck. :)

sanjay230680

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So day 1 is today.
So far started off with a 4.7 mile walk (I cannot run due to dodgy knees sustained carrying me for 35 years).
Then 1 litre of water and a Atkins advantage shake Vanilla Hmmm.
2 hours in I feel good.

Reactions: 4 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So day 1 is today.
So far started off with a 4.7 mile walk (I cannot run due to dodgy knees sustained carrying me for 35 years).
Then 1 litre of water and a Atkins advantage shake Vanilla Hmmm.
2 hours in I feel good.

Well done, keep it up. I know what you mean regarding praise for your efforts. I too don't have any. My husband refuses to eat what I have to eat. He now shops and cooks for himself and I do the same so it is a struggle to get neat the cooker. He uses high carb sauces for everthing so even when he cooks something that I could eat it is full of carbs. He then has a bag of donuts/bar of chocolate/ice cream sundae.

When I went out to lunch with my sister and there wasn't much on the menu I could eat she said "I don't know why you make such a fuss. I know loads of diabetics and they eat most things". When I pointed out that I would probably die of a stroke or heart attack and get all the other nasties if I didn't keep my diabetes under control she said "Why don't you just eat what you want and die sooner". Charming.

I now struggle on alone and eat what I know I have to eat although I do have days when I am not as good as I should be but knowing what will happen if I don't watch my diet carefully does make me stick to the diet most of the time.

Reactions: 6 people

sanjay230680

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you Arab Horse.
I know the feeling. My wife also tends to eat without me and if she does the foods are so highly calorific that it makes no sense to eat them.
Family don't really know what I am doing so not too bad, but my dad does tend to try to give me bad foods because they taste good more than anything else.

Its OK as Mo said this website we can use to support one another through this and beyond :)

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We can help each other, Sanjay, as we know how important it is for our long term health to keep our glucose levels normal. My son and daughter in law are good when we visit them as she always checks if what she is going to cook is OK for me. When I visited recently she did a curry (no high carb bought sauce that my husband insists on using) and I brought a large salad (enough for us all to have some) so I didn't have to have the rice. They all liked my salad so much (as I put lots of different things in it) that she asked if she could keep what was left. I did have a third of a nan bead and a little fruit salad and ice cream for desert, very naughty but it was only a little!

Reactions: 4 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do find it sad that your partners can't or won't support you. I'm lucky in that my partner does encourage me to keep on track. He does like chocolate and cakes which I buy for him and enjoy seeing him enjoy eating them. I fell off the wagon with my lchf diet 6 months ago and I restarted a week ago. I know it has to become a way of life. I do find it harder when I'm busy and moving about a lot as it is much easier to get high carb food on the go than it is low carb. Still I must think ahead. I have taken to carrying an individual cheese portion with me just in case. :)

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
I'm newly diagnosed, I'm 32 and have 3 little girls... And already 2 days in the arguments have started I'm apparently overreacting... But I'm stubborn hahaha I'm actually loving the new healthier lifestyle I been preparing for weeks for the diagnosis as the doctor couldn't make his mind up... Now I know am even more serious... I really want to control this by diet alone... It is hard watching the kids devour haribos though!!! I never was big on sweets but now I know it's bad I want them hahaha oh well onward and upwards... Good luck

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm newly diagnosed, I'm 32 and have 3 little girls... And already 2 days in the arguments have started I'm apparently overreacting... But I'm stubborn hahaha I'm actually loving the new healthier lifestyle I been preparing for weeks for the diagnosis as the doctor couldn't make his mind up... Now I know am even more serious... I really want to control this by diet alone... It is hard watching the kids devour haribos though!!! I never was big on sweets but now I know it's bad I want them hahaha oh well onward and upwards... Good luck
You have started the Newcastle diet as well? There are starting to become quite a few who have done it !

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
You have started the Newcastle diet as well? There are starting to become quite a few who have done it !

No I haven't actually seen the dietician yet, just all my own doing... I ran 5 marathons in 5 days only 2 Augusta ago so I am pretty good with my nutrition anyway but since then it's been a big blowout hahaha... Not any more right back on it and hard... The newcastle diet sounds an interesting prospect but not sure they will ask me to participate Im 93.7kg not sure they will see dramatic weight loss as a goal for me

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck on your journey. You proved you could do it before so go for it this time round. If you keep posting on your progress you should get some followers you inspire and get praise from.
I've done the ND twice now - first was June to December last year and then April to June this year. Total loss has been 5.9 stone (37.7kgs). My bloods are good and managing to keep weight steady on a low carb "healthy" diet.

Good luck

Jim

Reactions: 5 people

sanjay230680

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks all I'm overwhelmed with the well wishers.
Let's see how this goes.
Just had 100g beansprouts 75g cucumber, 150g carrots with knorr veg stock. Was tasty needed a bit of chilli though

sanjay230680

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 2
Good morning everybody.
So I woke up at 0615 this morning and surprisingly had more energy than I have had in the last few weeks.
Decided to change my walk today and purposely parked my car away from th home walked 2.5 miles and then 2.5 miles back to the car.
Albeit some soreness on the ball of my right foot it felt good.
So breakfast today has started with an Atkins Shake.
Lunch is an Atkins shake and a juice (juiced up 3 carrots, 2 tomatoes and 1 cucumber). Shocked myself that the combination in the juice amounts to 130 Cals and 29g of Carbs, I thought the diet aim to is to keep below 30g so unsure about this.

For dinner I am thinking I will make a mushroom curry and use some veg stock.

How is everybody today?

sanjay230680

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good luck on your journey. You proved you could do it before so go for it this time round. If you keep posting on your progress you should get some followers you inspire and get praise from.
I've done the ND twice now - first was June to December last year and then April to June this year. Total loss has been 5.9 stone (37.7kgs). My bloods are good and managing to keep weight steady on a low carb "healthy" diet.

Good luck

Jim

Thanks Jim and keep up the good work that is amazing my friend

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@sanjay230680 says "Lunch is an Atkins shake and a juice (juiced up 3 carrots, 2 tomatoes and 1 cucumber). Shocked myself that the combination in the juice amounts to 130 Cals and 29g of Carbs, I thought the diet aim to is to keep below 30g so unsure about this.For dinner I am thinking I will make a mushroom curry and use some veg stock. "

Carrots are high in carbs and it is far better to eat the veg whole rather than juice so you get the fibre; takes longer to digest and makes you feel fuller. Mushroom curry sounds good for dinner.

Well done, keep going.

sanjay230680

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Evening all. Today was an interesting day. Did my 5 miles in the morning and had my 2 shakes don't know what to have for dinner.
I am drinking 3 litres of water as per the rules but I swear I am expelling as much when I go to the bathroom.
How has everybody else been?
Weighed myself this morning 114.8kg (same time everyday) would love to get back to 94kg