Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cricket
The advice you should have received is:

Do a basal test.

With modern insulins, you don't get the same peak overnight in insulin operation, so snack before bed is normally unnecessary.

Basically, what you should do is set an alarm at two hour intervals overnight and check your bg levels overnight. I suspect that you'd find you remained mostly flat given the response to two rich tea biscuits.[/QU

newest

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cricket
okay, thanks for your input on this, much appreciated.

sp41700

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
b/s has improved immensely since adjusting timings on insulin, and lowering carbs, before bed last night my b/s was 7.8, dsn had said if levels are below 8 then to have 2 rich tea biscuits before I go bed which I did last night. b/s this morning were 12?? should I have had the 2 rich tea??

I think it has been mentioned in the posts above about fat. High fat evening meals are my real enemy. The fat gets released slowly overnight and the body turns it to glucose causing a high reading in the morning. Happened after I had fish and chips, absolutely yummy. Went to bed normal reading woke up high. Another day a yummy pork shank with crackling. Same sort of results as the fish and chips.

newest

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cricket
I think it has been mentioned in the posts above about fat. High fat evening meals are my real enemy. The fat gets released slowly overnight and the body turns it to glucose causing a high reading in the morning. Happened after I had fish and chips, absolutely yummy. Went to bed normal reading woke up high. Another day a yummy pork shank with crackling. Same sort of results as the fish and chips.
since finding this forum(approx. 1 wk ago) and asking for and receiving good advice my levels have really improved, I am so pleased, my last hba1c mon was 76, it had been 3 months ago 93, then went down to 80, now at 76, I now have light foods to eat not heavy starchy ones, which are just as satisfying especially when you see the results, ie lower levels, my bg last night before bed was 7.3, I didn't have the 2 rich tea biscuits before bed, bg this am 7.3, so happy, it really is making such a difference to how I am feeling.

Reactions: 8 people