back from seeing the diabetes nurse

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
So I've been freshly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes,its been nearly 3 weeks since escaping!!! from hospital.So I went to see the diabetes nurse yesterday to see how things have been going with my glucose levels and I explained to her about my going low quiet often through been very active and she explained to me that she thinks I'm in the honey moon period.So she suggested lowering my insulin to 4mg in the morning and at night and also she mentioned the amount of times I was checking my levels which is 8 times a day,what can I say I like to know where I'm at with things.

Diabetes nurse also said I'd be seeing a consultant and get the diabetes test to make sure I've type 1 which in learning about the different types I'm hoping that it is type 1 in all honesty,also when in hospital I asked for the celiac test which thankfully come back ok.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It will be useful to have the tests to try to confirm T1. It sounds like you are currently on a mixed insulin regime which people are sometimes started on. If you are a T1 then you should be moved to the Basal/Bolus regime with two insulins. This makes it much easier to control your blood sugar. Testing 8 times a day is probably too much but I guess you are worried about hypos; see if you can reduce the number of tests a little.

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
:) i m on the 2 a day the basal

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
As I've been diagnosed as type 1 in hospital where I was omitted for having all the typical symptoms of a type 1 but to make sure there doing bloods to make certain of it. meaning that there's a possibility of having both types,think its 1.5 or type 3 i think it is which means there's more complications involved,so yeah hoping its just type 1.

sp41700

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As I've been diagnosed as type 1 in hospital where I was omitted for having all the typical symptoms of a type 1 but to make sure there doing bloods to make certain of it. meaning that there's a possibility of having both types,think its 1.5 or type 3 i think it is which means there's more complications involved,so yeah hoping its just type 1.

I must admit I was surprised by the comment that you would rather be a T1. When I was diagnosed I definitely would not prefer to be a type 1.

I guess if I could choose I would pick a type 2 diet controlled. Then I would hit the newcastle diet and hope I was one of the ones who could be cured.

So a choice of T1 - no present cure, or T2 with a potential cure I would pick T2. :D

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I must admit I was surprised by the comment that you would rather be a T1. When I was diagnosed I definitely would not prefer to be a type 1.

I guess if I could choose I would pick a type 2 diet controlled. Then I would hit the newcastle diet and hope I was one of the ones who could be cured.

So a choice of T1 - no present cure, or T2 with a potential cure I would pick T2. :D

what 1 mean by saying that is that there's a possibility to having both which is worse than having just 1 type,obviously I'd prefer to not having any but possibly been diagnosed with both is a double whammy.

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
potential is a definition of hopefully, maybe possibly!!

sp41700

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was only pulling your leg. :D

You may already know that type 1 and type 2 are two very different conditions. Knowing what I now know about T1D, the symptoms for both are very similar and without the antibodies test I guess It is difficult to diagnose with any certainty.

As has been mentioned on these forums it is possible for long standing T1D's to develop T2D tendencies. But after being diagnosed for 18 days I wouldn't worry about that just yet :)

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was only pulling your leg. :D

You may already know that type 1 and type 2 are two very different conditions. Knowing what I now know about T1D, the symptoms for both are very similar and without the antibodies test I guess It is difficult to diagnose with any certainty.

As has been mentioned on these forums it is possible for long standing T1D's to develop T2D tendencies. But after being diagnosed for 18 days I wouldn't worry about that just yet :)

:) oo ok,have a good 1 bud

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Diabetes nurse also said I'd be seeing a consultant and get the diabetes test to make sure I've type 1 which in learning about the different types I'm hoping that it is type 1 in all honesty,also when in hospital I asked for the celiac test which thankfully come back ok.

I would personally hope for type 2 and gladly swap from T1 to T2 :) I was initially diagnosed with T2 and when I found out it could be controlled by exercise and diet I wasn't all that bothered. 3 Weeks later I got re-diagnosed with T1 and began injections , totally different.

encore1332

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not nice stuff
Would have to agree with wiserkurtious, I prefer being type 1 than type 2. Before talking to a diabetic nurse I cried thinking about all the changes in diet I expected I would have to do. I HATE cooking with avengence and as most type 2 who i know have it under control spend vast amount of time sorting there diet. Id rather have slightly smaller meals, carb count and inject myself than putting effort into cooking.

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I didn't say 1 wouldn't swap type 1 for type 2 i said there's a possibility of have both at the same time,I've always been active all my life so obviously type 2 would be the easier 1 for
I would personally hope for type 2 and gladly swap from T1 to T2 :) I was initially diagnosed with T2 and when I found out it could be controlled by exercise and diet I wasn't all that bothered. 3 Weeks later I got re-diagnosed with T1 and began injections , totally different.

I didn't say 1 wouldn't swap type 1 for type 2 i said there's a possibility of have both at the same time.so hoping that its only type 1 that I've been diagnosed with :)

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Wiserkurtious, I hope you're settling into things and that you are not getting overwhelmed by the changes to your routine! I just thought I would clarify a couple of things regarding diabetes types, in case you have not been given the full picture.

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune condition, and is what I have. Basically, it means that your body has decided that the cells producing insulin are a virus. Therefore, the immune system targets and destroys them. Why this happens is not understood. Without insulin producing cells, type 1 diabetics always require insulin injections. As you mentioned, there is something called the honeymoon period, which a lot of newly diagnosed diabetics experience. At the time of diagnosis, most type 1s still have some insulin producing cells. Therefore, less insulin will need to be injected until the immune system is done destroying the cells.

Type 2 is by and large a different animal. This is often to do with insulin resistance. Basically the body is still producing insulin, but is not using it correctly. Unfortunately, insulin producing cells are fairly fragile. The body reacts to higher blood sugars by producing more insulin. This overworks the cells, which start to burn out. This means that there are less cells, doing an increasingly overworked job. Over years, the problem is exacerbated. Often, the aim of treatment for type 2 diabetics is to reduce insulin resistance. This can be through a mixture of treatments, including medication, diet and lifestyle changes. A very important point is that you should never believe what the media tell you in this case: type 2 diabetics are not just fat people who caused it themselves. In fact, this is never the case. Obese type 2 diabetics (and not all type 2 diabetics are obese) probably had malfunctioning pancreases before they ever gained the weight. Fluctuating blood sugars are an extremely effective way at making you hungry. And I mean ravenous. Imagine a time before you were diagnosed where you had not eaten for a long time. Maybe you had been out all day and had skipped a couple of meals. Your body tells you 'I need to be fed, now!' With blood sugars swinging all over the place, this is a message that the body will transmit almost constantly. Therefore, untreated type 2 diabetes can sometimes cause obesity, not the other way round.

The important point is that regardless of what type you are, diabetes can be effectively treated and managed. The more you know, the better equipped you are to deal with your condition :). Regarding testing 8 times a day, I test at least that many times and I have been a type 1 diabetic for almost 25 years. In my opinion you are being sensible in this regard. Any UK healthcare professional that tells you otherwise is doing so because George Osbourne is breathing down their neck and telling them to cut costs.
Best of luck in your journey, and keep letting us know how you are getting on :).

P.S. if you want some brilliant information, go to youtube and search for doctor Troy Stapleton. He is an australian doctor who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 2012. He gives very accessible talks about the way he manages his condition effectively, and avoids hypos despite participation in strenuous sporting activities.