Travelling abroad & storage of Insulin

tankgirl

Hi all, I'm newbie to the forum so forgive an breaches of etiquette.
Basically my query regards the safe storage of Insulin when travelling abroad.
I'm a Type 2 but my 19 year old son is Type 1 and has mooted discussions re doing a bit of backpacking around Europe, which is fantastic.
However, practicalities of travelling over the summer have caused me to wonder how he could ensure his Insulin supplies, required to cover him for the 8 weeks, could be stored at the recommended (refrigerated) temperatures?
Short of humping a portable fridge in his rucksack, we're stuck for ideas!
Does anyone know of protocols or equipment which would facilitate him doing the whole student summer experience without compromising his health?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Vivienne

Hi,
I travel a lot and usually keep my insulin in hand luggage when travelling. If staying somewhere without a fridge in the room, then I usually ask at the reception for them to store insulin in a fridge.
We spent 3 weeks on safari in Namibia early this year and although we were in tented accomodation, the camp had a kitchen and fridge. You have to remember to get back your insulin before leaving!
Happy travelling
Vivienne

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
For safe and proper storage of Insulin / Byetta whilst travelling have a look at this website which is advertised on the front page of this website via a link.

http://www.friouk.com/buy/

Frio products are used worldwide in all sorts of temperatures.

Ken.

tankgirl

cugila said:
For safe and proper storage of Insulin / Byetta whilst travelling have a look at this website which is advertised on the front page of this website via a link.

Ken.

Exactly what I was after!
You're a star!
Thanks muchly :mrgreen:

JamesA

I've always bought my Frios from Lloyds pharmacy as sometimes they're cheaper than directly from the company.

I take a big one and a smaller one for when going out for the evening to a restaurant.
It's also wise to keep a spare (unactivated) one in your suitcase/rucksack.

One split once on holiday, but I think that was because I left it in the water too long and allowed it to swell up too much and then cramed too much stuff in.
Also when you get back from holiday they can go mouldy and musty if you chuck them in a cupboard without enough air flow.

Also I find hotels will never actually guarantee that your room will have a fridge/minibar.
I've had all sorts of arguments with holiday companies and often ended up contacting the hotels directly.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Vivienne said:
I travel a lot and usually keep my insulin in hand luggage when travelling.

Great advice, the temperature in an airliners baggage hold will drop below freezing at high altitude and if your Insulin is in there it will be ruined...

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
I think the bigger (city centre) branches of Boots also sometimes stock them, so worth a look if there's one near you.

tankgirl

Likelihood of 19yr old student backpacking on limited budget staying in hotel accommodation - not very! :lol:
I ordered online and equipment all delivered today!
Thanks muchly for all info & advice.

iHs

cugila said:

Ken.

Just in case there are people who cannot afford to buy a Frio bag or want to travel 'light' lol, insulin will keep cool all ok simply by putting it inside a sandwich bag and wrapping it up in a nice wet cold flannel and then putting that inside another plastic bag. I have been abroad to baking hot countries a few times and never bothered with Frio bags. Also, insulin keeps cool by submerging it in a sink filled up with cold water too. I have never bothered to ask at a hotel for my insulin to go in one of their fridges, I've just used the bathroom sink :mrgreen:

jan123

I've got my frio bag already for my hols to Cuba, I ordered it Monday and it came on Tuesday! Also anyone with an Abbott meter register it with Abbott, visit their website and claim a free travel bag, I'm feeling pretty gutted because I bought a nice shiny leather not very pliable or light Desang case and the free bag from Abbott is much better!

tony13579

We traveled the US and Canada by van last summer. We stored my wifes meds in the travel pouch, inside a cool bag chilled via the 12v car electrics http://www.mobilegas.co.uk/mobilecoolbox/electriccoolbox/ The mobicool bag folds flat-ish to 2" thick.

We had two hotel fridges fail on us in a 3 week tour! :evil:

her drugs (betainterferon) were tollerant to 20 degrees (recommended 5 degrees)
we took extra cold blocks and always put her pack and a cool block in a poly bag in the fridge at night whilst another cool block was in the freezer.

For traveling out I would recommend packing the 8 week supplies in a good insulated box. (I could give you one 18" cubed, pm me if you need it. ) The airlines generally don't count medical stuff into your weight allowances. Dont forget to get a letter from your GP.

crushersmum

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have a type 1 brother-in-law who got very ill in Zambia when his insulin when off 5 days before the end of the holiday when the local elctricity supplies failed and the fridge when off - don't take risks use the Frio.
I have taken my son (also type1) to Colombia for 6 weeks and stayed on a farm with an intermittent electricity supply in tropical heat with no problems using a Frio.
We took twice what we needed (ie asked the GP for a prescription for 12 weeks worth of supplies) just in case some got lost during the 3 day Journey there and split the supplies into two different people while we were travelling.

While we were staying on the farm we left half the spare insulin in a fridge in a city about 2 hours drive away with a relative (better electricity in htat area at the time) as a backup in case anything when wrong while the travelling as it would have been impossible to obtain spare insulin anywhere in colombia had we lost all of it.
The diabetes UK main site does great country booklets with a few details of what is available locally which is worth checking before you go.
The hardest is getting the spare insulin & spare 100 needles back through customs as security getting out of colombia is difficult with anything that they don't recognise.

emmele

Local garage is selling these great water bottles, they have a cold stick inside which you freeze and then put inside the bottle and u can put a byetta pen in very easily - great for the travelling bits where you don't have a fridge. Also if you can't get fridge in room an ice bucket kept full with ice is good - remove lid and place byetta pen in plastic box on top - this will keep nice and cool, as long as you keep changing the ice. Sorry no experience with insulin.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
emmele said:
Local garage is selling these great water bottles, they have a cold stick inside which you freeze and then put inside the bottle and u can put a byetta pen in very easily - great for the travelling bits where you don't have a fridge. Also if you can't get fridge in room an ice bucket kept full with ice is good - remove lid and place byetta pen in plastic box on top - this will keep nice and cool, as long as you keep changing the ice. Sorry no experience with insulin.

Hi emmele.

Are you aware that Byetta should never be stored at a temperature below 2 deg C nor above 25 deg C. The temperature range is critical as with Insulins. Too high or too low and it will kill them both.
You need to check the actual temp of the methods you are advocating ? I am also unclear if you are putting the pen in water or not. They are not waterproof and not designed for such use. :?