Chance to trail a continuous blood glucose monitor for free

martinsoton

Hi Group.

There is a research project currently running at Southampton Hospital (UK). It is researching into "Dynamic modelling of the effect of physical activity on capillary blood glucose
concentration." - Or how activity affects blood sugar levels. There are a wide range of participants or all ages and levels of fitness. There are currently 21 people signed up but they are hoping to find 30 willing vaulanteers.

The doctors for ethical reasons are not allowed to "recruit" on forums such as this, but i am a participant in this trail and am allowed to talk about it on this forum. I recommend it to any type 1 diabetic that has the time to get to Southampton Hospital (UK). If you dirrect message me if you are interested i will forward all of the email addresses onto the team and they will email you back. The trail is being fuded by Diabetes UK.

Part of this trail includes the use of a continous blood glucose monitor. The doctors there are really great. I took park in visit 1 (see below) and personally found the results of all these tests incredably insightful into how diabetes affects me persoanlly rather than to people generally. I now know what my resting metabolic rate is (2400 kal per day). I hope to learn more about how i can control my condition as I go through this trail.

Essentially it is broken down in the following steps:

Visit 1
Clinical Tests
1. VO2 max (fitness test)
2. Indirect calorimetry (test of metabolic rate)
3. Hand grip strength (test of muscle strength)
4. Ankle-Brachial pressure index (test of peripheral blood flow)
5. Blood test (kidney, liver and thyroid function, HbA1C and cholesterol levels)
6. Microalbuminiria (test of protein excretion in urine)
7. Body composition using bioimpedance, DEXA scan and Bod Pod (assessment of body fat)
8. Microvascular function and muscle/skin blood flow (assessment of muscle and skin
blood flow)
(Some of these tests can be undertaken on visit 2)

Volunteer’s Tasks
Wear the SenseWearTM physical activity monitoring device for a minimum of one
week up to two weeks (depending on the volunteer’s availability)
Record their blood glucose levels when pricking their fingers
Record their daily insulin dosage, as part of their normal clinical care.
Record their daily food intake

Visit 2
(This visit will take place one to two weeks after visit 1)
No Clinical Tests
Collect the data

Volunteer’s Tasks
Same as visit 1 but the volunteer will now be given a continuous blood glucose
measuring device (Guardian® Real-Time System) which has to be worn for a
minimum of one week up to two weeks (depending on the volunteer’s
availability)

Visit 3
This visit will take place one to two weeks after visit 2
No Clinical Tests
Collect the Data
Version 2. January 2008 REC: 8 07/H0502/134
No Volunteer’s Tasks – End of first part of study

Visit 4
(This visit will take place four to six months after visit 3)
No Clinical Tests
Volunteer’s Tasks
Same as visit 1

Visit 5
This visit will take place one to two weeks after visit 4
No Clinical Tests
Collect the Data
Volunteer’s Tasks
Same as visit 2

Visit 6
This visit will take place one to two weeks after visit 5
Clinical Tests
Blood test (kidney, liver and thyroid function, HbA1C and cholesterol levels)
Indirect calorimetry (test of metabolic rate)
Body composition using bioimpedance, DEXA scan and Bod Pod
(assessment of body fat)
Collect the Data
No Volunteer’s Tasks – End of Study

yipster29

Hi Martin

I've heard from the people doing the trial already so thanks for passing my details on. I think any research that helps move T1 diabetes treatment on is great so will be delighted to take part... and the use of a continuous monitor for a while is added bonus!! I may see you at the hospital sometime!! I'll be the one trying to blag a lift to the Isle of Wight ferry!!

Hope you hear back quick too Emm!!

Thanks again for posting this

Cath

martinsoton

Hi Everyone

I have had 4 people so far.. Please can you remember to send me your email address, as the doctors will need this in order to make contact with you. I will send all responces them over to the hospital in batches at the end of the day.

Cath i live just by the ferry terminal, so if we can coordinate the same days i don’t mind giving you a lift to the hospital. They even pay for the hospital parking!!

yipster29

Even better!! thanks Martin! you've got my email address now so send me yours somewhen. Do you know when this starts? I have asked them. :D

lindalewis

So, I've always had a very low resting heart rate (45-55) and very, very low blood pressure (80/60 sometimes). In doing some research, I've found that a VERY low metabolism might cause this. Clearly, I always had a low metabolism since I wasn't really working out much and was eating like, one meal a day. These numbers are extremely low for someone my size (245lbs, 5'6" female, 26 years old).

So my question is, since I've been eating 5-6 times a day and working out...I've actually noticed a large increase in my resting heart rate. It's now 85-95, and when I was at the pharmacy last week I put my arm in the blood pressure monitor just for fun, and I had HIGH blood pressure, which has never been a problem. The doctor recorded it as extremely low less than 6 months ago!

Could this be from a metabolic change? Do I just need to stick with it to see my BP and heart rate go down again as I get healthier? Or could this just be from an underlying medical condition?

I know this is a question for the doctor but I'm really curious as to whether or not anyone else has heard of metabolism affecting BP and HR.