Been asked to come off insulin pump whilst flying

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

My 8yr old is a type1 and she has been on the pump for the last 8 months...we were really looking forward to our summer holidays when the airline (Aer Lingus) informed us that we have to remove the pump and use the injections :(((

I do feel for my girl and anxious about getting it set before we travel on Thursday.

Has anyone moved to injections while traveling recently and have they faced any issues during the flight and to set the pump back after ???

Any updates or advice will be much appreciated....Thanks!!!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did they give any reason why you'd have to remove the pump?

I've travelled on a number of airlines ( but not that one) and never had to do that.

What have they asked you to do with the pump during the flight? Can you keep it with you? Does it have to be turned off?

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Azure,

They said it was because of the Bluetooth. I did send them the copy of a booklets saying Bluetooth can be switched off but they refused anyway.

They said it has to be completely switched off.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've travelled a few times with my pump on planes too and never had a problem (it also used Bluetooth). Might be worth contacting your DSN / pump nurse or consultant to check if they've heard of this before and what advise they can give you.

Also worth asking for a medical note explaining all the medications and items that need to be carried on board for the pump (if you don't have one already).

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It wouldn't occur to me to inform the airline if I used an insulin pump! We also know that leaving mobile phones switched on during take off and landing has no impact whhatsoever on flight telematic systems, so it seems a bit extreme!

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks patch 13, tim2000s for your response! I was a bit shocked too...especially because I had been calling and sending all the information to them. Now I can't afford to dawdle as we travel tomorrow but it looks like no one has had to move to injections.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Azure,

They said it was because of the Bluetooth. I did send them the copy of a booklets saying Bluetooth can be switched off but they refused anyway.

They said it has to be completely switched off.

Then I presume they also take away everyone's tablets and phones? If you can switch the Bluetooth off I don't see the problem.

It sounds like it's too late for you to do anything now (unless you just turn up, leave the pump on and don't mention it) but you might want to consider making a complaint afterwards.

I don't tell the airline about my pump in advance. I tell Security at the airport, show them my Dr's letter and get the usual pat down, swab of pump for chemicals, etc. No one has mentioned my pump on the plane.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
My pump has an airplane setting just like my mobile. This sounds very odd. I have my letter from my DSN and it states the pump needs to remain attached to me 24 hours a day.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Feel for you. Never heard of this but, like others, I never actually inform the airline about the pump. Airport security are getting more used to seeing them so that doesnt normally cause any problem. I hope you managed to get on with it ok although it sounds as if you may have had to take it off for this flight which is a real pain. A strong letter needs to be sent to them as they probably have hundreds of people flying with pumps on their aircrafts every year without a problem. Ijots

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I move to pens when on holiday. I find it's about planning it and being a head for example last minute removing of pump putting only half lantus in monitoring through travel to adjust to time difference. Everyone is right who has commented they can't refuse if you have medical letters to support it. I do pens because o have had a lot of issues with my pump ie been stopped many times at airports but never refused plus I use pens because of personal experience

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I feel for you too, seems extreme to me. I do hope you all have a lovely, happy and a safe holiday x

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for the encouraging words...fingers crossed that it goes smoothly for my little girl!

Hi I fly a lot with are lingus and on a pump, to be honest I wouldn't bother telling them, I don't think it's something they need to know, and they don't understand, I know this prob. Doesn't help much

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I fly regularly, never bothered telling various airlines and never had an issue.

I never put the pump through scanners, just pass it to security and get it hand swabbed.

I wouldn't fret about it.

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
@Topher and Buckley,

Thanks for the assurance....have decided to follow your advice for all further trips :)

Thanks everyone for the support and valuable insights from personal experiences...I had a bit of a trouble managing her levels during travel and for a few days there after but now she's settled....so every thing ok for now :)

Reactions: 2 people