Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Hi went to see the dn this morning about self testing , saw a different nurse who said i should self test because i drive hgv and the unsociable hours . They can give me a machine and test strips but will have to see my own doctor but cant see him until the 1st of june so will keep using my mates until then

Reactions: 2 people

Stemar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

I've been reading the forum on how much your Test Strips cost, I use a One Touch Verio and the strips are subsadised by the NDSS (National Diabetic Service System) and they cost 60 cents for a box of 100 strips. All one has to do to get this discount is to register with NDSS, they then send you a card you present whenever you purchase your strips, so maybe with so many diabetics on this forum somebody could draw up a petion to the government and request they subsidise the cost of your test strips, just like they do here in Australia. I hope this is of help but I know it will take time but if you get the Forum Members behind it that time could be reduced. So Good Luck!

Stemar, (Downunder).

clairelv

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.
i haven't been told not to teat blood sugar but it is true that we always neglect our blood sugar . maybe we need mind it even you think you are very healthy

KPJ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Xyzzy, I have had my metform reduced from 4 a day to 2 a day the same as 2 others I know and the doctor has told me not to test unless I am feeling ill. They won't admit to saving money but we all know that is the case.
KPJ

Stemar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To what point, so you can have them shot after the revolution?

Just seems a totally pointless thread to me, its not going to change anything

Hi Sid,

You need to have a positive attitude as there is strength in numbers, I'm from Downunder and when I was advised that I was Type 2, I was sent to a research center where my situation was explained to me, during this consultation the importance of Testing My BGL's was made very clear to me. As the person conducting the interview said, until I understood how my Diabetes Worked, I should test at least 4, to 6 times a day, before and 2 hours after each meal.

Here in Australia we have a Diabetes Council called (NDSS) or National Diabetes Services Scheme who subsidize our purchase of Test Strips, considerably, as a box of 100 strips cost me 60 cents, because if it wasn't for this service I for one wouldn't be able to afford my test strips, if I was to purchase them without the subsidy, they would cost between $30.00 and $35.00, or in GBP (14 to 17) plus VAT, so it can be very costly for an individual to take full control of their condition. But this scheme was bought about by people who were diabetic and health professionals who understood the importance of each person's control and understanding of their own position and their control of their own progress of this condition. So if each person on this forum was to sign a petition To Have Test Strips Subsidized, then that's over 1 million signatures. Also they could talk to their local member of the Government, because I bet a number of them either have the condition themselves, or know someone who does. It wont happen overnight that's for sure, but the quicker it was put into motion the quicker it'll be part of the public record, maybe the operators of this Web Site could assist in giving direction and kicking the petition off, as testing on a regular basis does become very expensive without help of some kind.

7 x 4 = 28 A box of test strips holds 2 containers, of 50 strips each. So to test 4 times a day, you would need a new box every 3 weeks.
EG:
7 x 6 = 42 To test 6 times a day, you would need a new box every 2 weeks.

I hope someone takes this by the horn and runs with it, as we need to stick together and get assistance for all those who find themselves fighting this condition, as you don't need the financial burden as well, on top of the worry and stress of having this condition can cause a lot of us, so I wish you good luck and my signature, when it's up and running.

Stemar, (Downunder)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

Hi Sid,

You need to have a positive attitude as there is strength in numbers

Hi Stemar Im afraid I still hold the same view that I held last year when the op posted:

This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics.......... I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.

I have edited the post down to the relevant parts that I was answering.

I am not against testing and if you think that I am you are totally wrong, no what I find ridiculous is that members here apparently thinking they have the power to change NHS policy by naming the doctors who wont prescribe test strips!! Which apart from seeming to me to be rather sinister it is just plain ridiculous IMHO.

I have controlled my T2 for over 6 years now by losing a lot of weight and testing my blood glucose before and after eating every meal for over 12 months continually tweaking the carbs in my diet and finding out what I can and cant eat but more importantly what I can eat and in what portions, so you are preaching to the converted telling me how important testing is.

That was not the point of my post at all. But of course if you share the view that naming doctors who will not prescribe test strips in the UK will make an iota of difference to NHS policy that is, of course, your prerogative.

I would also point out that generally speaking it is forbidden to post details of particular doctors or even hospitals here especially in a negative light as it could be construed as libellous which the forum owners would not wish to defend I imagine.

Stemar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi went to see the dn this morning about self testing , saw a different nurse who said i should self test because i drive hgv and the unsociable hours . They can give me a machine and test strips but will have to see my own doctor but cant see him until the 1st of june so will keep using my mates until then

Hi Oldman 1954,

It's a shame you have to use your mates test strips, also the price of the strips is a real burden,
I feel you should try to see your local member of Government and try to get him onside, as to
submitting a petition to have them subsidized, what harm could it do. Anyway I hope things
turn for the better for you and everyone else in the near future, Good Luck!!!

Stemar, (Downunder)

Stemar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Stemar Im afraid I still hold the same view that I held last year when the op posted:

I am not against testing and if you think that I am you are totally wrong, no what I find ridiculous is that members here apparently thinking they have the power to change NHS policy by naming the doctors who wont prescribe test strips!! Which apart from seeming to me to be rather sinister it is just plain ridiculous IMHO.

I have controlled my T2 for over 6 years now by losing a lot of weight and testing my blood glucose before and after eating every meal for over 12 months continually tweaking the carbs in my diet and finding out what I can and cant eat but more importantly what I can eat and in what portions, so you are preaching to the converted telling me how important testing is.

That was not the point of my post at all. But of course if you share the view that naming doctors who will not prescribe test strips in the UK will make an iota of difference to NHS policy that is, of course, your prerogative.

I would also point out that generally speaking it is forbidden to post details of particular doctors or even hospitals here especially in a negative light as it could be construed as libellous which the forum owners would not wish to defend I imagine.[/QUOT

Hi Sid Bonkers,

I'm sorry if I miss understood your post, but after reading your response I think that you need to take into account that a lot of health care workers and doctors think that Type 2 Diabetes is solely a life style Condition, so therefore are under the belief that if you loose the weight, exercise and eat responsibly then your condition will be reversed. Which is totally wrong so it's their ignorance that makes them think this way, unfortunately they in turn don't give a person with this condition the respect and treatment they deserve. As for naming and shaming them, well you may find this will do more harm than good, as when their profession is bought into question they tend to gather as one group, so rather than attack those who are against testing, why not try to get those that are for testing, to come on board, that way your asking for help rather than critersising their ability. As you also need to keep the public onside, as a lot of the public still think doctors are infallible, but their not, that's why you never get a direct response to a question, it's always half answered and leaves you scratching your head as to what is happening. So I hope you can acept my apology and give your approach some thought before taking on the medical profession, but no matter what you choose to do I wish you Good Luck, in your task!!!

Stemar, (Downunder)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
So I hope you can acept my apology and give your approach some thought before taking on the medical profession, but no matter what you choose to do I wish you Good Luck, in your task!!!

Stemar, (Downunder)

No need to apologise, just accept that I am entitled to my opinion and its my opinion that it is totality pointless to name individual doctors (and very likely libellous).

Apart from anything else it is a question of money and the NHS is almost bankrupt and the advisory body to the NHS (NICE) have advised all doctors to withdraw test strips from diabetics who are not using insulin and other hypo inducing meds so it not really down to individual doctors anyway but more to do with how different surgeries handle their own budgets.

I am just a realist, others apparently are not and seem to believe that an internet forum can influence government policy which to my knowledge has never happened before and is highly unlikely to happen at any stage in the future.

I am as I have already said an advocate of testing so we are on the same page there it is just the question of naming individual doctors that I have issue with, I have cultivated a very good working relationship with my GP who still allows me a couple of boxes of test strips a year even though I rarely test nowadays as I am well controlled, having had HbA1c's in the mid 5's for 6 years.
I would therefore recommend that cultivating a good relationship with a GP is going to do a lot more good for anyone in both the short and long term than being vindictive and making lists of doctors, apparently to be dealt with after the revolution ;)

Some members here seem to have an aggressive attitude towards their GP's which I find both strange in the extreme to the point of being ludicrous which can do no good to them or their health IMHO.

Stemar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I would also point out that generally speaking it is forbidden to post details of particular doctors or even hospitals here especially in a negative light as it could be construed as libellous which the forum owners would not wish to defend I imagine.

Hi Sid,

I think my first response to your post was caused by a lack of understanding of the situation at present in the UK. As I totally agree with you that puting together a list of doctors, who one intends to take to task, is totally a waste of time, because as soon as anyone tries to shame any doctor, they all join forces and close ranks, as together they are a formidable force with a wide focus field. So after reading your latest response I saw we were both on the same page, concerning doctors, as nothing will come of bringing their actions out in the public. So I'm sorry I misunderstood your post. Anyway on a lighter note it great to see you have gotten control of your condition, as I'm only just startting the journey of gaining that type of control hopefully, but it's all trial and error I guest. Well good luck and take care of yourself.

Stemar, (Downunder)

BigAl57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hip hop
I was told that I did not need to test by by Dr trouble is how do I know what my BG doing throughout the day. In the end I bought one so I am going to record my results over A two week period and show them to my Dr and see if I can convince him

desidiabulum

Hello Sid. You know perfectly well that this thread is not about naming individual doctors. I spelt that out very clearly in no.49 -- 'I meant gathering examples of things that have been said (just as the DUK survey did) to get a sense of the scale of the problem -- not making lists of errant GPs in a witch-hunt.'
You don't like this thread. Fine. But don't make unfounded accusations

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You don't like this thread. Fine. But don't make unfounded accusations

You dont like my opinions thats fine but remember this is a public forum where anyone and everyone is entitled to post their opinions.

And exactly what unfounded accusations did I make? I dont remember making any accusation only answering a question quoiting me and in my original post was just giving my opinion.

This is exactly the type post that is the reason why I and many others who do not hold your views do not post here much any more. Thanks for reminding me.

desidiabulum

You dont like my opinions thats fine but remember this is a public forum where anyone and everyone is entitled to post their opinions.

And exactly what unfounded accusations did I make? I dont remember making any accusation only answering a question quoiting me and in my original post was just giving my opinion.

This is exactly the type post that is the reason why I and many others who do not hold your views do not post here much any more. Thanks for reminding me.

Hello Sid. I have no desire to argue with you, but you seem determined. You have claimed repeatedly that the thread is about naming and shaming individual doctors. I have repeatedly denied this -- and have explained that it is about gathering examples of things said, entirely along the lines of the DUK questionnaire. So if you keep condemning it as 'ludicrous' and 'pointless' for demanding things which no one is demanding, what on earth is that if it isn't an 'unfounded accusation'?
I have nothing against your 'opinions' -- when have I ever attacked them? When you make an unfounded accusation I point this out -- what is wrong with that?
And what do you take 'my views' to be?
All I want is for a thread aiming to collect material about a worrying trend in diabetes care to continue. It is a phenomenon that has aroused Diabetes UK's concern. I think we should be concerned too.

Last edited by a moderator:

novarapid91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a type 1 and was told several times that I did not need to test more than once a day. Upon telling the doctor that I can't do my insulin dosage without knowing what my blood sugar was she just went on to say I was testing too much. Ridiculous!

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't test every day but if I don't feel well I want to know what my BG is doing. I can feel terrible yet have great BG so it doesn't always enlighten me. However, as I pointed out to my GP it's all very well for the practice nurse to rubbish testing, but HbA1Cs are de facto after the event whereas if I get a high result at least I have an opportunity to head in the right direction.

silverbirch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 'diagnosed' as Type 2 and told not to test - they'd call me back in a year to see how I was doing. For 9 months I walked around trying to control LADA on diet and exercise - still, at least I didn't know I was killing myself - if I'd been testing it would have only stressed me LOL. The nurse was still telling me not to test when I went back really ill and weighing about 6 stone. Strangely, when I finally bought a meter and tested at 26mmol, they said to come in straightaway and were falling over themselves to give me test strips.

Smidge

I think, like you @smidge there are quite a few of us wearing that T-shirt.

KimDaleManor

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Everyone

I have also been told today about not testing. I'm in the UK and some months attended a "DESMONDS" workshop - discussing Type 2 and understanding more about how to manage. Testing was an integral part of the management programme, especially following a change in dosage of medication. Now it seems there is a change in opinion about testing.

Have been told there is new information available supporting this but I can't find this - does any one have any information on this. Meanwhile I am going to test when I want - it' my condition, my life and my prerogative to do so.

Also have been told the maximum meteor min dose has reduced from 3000 per day to 2000 per day - again has anyone any information on this?

Many Thanks

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Recent article published in Science Daily:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/08/150805075843.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+sciencedaily+(Latest+Science+News+--+ScienceDaily)

People with type 2 diabetes can lower their blood sugar and benefit from following a structured, personalized self-monitoring blood glucose (SMBG) schedule even if they don't require insulin, suggest data being presented at AADE15, the American Association of Diabetes Educators Annual Meeting & Exhibition.

The new research suggests working with a diabetes educator to create an individualized, structured schedule for blood glucose testing helps motivate people with type 2 diabetes who don't require insulin to eat healthier, be active and take their medications -- and as a result, lower their blood sugar levels. Some researchers, insurers and health care providers have questioned whether there is value in SMBG in those with type 2 diabetes who are not taking insulin; and in fact, many healthcare providers (including Medicare) limit the reimbursement of SMBG testing strips to one a day for people with type 2 diabetes.

"Participants in this study said that sticking to a regular SMBG schedule really helped them to know where their blood levels were and take appropriate action, such as adding physical activity or choosing a healthy snack," said diabetes educator Dana Brackney, PhD, RN, CDE, assistant professor of nursing at Appalachian State University, Boone, N.C. "They said it helped them accept that they had diabetes, but also feel confident that they could control it rather than letting it control them."

Brackney and her colleagues worked with the 11 participants in the study to design personalized, structured SMBG schedules that would provide the most helpful information to patients and their medical teams. The majority found self-monitoring twice a day to be most helpful in providing meaningful information regarding their blood sugar levels relevant to meals and activity; but there was room for individualization based on the individual's lifestyle and needs. For example, a patient might check twice a day three days a week instead of checking once a day seven days a week.

"Diabetes educators can help patients work around barriers to find a personalized testing plan that makes sense for them," Brackney said. "They help patients learn when and why blood glucose levels were most problematic and to confront those situations head on by developing a plan to be healthier."

Although it was not the focus of the study, the 11 participants lowered their A1C (blood glucose) levels from an average of 7.3 percent to an average of 6.2 percent. In patients with diabetes, the goal is to keep A1C levels below 7 percent.

Researchers found that patients in the study would react to their SMBG readings by eating a little less, or going for a walk. The study confirmed that patients do react to their test results and make positive changes, which many health care providers didn't think would happen, Brackney said. Testing helped patients see that they were benefitting by taking charge of their diabetes, including by taking their medication, eating right and being active, she noted.

"Most of the participants in the study were self-described 'country folk' who found that they were able to control their diabetes," Brackney said. "This study helps doctors and nurses to understand how people with type 2 diabetes can benefit from SMBG."

More than 29 million Americans -- nearly one in 10 -- have diabetes, 90 percent of whom have type 2 diabetes. Diabetes is a disorder in which the body doesn't effectively process glucose, which provides the body fuel for energy and growth. While diabetes can't be cured, it can be managed with medication and lifestyle changes.

Story Source:
The above post is reprinted from materials provided by American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE). Note: Materials may be edited for content and length.

Shame the accountants seem to be in charge instead of medical professionals.

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I think there are two separate issues here. Doctors who say don't test, and doctors who say we are not going to fund your test strips.

I think the former is really bad, and the latter is just the way of the world, and something we should accept, at least for now.

There are a lot of conditions and disabilities where people have to partly fund their self-management, treatment or care. It sucks, but you can spend your time trying to fight the system, or you can look for the cheapest test strips you can find.

Where doctors, or nurses, are telling people testing is pointless or harmful, that is a big problem and the people charged with educating these people need to do something about that.