Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Type2Guy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning was a move in the right direction with a fasting blood glucose of 6.7 (120). I avoided eating any grains yesterday, which seems to make a noticeable difference in my blood glucose lottery playing strategy. I also went for a walk along Lake Michigan before bed, which included a minute long sprint to inform a cop stationed at the entrance of the park of a youth gang disagreement that seemed primed to make Chicago even more infamous for its murder rate. I feel as if I should have scored an even better fasting blood glucose number from the benefit of last night's impromptu late night exercise, but I'm now convinced that my anxiety is so threatened by the possibility of my ability to cope better, even without junk food to keep it at bay, that it is doing whatever it can to trigger reasons for me to be perpetually unnerved in my quest for diabetes control by way of rigging the numbers to rise. I expect things will eventually settle down after the lobotomy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 18 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Oh my friend :-o
Clusters are pure evil, I am truly sorry for you Mate!
I wish I could do something else besides wishing you all the strength you need :-D
Moshe
While i have you lovely people on this forum for support i can get through any thing

Reactions: 12 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @JenniferW. As a shift worker, I sleep strange hours & haven't got what I'd describe as a "normal" sleep pattern. My liver dump happens whenever I wake up after a continuous sleep..be that during the day or night. Also, if I go too long in between meals, without any snacks, my liver punishes me for that too. Before I was diagnosed, my blood glucose levels were high & I could sleep the clock round but still wake up shattered. That's a symptom of consistently elevated BG. So, if you're testing regularly, & your levels are ok, then you might just be one of those unfortunate people who have TATT syndrome. (Tired All The Time.) Good health to you hun. X

Alison, I'd like to comment on something you said in your post, and something I've read before. Specifically, you talked about your liver punishing you when you have a liver dump?

Whilst I know liver dumps are very frustrating, all you are doing is cycling your body's stores of glucose, to raise your levels a little, to help you cope with e exertions of waking, getting up etc., or to keep you going if you're running short of fuel.

Our body store glucose, as a natural function of metabolism. When a liver dump happens, it releases some of that store into our bloodstreams, which raises the numbers. When we next come to eat, the first thing our bodies do is to replenish the store it has released, so that it refills that coping mechanism for the future.

Have you noticed that when people talk about the Dawn Phenomenon, they then often comment they don't see much of a rise after breakfast? Well, that's because some of the energy they have just consumed has gone into their liver, for another time, rather than remain circulating in their bloodstream. In the longer run, it all evens itself out; after all we've only consumed what we've consumed.

Whilst i appreciate the bigger numbers can be alarming, or at best annoying, but personally, I view the odd liver dump as a good thing, as I see it in my (albeit very odd) mind as healthily turning over the supplies - a bit like I try to cycle my the supplies I keep in my larder, using oldest first.

Obviously that's ultra, ultra simplistic, but I find if I can distil complex concepts into simple language I get the hang of things more quickly.

Reactions: 11 people

MosheBenYehuda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Alison, I'd like to comment on something you said in your post, and something I've read before. Specifically, you talked about your liver punishing you when you have a liver dump?

Whilst I know liver dumps are very frustrating, all you are doing is cycling your body's stores of glucose, to raise your levels a little, to help you cope with e exertions of waking, getting up etc., or to keep you going if you're running short of fuel.

Our body store glucose, as a natural function of metabolism. When a liver dump happens, it releases some of that store into our bloodstreams, which raises the numbers. When we next come to eat, the first thing our bodies do is to replenish the store it has released, so that it refills that coping mechanism for the future.

Have you noticed that when people talk about the Dawn Phenomenon, they then often comment they don't see much of a rise after breakfast? Well, that's because some of the energy they have just consumed has gone into their liver, for another time, rather than remain circulating in their bloodstream. In the longer run, it all evens itself out; after all we've only consumed what we've consumed.

Whilst i appreciate the bigger numbers can be alarming, or at best annoying, but personally, I view the odd liver dump as a good thing, as I see it in my (albeit very odd) mind as healthily turning over the supplies - a bit like I try to cycle my the supplies I keep in my larder, using oldest first.

Obviously that's ultra, ultra simplistic, but I find if I can distil complex concepts into simple language I get the hang of things more quickly.
That was very instructing, much appreciated :)

Reactions: 9 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Before breakfast 5.8
.breakfast
Tin of sardines
Sauerkraut
Tomato
You very
Beetroot
2h test 6.0
Hola Southbeds

Welcome to the forum - we haven't been introduced because I'm on parole - better be quick as I can hear the headmaster lurking round the corner.

Are you sure you need psyllium husk after that lot!

Shhhhhh. keep that just between me and you for now.

Laters.

Reactions: 16 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!

Hi @AndBreathe. What I meant when using the word "punish" is that my body doesn't like it when I go too long in between meals. I have never been a snacker, & I've struggled to get used to having to do so as another consequence of having Diabetes. As a busy nurse, I don't get meals at a regular time when at work. There's often whole shifts when I just don't have time to take a break. What are you supposed to do when a patient needs you...take your break or help the person in your care. No contest! I will choose caring for my patient every time. Unfortunately, It's led to a lifetime of poor eating habits, often with the main meal coming at the end of a shift having gone all day on just water & maybe a slice of toast. I now carry a small packet of mixed fruit/nuts in my tunic pocket so I can eat on the run. So, when my liver "punishes" me by dumping, I completely understand why....but, it's not always something I can do much about. Especially at work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hola Southbeds

Welcome to the forum - we haven't been introduced because I'm on parole - better be quick as I can hear the headmaster lurking round the corner.

Laters.

Attachments

• $_35.JPG
    $_35.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 147

emptyplate

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
You're not alone my Friend!
One thing I've learned in all my years of seemingly never ending struggle, if life throws something at you, throw it back :-/
How You're supposed to do that? I don't really know, I'm just doing it, starting with those I cannot rely on ;-)
As for being tough enough, you're still here, aren't You, Sir? :-D
Moshe

Yes still here but, sometimes (only sometimes) I get to wondering if that is a good thing or not. That sounds doom and gloom but, unfortunately, that's the reality for some people (probably more than we know) me included. I'm not mentioning it as a woe is me or having a pity party - just highlighting my struggles and how they impact my blood glucose management.

Thank you for your kind thoughts and the same is wished for you from me.

Reactions: 15 people

emptyplate

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Easy to say I know but chin up Buttercup....sometimes we get weary and tired of trying but we know it's what we have to do as no one will do it for us. Better times are around the corner :)....there isn't a hug smiley but have one anyway ((((hug))))

Yes it is easy to say and when you're down and almost out and weary of it all it's hard to take it in the spirit it is given. That's not to say I don't appreciate that well meaning spirit because I do.

There are no corners for me to turn - it is a valley with varying depths.

Thanks for the virtual hug though.

emptyplate

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

I've never fully understood that saying.

Does it mean that when it gets tough the tough "do one!" like, run away?

Or, does it mean the tough use tough times to motivate them?

It's just a bit unclear to me - although, I suspect it's the latter of the two scenarios I've mentioned above.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

It's just a bit unclear to me - although, I suspect it's the latter of the two scenarios I've mentioned above.
Agreed.

The one I really dislike is:
"If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger".....
just does my nuts that one
Hj

Reactions: 11 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8. Good considering I had a bun with dinner and chocolate before bed and I didnt manage to get any sleep last night

Reactions: 27 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hola Southbeds

Laters.
I think you might be safe for a couple of hours as the Head is probably on a pillow somewhere in the night... just be ready for the morn!

Reactions: 10 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Its a saying from the USA marines. It means that when things get tough [ ie as in a battle or struggle] then the determined and strong willed [ tough, resilient characters] get going ie apply themselves to the challenge , generally meant to be the fight for life.
Hope this is clear ?
I personally think its a great saying, simple and honest.

Reactions: 14 people
Status
Not open for further replies.