Any sweet at all?!

Halirez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys,
I'm kinda curious what kind of sweet you would you have with your cup of coffee or tea?
I know it's a bit naughty but come on... Sometimes I really need to have something sweet and wanna know what works best for type 2 diabetes? (I don't mean sugar or sweetener, but something more like a snack)

Cheers!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
nuts or 85% choc but generally just very strong espresso so you cant taste anything else so no point of snacking; or darjeeling tea, very light, so no point in snacking or you cant taste the tea

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi guys,
I'm kinda curious what kind of sweet you would you have with your cup of coffee or tea?
I know it's a bit naughty but come on... Sometimes I really need to have something sweet and wanna know what works best for type 2 diabetes? (I don't mean sugar or sweetener, but something more like a snack)

Cheers!
Entirely depends on what limits you impose on yourself. Depending on the level of my BS I might have a 2 finger kitkat (about 12g of carbs) or single biscuit (4 to 9 g) without injecting. A square of 70% dark choccy is around 4g. You need to test and find out what works for you.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I want a snack that is sweet I will usually have some of my homemade fudge slice which is only 3 carbs per slice.

Croc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
I always have a stash of the little sugar free jelly pots in the fridge

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Entirely depends on what limits you impose on yourself. Depending on the level of my BS I might have a 2 finger kitkat (about 12g of carbs) or single biscuit (4 to 9 g) without injecting. A square of 70% dark choccy is around 4g. You need to test and find out what works for you.
Yep, 2 finger kitkat (or rather Lidl's own version) is good for me!

Atalay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I stopped sweets on coffe and tea for a long time ago. I add regular milk into coffee, feels nice, smoother. Tastewise, sugar tastes very bad in hot beverages, now! Funny, but true. I, also left all types of sodas. Thankfully there is no Dr.Pepper in Turkey (addicted forever in the usa) else Id absolutely have it all day long! My Kryptonite!

Halirez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all
I feel better now to know what choices I have... I usually go for a digestive biscuit (the lights one) which is quite nice...
I guess now I can go for a dark chocolate as well...

Cheers

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got this recipe I've copied from somewhere, this forum I think.
Coconut Chocolate Stuff ... or "Almond Bark" by Rose Elliott!

100 grammes coconut oil (Always use virgin pressed)
100 grammes ground almonds (I use a blend of low carb ground nuts - including macadamia nuts!)
25 grammes pure raw cocoa powder
25 grammes granulated sweetener of choice (I use xylitol)

Melt coconut oil (this doesn't take long)
Throw in cocoa and mix well so you have chocolate oil
Stir in sweetener and allow to soften / disolve (whatever your chosen sweetener does!)
Stir in nuts
Mix it all really well and scoop/pour into plastic tub and allow to cool (coolest part of fridge) for at least 90 minutes
When set, cut and leave another few minutes before serving

If you want to eat chunks like fudge use a slightly smaller tub or if you want chocolate-like slabs use a large flat tub

Originally from Rose Elliots Low Carb Vegetarian (an excellent book) I adapted the recipe slightly

BENEFITS:

* zero impact on blood sugar
* beneficial compounds in coconut oil (yes the fat is saturated but it's the right molecule)
* beneficial compounds in cocoa
* almonds are known to reduce cholesterol
* tastes amazing
* unbelievably fast and easy to make
* makes 21 large servings

ENJOY ... I do!

Jem xoxoxoxox

EDIT TO ADD:

Quantity --- Food --- Calories --- Fat --- Protein --- Carb

100 grms - coconut oil - 900 - 100 - 0 - 0
100 grms - ground almonds - 615 - 55.8 - 21.1 - 6.9
20 grms - cocoa - 64 - 4.34 - 3.7 - 2.3
20 grms - Xylitol - 48 - 0 - 0 - 20
total - 1627 - 160.14 - 24.8 - 29.2
(21) serving - 77.5 - 7.6 - 1.2 - 1.4

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No problems here it is. It was originally called Low Carb Brownies but I renamed it Fudge Slice as I found that it reminded me of fudge. It is raining here today so I had 2 pieces with coffee for lunch.

Fudge Slice
60g chocolate (sugar free or dark choc if possible)
115g butter
1 cup granular artificial sweetener ( I use an erythritol/stevia blend)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 almond or hazelnut flour
1/4 tsp salt
Optional - 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans
Preheat the oven to 180C and line a 8x8 baking pan.
Melt the chocolate and the butter together in a saucepan or microwave.
Use an electric mixer to beat in your granular sweetener and then add in the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract and then add the almond flour and salt. Stir in the nuts if using.
Pour brownie mixture into pan and bake 20-25 mins. Let cool in pan and cut into squares.

Yields about 16 squares at 2 net carbs per slice if you use the recommended almond flour.

Cream Cheese Icing
Soften cream cheese and your own low carb ingredient preferences (I use 50g chocolate and 250g cream cheese)
If you prefer a sweeter icing add some sweetener of choice.

The carb count per square all depends on the type of chocolate and the amount of cream cheese you use.

Enjoy :)

Reactions: 4 people

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No problems here it is. It was originally called Low Carb Brownies but I renamed it Fudge Slice as I found that it reminded me of fudge. It is raining here today so I had 2 pieces with coffee for lunch.

Fudge Slice
60g chocolate (sugar free or dark choc if possible)
115g butter
1 cup granular artificial sweetener ( I use an erythritol/stevia blend)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 almond or hazelnut flour
1/4 tsp salt
Optional - 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans
Preheat the oven to 180C and line a 8x8 baking pan.
Melt the chocolate and the butter together in a saucepan or microwave.
Use an electric mixer to beat in your granular sweetener and then add in the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract and then add the almond flour and salt. Stir in the nuts if using.
Pour brownie mixture into pan and bake 20-25 mins. Let cool in pan and cut into squares.

Yields about 16 squares at 2 net carbs per slice if you use the recommended almond flour.

Cream Cheese Icing
Soften cream cheese and your own low carb ingredient preferences (I use 50g chocolate and 250g cream cheese)
If you prefer a sweeter icing add some sweetener of choice.

The carb count per square all depends on the type of chocolate and the amount of cream cheese you use.

Enjoy :)

Thanks for this, am definitely going to try this, but can I clarify 1/4 what of almond flour? If it's cup I'm never sure what that means anyway!

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Thanks for this, am definitely going to try this, but can I clarify 1/4 what of almond flour? If it's cup I'm never sure what that means anyway!
I think measuring in cups has come from USA but what is a cup? my daughter solved this problem. John Lewis sell a set of measuring cups that stack into each other like a Russian doll think they were £10 but worth it as lots more recipes seem to state cups these days

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes my daughter brought me some for my birthday, they are great.

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooh, now you mention it I do believe my Tala tin measuring jug has cup measurements on it! Thanks. :)